A Conversation for Cornwall (Kernow) 2005

Peer Review: A3711638 - Cornwall (Kernow)

Post 1

KernowTinner

Entry: Cornwall (Kernow) - A3711638
Author: KernowTinner - U1345924

Well it was about time there was a detailed entry for Kernow !

A3711638 - Cornwall (Kernow)

Post 2

Pinniped

Hi there, and welcome to PR. Interesting read, this. I enjoyed it, and learned a lot.

The catch is going to be that it's so close to the Wikipedia entry on Cornwall. Some parts at least are verbatim. (I haven't read the other one closely for a point-to-point comparison, so I couldn't say for sure whether it's the same text rearranged or whether only excerpts are duplicated from a Wikipedia original).

I'm guessing that you wrote that other one too, right?

The usual approach in h2g2 in such cases is that the author is encouraged to rewrite to make the pieces distinct. That will probably be a precondition for Edited Guide acceptability.

It's a worthy subject, though. Like you infer, it's surprising that there's nothing substantial on it in the EG already.

Hope this helps

Pinsmiley - smiley

Post 3

McKay The Disorganised

How can you mention Trelawney's army - without mentioning the original Trelwany ? And without the song ? Which was written by the vicar at....smiley - erm it'll come to me.... On the north coast - dammit. smiley - grr

And what about Cornwall's future ? Fishing's groc - farming's groc - mining's groc - 'Tis back to wreckin' me 'andsomes.

Good work so far, but there's loads more could go into this.

smiley - cider

Post 4

Skankyrich [?]

This entry is exactly the same as the entry on Cornwall at

http://www.answers.com/topic/cornwall

smiley - cheers

Post 5

Skankyrich [?]

Oh, it IS the Wikipedia one, sorry....

Post 6

Number Six

It's good so far, though, definitely.

smiley - mod

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Since this is almost identical (indeed *is* identical parts) to the Wikipedia entry, should it still be here? The GNU public licence on Wikipedia states "Wikipedia content can be copied, modified, and redistributed so long as the new version grants the same freedoms to others and acknowledges the authors of the Wikipedia article used (a direct link back to the article satisfies our author credit requirement)"

There is no link to the Wikipedia entry (nor is there likely to be in an EG entry), and once it's in the EG it can only be changed by the Editors.

Therefore this entry should either be substantially rewritten, yikesed, or sent back to entry. There has been no h2g2 post from the author in five weeks.

Thoughts?

Post 8

Skankyrich [?]

My first thought when I read it was that it shouldn't be here. And not just because I grew up in Devon smiley - smiley

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

Can we send this back to entry now it's been yikesed?

Post 10

UnderGuide Archivist - Visit The UnderGuide: A2112490

Seconded. Or thirded, or whatever. Let's send it back.

Post 11

UnderGuide Archivist - Visit The UnderGuide: A2112490

Oops! I'm in the wrong clothes...
This is Pinniped. I am a Scout, honest.

Pinsmiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Cornwall (Kernow) 2005

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more