This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87883663 Buster Brown's Flying Columns: The Canadian Plan to Invade the US

New version above - please subscribe.

I added a few links, I did, Pig War and the comparative Schlieffen Plan as a reference. I also resisted the temptation to change 'World War I' to 'the First World War' (it might just be me, but using 'WWI' and 'WWII' always seems disrespectful, though 'World War I' I can live with).

Did you know that the UK had plans in the 1920s in place in case France declared war on Britain and threatened to invade? Largely because France was reluctant to demilitarise after the Great War, which made Britain question her motives. Some of the anti-invasion plans came in handy when Germany had conquered France and sought to invade the UK, but in other ways, particularly the speed with which aircraft technology developed, it was somewhat antiquated.

So have a read through and let me know if it can be sent on its way - if you have any comments, give me a shout.

<BB<

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Hi. Subscribed, proofread, found the links brilliant! smiley - biggrin

I don't mind 'First World War', myself. When I wrote this, I was in the middle of a school project. I unconsciously use all the standard conventions I have to use for school texts. smiley - rofl The official keyterms are World War I and World War II. I hate that, because it makes them so hard to find in a search engine. smiley - laugh I agree about WWI. I don't think you get to be flip about it unless you were actually there.

I didn't know about the British/French plan, but I'm not surprised. smiley - laugh People forget how many military camps there were all around the coast of Britain during the Napoleonic Wars, and how hard they planned to repel French invaders back then.

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 3

Bluebottle

Okay, I've sent it on its way. 'Course it wasn't just the Napoleonic Wars – I think I've written an entry or 20 on the Victorian forts they built around the Isle of Wight's coastline…

<BB<

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 4

smiley - rofl This is true. I've seen 'em.

smiley - ok Thanks!

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 5

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Subbing Buster Brown

Post 6

Thanks! smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more