A Conversation for Talking Point: Have You Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Decidedly mediocre encounters

Post 1

Mu Beta

OK. I once served Barry Chuckle from the Chuckle Brothers a few pints of Fosters when he was staying at the Bridge Hotel, Scunthorpe. I was working as a night porter there at the time.

I once stood next to Ulrika-ka-ka in a queue to get into Wembley (presumably this was when she was knocking off a famous footballer). It was the England-Scotland Euro 2000 qualifier, and it was such an awful match that I can't remember who won, although I do know it was 1-0.

I met Ron Atkinson, the famous racially tolerant football pundit, at a Motorway Services near Birmingham. We had a long chat about football and what a good player he thought Jason Lee was.

I literally walked into John Prescott on my way through the Strangers Bar on a visit to the House of Commons. I bounced.

B

Post 2

CAZZ72

I met 'Big Ron' Atkinson too - my sister was an Arsenal mascot many years ago at Crystal Palace and Ron was there. I even had a photo taken with him!

I served David Beckham many years ago, at a restaurant I was working in in Manchester. A couple of girls followed him in and tried to speak to him but he totally ignored them (yes he was seeing Posh at the time- how times change!). I also served Andy Cole who never left me a tip!!

I think I served Stephen Spielberg in Manchester. There was a load of people (some American) talking movies. It wasn't until I opened the door for them to leave and an American who looked & sounded like SS said goodbye and thanks. I was just dumbfounded!!

So many others from working in restaurants but here is a few (am I getting boring yet?):
various people from Coronation Street
The Jordanian Royal Family (complete with body guards)
Paul Weller (my personal favourite) & DC Lee (son's b'day party)
Vanessa May (she of violin fame)
Mark 'Return of the Mac' Morrisson (actually, quite a nice guy)

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I bumped heads (no, really - we did bang heads!) once with Natlie Robb - actress (High Road, The Bill).
Also, Lord Cullen, and Alex McLeish (Rangers manager), JK Rowlings, but I can't disclose details as it was in a professional situation smiley - tongueout

I met another actress from High Road (It was a Scottish soap) in a work environment and knew she looked familiar but thought it was because she got the same tube train as me. Only after she had left did I realise why she was familiar smiley - doh

I also met Jimmy Somerville a few times - the most memorable being when he queue jumped in front of me at the ladies toilets in a Glasgow club! (he said the queue was shorter in the ladies!)

I have also met Ronnie Brown from The Corries (Flower of Scotland fame) in a professional environment too. (well he is famous in Scotland!!!)

Andrew Eldritch from the Sisters of Mercy at a back stage party!!

I used to work with one of the vets on Animal Hospital! - does that count??!!

I did a report on artificial lens replacements in dogs, with Kay Adams, for a Scottish news programme!

I think there are mnore but fame is relative really smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I am in a quandry as to which is more embarassing - meeting a Chuckle brother or being in Scunthorpe!! I grew up in Grimsby so Scunthorpe is viewed as the poor neighbour! (and considering the reputation of Grimsby that can't be good!)

Post 5

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

I also smacked straight into an MP once - but I can't think of his name off the top of my head.

Also rode a train in the same car (standard!) as a guy who was on Questions Only. Also can't remember his name.

Post 6

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I do Live Role-Play with Ben Homewood... not very famous but he does have an entry on IMDB. He's best known as the bloke who gets elbowed out of the way by his wife in the AOL advert.

Post 7

Natalie

Talking Point ruined! Surely nobody can beat Master B's Barry Chuckle encounter?!

Post 8

Well, my mate's uncle once called Jon Bon Jovi a "f**king w**ker" at a dinner party.

Post 9

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Him indoors told George Michael to 'fxck off and wait your turn' at TGI Fridays in Birmingham.

I've also got disgustingly pissed with Colin Baker, and Paul Darrow once nicked a cigarette off me.

smiley - ale

Post 10

Paully

At a rather fab convention in Manchester that I attended, there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night. I remember standing, shivering, on the pavement next to Piccadilly Gardens, keeping Patricia Quinn (Magenta from The Rocky Horror Picture Show) company as she stood around in her fluffy white hotel bathrobe and slippers.

Sublime moment! smiley - biggrin

Paully

Post 11

Reminds me of Panopticon '96- the closing ceromony pyros set off the fire alarm- we all stood around outside with various actors being lead by Andrew Beech in a chorus of 'Bring Me Sunshine'.

smiley - ale

Post 12

Paully

Underneath the Lady Godiva awning? I was probably standing a scant few feet away from ya! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 13

Gosh, small world, isn't it? It was Beech that led the singing, wasn't it? My memory of nearly 10 years ago is a bit, well, dodgy.

smiley - ale

Post 14

Paully

Oh yes indeed. Andrew's never one to miss the chance to get up in front of people and show off... smiley - winkeye

Paully

Post 15

Well, let's face it, when was the last time you met a fan that could be described as 'shy and retiring'?

smiley - ale

Post 16

DaveBlackeye

I met Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield from Metallica once. We'd seen them at the Playhouse in Edinburgh and gone to the pub (The Venue, or Jailhouse as it used to be called for anyone who knows it) straight afterwards to find the two of them had actually beaten us there. James was slagging me off 'cos I was being smoochie with then girlfriend, and Lars was sat on a table leaning against me to stop himself falling over smiley - ale.

Oh, and Bobby Gee from Bucks Fizz at a BBQ. And several other '80s rock stars when we used to bother going backstage to get autgraphs, but that doesn't really count smiley - sadface.

Post 17

My old band once supported 25 Ta Life (only famous if you're into hardcore punk). We were supposed to support the Misfits once but they wussed out because of 9/11.

Post 18

naughtinik4_Goddess of Funky Music & Saturday Night Mischief

I met Charity Dingle & Debbie Dingle from Emmerdale in the ASDA on Sunday, we had a race & grab for the last loaf of Warburtons (blue) bread. (I got it btw smiley - evilgrin)

Post 19

Joyika

Wattaray Bro

I met a famous Manchester United Striker, buying some fish from my local fishmonger ( + v. nice he is too)

I also met Elvis in Tesco - he was in the freezer section.

Yeah babay.............

Da Joyikasmiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - laughsmiley - kiss

Post 20

mazie (returning soon...)

i've met marty whelan smiley - bigeyes TWICE!

*only irish people will understand the 'major' significance of this*

smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more