A Conversation for Topic of the Week: David Bowie

The Labryinth...

Post 1

Michele - Doily Mogul: Don't leave me! If you go there'll be no braincells in the room at all!

I thought it was an amazing movie and it's still my daughter's favorite (she's 16 now!). I mean - how can it get any better? David Bowie as the "King of the Goblins"? He was born for that role! Rock & Roll music, leotards and great hair - it's all Bowie!

The Labryinth...

Post 2

Michele - Doily Mogul: Don't leave me! If you go there'll be no braincells in the room at all!

Oh and excuse me - it's the "Labyrinth" I was typing faster than I was thinking... (hee-hee) smiley - smiley

The Labryinth...

Post 3

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

Have to agree with you on that one... David Bowie as the goblin king, singing Magic Dance... Doesn't get much better!!!

smiley - cheers

The Labryinth...

Post 4

Only living boy in New Cross - The Good, The Bad and the Average

I'm afraid I have to disagree..Goblin King! Magic Dance! Tights! The lowest point of Bowie's career surely...

The Labryinth...

Post 5

Ah yes, the tights! Better and Better! smiley - laugh It worked for me!

smiley - cheers

The Labryinth...

Post 6

Who wouldn't want to be whisked away by a "Goblin King" that looked like that and had that evil twinkle in his eye! smiley - winkeye

And if you don't like Bowie in tights - then I think you're probably bypassing most of his career... smiley - biggrin

The Labryinth...

Post 7

Not tights in general - just the saggy pair in the movie...

And I know Bowie is an attractive man and all - but I could live without being whisked away thank you very much...

Maybe I'm missing the point of the entire film

The Labryinth...

Post 8

Not tights in general - just the saggy pair in the movie...

And I know Bowie is an attractive man and all - but I could live without being whisked away thank you very much...

Thinking about it maybe I'm missing the point of the entire film -one beloved by teenage girls let us not forget...

The Labryinth...

Post 9

Ah yes - the attraction is probably more gender specific! smiley - winkeye You had to like the eyeballs on the end of the moss though - that was pretty cool!

The Labryinth...

Post 10

And the three rocks that together formed David Bowie's head! And the Bog of Eternal Stench! Some good laughs there.

But I suppose the main allure of the movie is the idea of being whisked off by a Bowie in tights with eye make-up, a sexy voice singing "Within You" while walking on Escher stairs, and some amazing skills with a crystal ball. Ahhh, that Goblin King...

smiley - cheers

The Labryinth...

Post 11

The eyeballs and the little gnomes who act as cannonballs at the end...very cute...

But I'm sticking to my original point - Bowie is not at his coolest..

The Labryinth...

Post 12

Well - I guess we'll allow you to disagree with us... smiley - winkeye

The Labryinth...

Post 13

Schrödinger's Cat-flap

I'd let him whisk me away any day of the week!

The Labryinth...

Post 14

WattDabney

C'mon people! Labyrinth is a low point for Bowie and writer Terry Jones. Although the Jim Henson people do a great job its not as a good as Dark Crystal.

The Labryinth...

Post 15

Aaah...The Dark Crystal...Jim Henson's finest moment...

Very off topic but surely the greatest puppet film ever...

The Labryinth...

Post 16

Now if the Dark Crystal only had a certain someone playing a goblin king...

The Labryinth...

Post 17

I have to say that I liked Labyrinth much better than Dark Crystal. And the difference was Bowie - yup... I think that any movie could benefit from a Bowie Goblin King. Probably could have saved "Gigli"!!! smiley - winkeye

The Labryinth...

Post 18

There are countless films that would benefit from a Goblin King..

Just a challenge as to how they'd be worked into the plot..

For esample -

The Great Escape. 250 Prisoners of war tunnel their way out of a Nazi prionser of war camp. The all split up and cross Europe using various forms of transport. The last one to be caught is Steve Mcqueen on a motorbike but just as he's about to be arrested he's saved by a - wait for it - Goblin King with a magic dance.

Works for me...

The Labryinth...

Post 19

SE

I loved this film as a young child and still love it today (23).

Yes. The tights. And the bulge. It happens to the best of us (I think most of Steve Tyler's and Mick Jagger's careers were the direct result of tight pants). But this movie, and Bowie's campy performance, is nothing but fun.

Now, if you're talking about other Bowie roles...

The Labryinth...

Post 20

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

The Labryinth...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more