This is the Message Centre for Magrathea

Magrathea's workshop - Voting Systems

Post 181

Z

There is software that we can use to trace IP addresses that can guard against that, not the stuff mentioned on the first page but other stuff that chat rooms use.

Also there's the elections for the board, they'd have to be an AGM of a company, and the law says that to be a member of a not for profit as well as a for profit that can vote at an AGM you *have* to give your real name and address. So the elections to the board would be far less likely to be open to abuse than the elections to the 'italic replacements'.

The board would have the right to infer and sack the elected editors if they were clearly damaging the site.

If an ego maniac did rig the elections we'd hope that the IP tracing would flag something up as suspicious. But if it didn't and it was clear that the people who voted never posted again, or the elected editor was doing an awful job, then the board could intervene and declare the elections nul and void.

By having five people there's less risk that one person could do serious damage.

This way people who don't want to give their real name and address can still have a say in the running of the site (though they can't vote for The Board).

Post 182

Mrs Zen

smiley - offtopic

If Z posted 14 minutes ago, presumably from work, I'm not going to get my tea any time soon, am I....?

smiley - offtopic

Post 183

Z

To be honest I could finish the work I'm doing from home later.

See you in about half an hour.

Post 184

Whisky

smiley - rofl <- got it right this time!

Looks like I've just caused a domestic! smiley - run

Post 185

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - offtopic

I'm sure whisk(e)y has caused domestics before this, Whisky smiley - winkeye

smiley - offtopic

Post 186

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I've not read all this thread (Going offline for three months and coming back to find that we're being sold (possibly to ourselves) was a bit of a shock) so this point may have been made or the topic could have been solved but I would suggest that only account open before a specific date be allowed, and that this should be chosen before any possible voting be allowed
While many people would already have several accounts it would prevent opening up fresh ones just to influence the voting - obviously something new would be needed before the next set of voting...we wouldn't want to become elitist would we smiley - winkeye

Post 187

Taff Agent of kaos

##I would suggest that only account open before a specific date be allowed##

how about the date the bid is accepted??

that way there, everyone who has made the journey from Beeb to Reality is eligable to vote

you dont release this information befor that date, so no-one can rush out and open a dozen sock puppets, and anyone who comes after, wasnt here on bid day, so they get to vote in the NEXT election, in a year or however long!!!

smiley - bat

Post 188

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

That sounds like a good idea...and gives XXXXXXXXX time for more people to join smiley - winkeye

smiley - choc

Post 189

Mrs Zen

Now, how to yikes that post so that no-one else can read it..... smiley - devil

smiley - winkeye

It's a good proposal, Taff, but you should have mentioned Ryan Giggs.

Post 190

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

....Ryan Giggs....

Nothing more, nothing less

smiley - tongueoutsmiley - runsmiley - run

Post 191

Rudest Elf

"you dont release this information befor that date, so no-one can rush out and open a dozen sock puppets"

No, but what's to stop people stocking up with sox in the interim?

Surely, newbies will accept that choices made by the older hands will be informed through their experience of the site, so that voting rights could be restricted to Researchers who joined prior to (say) March, 2011.

smiley - reindeer

Post 192

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

"Surely, newbies will accept that choices made by the older hands will be informed through their experience of the site"

Have you seen this site...we tend not to take much for granted

- its not me that wrong...obviously :D

Nevertheless that might be a good date to start, though we have to have a level of trust somewhere because there are huge amounts of accounts all over the place for not so many people.

I think then that either the date is set just before the bid info has been given out or, as you say, 01/03/11

smiley - ale

Post 193

Or how about the day the BBC announced the disposal, Jan 24?
Or the date the BBC announced the method of disposal would be sale, Feb 17?
Or the end of the period to express interest, March 17?

All good dates. My personal favorite's March 17 because it's also Saint Paddy's day.

Post 194

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Ho9w about April 2nd, as it's 42. smiley - winkeye

Post 195

Oh, I like that, Paulh.

Post 196

Mrs Zen

*ahem*

You mean 4th Feb, don't you. smiley - winkeye

Post 197

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Or the 42nd day of the year--February 11.

Or Towel Day.

Post 198

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

29/02/11? Cause some confusion???

Post 199

Rather a lot, actually, what with 2011 not being a leap year and all.

Post 200

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Well that was my view indeed, but I'm sure it is somewhere in the universesmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post