This is the Message Centre for Malabarista - now with added pony

First impressions of Vienna

Post 1

Malabarista - now with added pony

So, it's been a week - here are some things I have noticed, in no particular order...

smiley - bus zipping around on fully functional public transport is fun, and makes a city of 1.7 million seem a lot smaller than, say, Belfast.

smiley - pony the same does not apply for anything outside the city. I will need a car to get out to see the horse.

smiley - winekey people bring wine to the office to share sometimes. This is considered normal.

smiley - sigh so, unfortunately, is smoking in pubs and restaurants. Yuck!

smiley - senior there seems to be a requirement for any middle-aged man that starts going grey to adopt a uniform of jeans, blazer, and three days' worth of stubble.

smiley - diva women here wear a lot less makeup than in NI, on average. And more sensible shoes.

smiley - run jogging in the palace gardens is not unusual.

smiley - cake which might explain why they're a lot slimmer on average than Belfasters, despite a bakery on every street corner.

Post 2

You can call me TC

Can we have a hootoo meet there? I've never been to Vienna, but I fell in love with it watching "Kottan ermittelt" in the 80s and have always thought that if I ever went, I'd never want to come back. I must be the only person in Germany who is seduced by the "Wiener Schmäh" and who could resist a piece of Sachertorte?

Is smoking really still allowed in cafes and restaurants in Austria? smiley - eureka - I've just understood your use of the smiley - sigh smiley.

Post 3

You can call me TC

Whoops - that came over wrong. The "who could resist a piece of Sachertorte" was a separate statement. I am definitely not the only person in Germany who could resist it. I'd be quite defenceless.

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - wowsmiley - cool (my entirely opposite response to the seeming ability to smoke in bars and suchlike, there... smiley - laughsmiley - blush ) smiley - cool MMM.... cake? smiley - droolsmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cake

I found it odd enough, here, in the UK, in my last job, with one of the coders I worked with, who'd pop off at lunchtime, and return with beer for us to drink whilst we worked in the afternoon smiley - yikes just seems somhow so wrong smiley - laughsmiley - redwinesmiley - ale He was from Spain, so I don't know if its more of a thing on the 'mainland', and he just b brought the cultural drinking at work thing over with him smiley - laughsmiley - ale

Post 5

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Me and my buddy at w*rk had our first smiley - ale around 10am even if it wasn't allowed to drink alcohol before 12. (Mind you we got up every morning at 5am so 5 hours without smiley - ale was more than enough! smiley - yikes )

Our boss let us know - via one of his tools - that we ought to obey the rules of the w*rk place. But this tool had a bad habit of smoking in her office, which was even less allowed so we chose to ignore them. After all senior policy outranks alcohol policy, right? smiley - biggrin

A few weeks later we fired the boss. Just to be on the safe side. Problem solved smiley - biggrin

Anyway, where was I smiley - huh Vienna, right! A meet in Vienna would be great, wouldn't it? smiley - bigeyes

Hope you find a nice place to live soon, Mala smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

I often get a message (often in the morning) via our instant messaging system, to come over to the other side of our office where I find my partners in crime opening a bottle of sekt smiley - bubbly

Post 7

smiley - yikes Naughty! smiley - laugh

smiley - pirate

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

but, knowing me, not unexpected I think smiley - winkeye

(today it's black coffee because we were all out Karaokeing until the wee hours)

Back to Vienna: if their public transport is so good I'm SURE they have the BEST seat covers smiley - winkeye

Post 9

No indeed. Neither the naughtiness nor the seat cover obsession were unexpected smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

smiley - loveblush

Post 11

Malabarista - now with added pony

No, the seats are all a plain, solid colour!

Post 12

KB

I'm glad you're enjoying it more than you enjoyed Belfast. smiley - laugh

Post 13

loonycat - run out of fizz

You've sold me Vienna already smiley - loveblush

We have ample cake in the office (I brought home leftovers this weeksmiley - biggrin) but wine??

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

I'd still appreciate a photo if you get the chance - it's not all about how awful they look smiley - smiley

Post 15

What pray tell is an "ample cake" smiley - huh

Link, please!

smiley - pirate

Post 16

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - erm you do not exactly need a recipe for that one http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ample+definitionsmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cake
smiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cake
smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers
F smiley - dolphin S

Post 17

loonycat - run out of fizz

smiley - ok
Actually it's often smiley - donut or pastries but I'm not fussy smiley - laugh

Post 18

ITIWBS

Which reminds me, add some smiley - cupcakesmiley - donutsmiley - cheesecake to my smiley - coffeesmiley - coffee, after my morning smiley - doctormeds.

Post 19

re 16:

smiley - ta Florida Sailor! smiley - smiley

All i found was this:
https://www.google.dk/search?q=ample+cake&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:da:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=rXoLVMOEK8XOygOKooGYCQ

smiley - pirate

Post 20

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I am glad I could help. We have so many words in the English language that it is difficult to know even most of the common ones, I certainly do not know them all, even as a native speaker.

Let me add that your knowledge is excellent smiley - biggrin

I remember many years ago, long before the interweb I had a draughtsman working for me who got confused by a reference to the metal 'lead', he only knew that it meant to have people following you. To help explain I pulled down mt 50,000 word abridged dictionary to show him the various definitions.

'So many words', he sighed, 'you don't need that manysmiley - sadface'.

I did not dare to tell him what 'abridged' meantsmiley - headhurts

I can converse in the Spanish of a two year old child, I like to explain that I speak a small amount of Spanish, but I understand very little because I know what words I understand, and nobody else doessmiley - blush

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Key: Complain about this post