A Conversation for h2g2 Smileys

Recipe for irish whiskey (Po,chen)

Post 1

ozmate

Hello up there from me down here,I am keen to get hold of a recipe for making irish whiskey at home. I am legally able to make it as long as i dont sell it. I would like to make about 5 gallons and i would like a list of ingredients and the method of how to make it. I have a still.I would greatly apreciate any assistance anyone can give me. I have heard that some of the best is made in Cork Thanking you in advance John (smiley - winkeye

Post 2

Lash LeRue

As a cork man and a non drinker(i know a sober Irishman the 4th rarest thing in the world) i should tell you that poteen is 100% illegal, any where! and it isn't whiskey. It's made from spuds and its about as strong as this:Imagine drinking the strongest drink you have ever had. ok imagine real hard now. treble it and you have something approaching it. Also avoide drinking any fluids atall after drinking it, as it will get you drunk again for a day or 2 after.

If you still want it sadly i dont have a recipe but Yankes have somthing like it called "moonshine". Maybe look around for that.

But seriously this ileagal and it has been know to kill instantly if it is badly made.

captainleruesmiley - smiley

Post 3

BazMcStay

Agreed with Captain LeRue. Poitin (Irish Spelling) is a highly dangerous drink if not made correctly (in fact, it's still dangerous if made correctly!!!) and besides being very strong, it can also be quite explosive if left to ferment for very long. It is illegal to produce it and I recommend you stick to good old regular whiskey!smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Lash LeRue

I know a fella that had some poteen and it burned his taste buds so if you enjoy tasting food stay away.

(Where I'm from we spell poteen in Irish poteen. But then again thats munster dialect)

C. LeRue

Abu Corcaigh!!!! {hurling All-ireland today,incedently boo Kilkenny}

Post 5

***Amanda***

Hey hey omg i can't belive theirs a sobar cork man but that would be rare in belfast :p!!

Aontroim Abú (Antrim better than cork :p)

Post 6

Lash LeRue

Maybe,Just maybe Aomtroim are better in football but they Pog corcaigh thoin in Iomanaoicht.smiley - biggrin

Post 7

***Amanda***

Hey i prefear Galway on Iomanaíocht and its Phóg siad Thóin Chorcaigh i Iomanaiócht belive me i speak Gaeilge =p

Post 8

Lash LeRue

Okay lets try to think back to who won the All-Ireland this year. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh wait it was Cork was it not,it wasn't big news though we have 33.
I hang my head in shame at my gramatical error in Gailinn.smiley - sadface

Post 9

***Amanda***

2 right they did i say the match it woz Good. It all right about the Gaeilge error =)

Post 10

***Amanda***

saw*

Post 11

Lash LeRue

I saw it with a yank who kept giggling through it and when I asked him why he said he couldn't get over the fact that we have an all-ireland hurling final,it means vomiting apparntly.smiley - biggrin

He also knew one word in Irish and used it when ever he could. "Look a bothar" "What bothar are we on now" etc,most annoying.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more