A Conversation for Ballet - Basic Positions and Directions

dancers levels of fitness

Post 1

Only living boy in New Cross - The Good, The Bad and the Average

Having danced as a child - (picture a slightly better looking Billy Elliot ok) I can garauntee that the levels of fitness associated with ballet dancing are staggering - and gained through nothing but sheer hard work (2-3 hour classes) each and every day over a period of years...

Forget your olympic athletes - if you want to know about maintaining physical perfection I'd side with your average professional dancer everytime - and all because they love it...

I take my hat off to them...

Post 2

MrsCloud

Yep!

I only dance as a hobby and I do 2 hours a week of ballet and an hour at the gym to help. Most of the really dedicated amature dancers I know will often do as many classes as they can, 7,8,9 hours a week.

And the professionals just make it look easy smiley - smiley

Post 3

flyingtwinkle

i saw a programme on dame markova at 93 she looked at lrast 30 years younger she is a russian born balletr dancer and a citizen of england . just from where do they get all that grace?

Post 4

Only living boy in New Cross - The Good, The Bad and the Average

> all that grace?

Lots and lots of hard disciplined graft...but you'd never guess....that's the beauty of it...

Post 5

MrsCloud

Alica Mark (aka Markova) was British but in that era all the best dancers were from Russia so the company she was dancing with (or someone, I forget exactly who) made her change her name to sound Russian.

Post 6

CAZZ72

Yes mrscloud, like Anna Pavlova

Post 7

CAZZ72

I think it may have been the Ballet Russes

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ballet - Basic Positions and Directions

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more