A Conversation for Everything You Need to Know About Celery: A Growing, Cooking and Eating Guide

Yum!

Post 1

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I used not to really like celery, but have found it tasty in the last couple of years - I need to try the recipies here, and also, see if I can learn what the different kinds you mention are. I only think I've found one kind.
Well done!
smiley - towel

Yum!

Post 2

Vip

I love it, with its gorgeous, peppery taste. smiley - drool

smiley - fairy

Yum!

Post 3

Bluebottle

I used to dislike celery - and I still do, sorry. I find it tastes like string held together by sellotape.

Very good article, though...

<BB<

Yum!

Post 4

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

good artical shame I can't stand celery in any of its forms smiley - yuk
none the less a good read

Yum!

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone!

*whispers* I'm not over keen on celery myself - string held together by sellotape is a very apt description...

I do like it in soups and casseroles, though - the texture and taste change completely then...

smiley - ok

Yum!

Post 6

van-smeiter

I love celery and this is a very good entry smiley - cheers

It's worth adding celery seeds when braising celery. They enhance the flavour but also add a different flavour. Also, for maximum flavour, it is always best that raw celery is at room temperature before one eats it. Yum, yum, yum smiley - smiley

Yum!

Post 7

dyvroeth

A thoroughly informative and well written article; thank you.

Bluebottle is right though; the stuff is awful. I would add to the analysis that the taste aligns with Bluebottle&#39;s description, finessed by a thorough boiling in linseed oil. smiley - tongueout

Yum ? - more like Yuk ! I&#39;m afraid.

Allergy to celery.

Post 8

lapislazuli

About 20 years ago I bought some celery (which I hadn't done for a long time) and ate some. After 05/10 minutes my lips became very sore and swelled a little and my eyes watered quite a lot. This allergy even occured if I cooked the celery. I was rather miffed at this as I really liked the taste of celery and wanted to continue buying it. I thought the substance(s) responsible may have been something sprayed on by the grower or was something produced by the surface layer of the plant. I then started to give any celery I ate a good scrub with an ordinary nail brush under running cold water instead of giving it a cursory rinse. Since then I've had no reaction to it at all and am able to enjoy it.
Interesting article!smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Everything You Need to Know About Celery: A Growing, Cooking and Eating Guide

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more