A Conversation for Topic of the Week: David Bowie

Life on Mars

Post 1

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Well, at least he seems to be coming closer to having an answer to this question:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4295475.stm

Life on Mars

Post 2

Natalie

But...has Mickey Mouse really grown up a cow?

Life on Mars

Post 3

Well, looking at what's happened to another pop star, a certain Mr. Jackson, over the years I'm prepared to believe anything.

Life on Mars

Post 4

Natalie

Oh come on...we've all changed! smiley - winkeye

Life on Mars

Post 5

Apart from Mr Bowie himself: he's disgracefully well preserved smiley - cross

Life on Mars

Post 6

Natalie

He is isn't he?! It's quite staggering, especially considering his '70s excesses.

I do wish he hadn't messed with his teeth though...I mean, they're much nicer now, but they're not Bowie...

Life on Mars

Post 7

How old is he now? He must be pushing 60

Life on Mars

Post 8

Natalie

58! It's astonishing isn't it?!

Life on Mars

Post 9

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

Great isn't it? David Bowie was born January 8th 1947, Wednesday's Child, not Thursday's. Still looks just as sexy as ever!

I wish he hadn't fixed his teeth too, not that he doesn't still have a great smile, but the old one was so Bowie.

smiley - cheers

Life on Mars

Post 10

Schrödinger's Cat-flap

Ah it was... but it's still charming.

Life on Mars

Post 11

bedmechanic keeper of the tongue in cheek and guardian of the empty wallet

I've heard he originaly wrote the lyrics for Frank Sinatra to the music of My Way. Funnily enough it was rejected I wounder whysmiley - biggrin.
It would have been funnysmiley - biggrin to see FS sing it.smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Life on Mars

Post 12

Mikeguy

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't think that song was really for Sinatra. The fact was, he heard a french song whose chords and melodies later were used to write "My Way," but he had already written a song based off of it! He was bewildered and amazed, because it became a HUGE hit, and he was saddenned that he himself hadn't gotten the success that My Way had... so Life on Mars is, on Hunky Dory, for Frank.

Life on Mars

Post 13

Mikeguy

So yeah, Life on Mars is kind of that forgotten song... I'm not sure if it's the same one, I think he might have rewritten it afterwards with new lyrics that hint at his anguish.

Life on Mars

Post 14

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

It's really a brilliant song!

Key: Complain about this post