This is the Message Centre for James "Geekahilbility" Arkansawyer

"interesting lives"?

Post 1

James "Geekahilbility" Arkansawyer

The heading over this page says, "we all lead interesting lives, and your journal is the place to tell everyone exactly what makes your days buzz by."

I am not sure that we all lead interesting lives. I suppose, I do. Or, maybe, I don't. It all depends on how exciting your life is in comparison.

I work for a computer company, Unisys. The various companies which formed the roots of Unisys have been around for over a hundred years. Most recently, in terms of large mergers and the like, Sperry and Burroughs merged in the eighties to form Unisys.

I am of the "Sperry" persuasion... Or, Univac, if you prefer. But, for a "mainframer", I am pretty young, comparitively. I graduated high school in 1989, and went into the Air Force in 1990. At that time, I could almost, almost turn a computer (pc) on and off.

My time in the Air Force was spent working on - Unisys mainframes. Most of the early ones still had peripherals with the Sperry Univac logos on them. When my contemporaries started moving into networking or Windows-based support, I couldn't help but yawn.

I had grown to like my customer base, and I enjoyed working with the systems I had been trained on. I am, by all accounts, a "jack-of-all-trades" when it comes to computers - or, well, I guess... anything. I can change the oil or the muffler or anything short of major on my vehicle, or use a tablesaw or bandsaw to create something with wood. I can use and administer basic Unix systems, and Windows seems a little like a no-brainer... I do it, but don't particularly enjoy it. I have trained - computer-based, at least, in various other environments.

But, at heart, I am a mainframer. The mainframes of today are not the ones of old. We now have all the old style security (for most systems, 3 strikes you're out!), and the 99.9% and higher uptimes, plus "open" systems, file access, web-based access to legacy data. My job is to keep all that stuff up and running..........

So, that's what I do... What do you do?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for James "Geekahilbility" Arkansawyer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more