This is the Message Centre for Jay

Hurricane Katrina (Blow Baby Blow)

Post 1

Jay

smiley - musicalnoteCryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move. smiley - musicalnote

What the heck??

When I went to bed last night, Hurricane Katrina had crossed over the south Florida peninsula as a category 1 hurricane and was forcast to be heading into the Florida panhandle. I felt bad for the poor people in Florida, as they really have been beaten down by hurricanes in the past two years.

And I kept feeling that Louisiana is real past due for a big hurricane.

Well.

It seems that little Katrina has decided to stay on a westward path, and will turn more northerly later today or tonight, putting it in line to hit the Louisiana coast around New Orleans or slightly farther west by early Monday morning, as a catagory 3 or 4 storm, meaning winds could be anywhere from 111 to 155 miles per hour. smiley - yikes

For those who don't know, New Orleans is basically a bowl. The city lies below sea level, and has a series of levees or dykes around it. All of the rainfall in the city is funneled down to a pumping system, and pumped out of the city. There is no natural drainage. Hurricane storm surges and heavy rainfall can mean devastation to the city. smiley - wah

I live farther inland, about 65 miles to the northwest of the city, so we shouldn't get the brunt of the storm, but we will get high winds in excess of 50 mph, and depending on where the storm hits, flooding rains. The last time a big storm hit this area, we were without electricity for a few days.

So, depending on where the storm hits, I will be battening down the hatches for a couple of days.

*waves*

I'll see you all when I can...

smiley - runsmiley - runsmiley - run

smiley - magicAnd hey, who knows, maybe Katrina will lose her way, and wander back out to sea. smiley - ok

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/smiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Post 2

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

Or maybe she'll go to Cuba. Nothing but god-less communists there. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Jay

It could happen!

Not very likely though.smiley - erm

Post 4

Or maybe it could go to Venezuela and assassinate Hugo Chavez. smiley - biggrin

Post 5

Jay

No, Pat Robertson is already on that job. He's a Charismatic Church Leader by day, Paramilitary Assassin by night.

He's head of God's commando unit. smiley - laugh

Post 6

Yes, although they're commonly refered to as "televangelists".

Post 7

Cosmic Llama - I.M.M.A.C.O.R- Co Founding Member. Desparately seeking a cause!!!

Whats wrong with god-less communists I'd like to know? I happen to be very good friends with a few.

Post 8

Well they're god-less and communist. They go against everything that all free nations (America [Bush]) stands for.

Post 9

Cosmic Llama - I.M.M.A.C.O.R- Co Founding Member. Desparately seeking a cause!!!

Pfft! Bush. Who cares what he thinks?

Post 10

Too many people.

Post 11

Jay

*thinks the llama may look a little pink-o around the edges*

Post 12

pink-o?

Post 13

I think the llama may be a witch.

Post 14

I'm not a witch, I would have been but it was too much effort, and it seemed a little 11 y.o girlish, to be honest. And then I found out it involved a god so I was outta there.

Post 15

Plus insense REALLY stinks.

Post 16

Jay

Yeah pink-o, you commie pink-o bast....er...smiley - erm sorry. smiley - smiley

Post 17

Hey, no need to get nasty, bourgeoisie Nazi.smiley - evilgrin

Post 18

*Puts up a Bush/Cheney '04 sign.*

Post 19

Jay

smiley - biggrinHeil!

Post 20

Jay

smiley - erm Hurricane Katrina!

At 7:50 AM, the latest wind speed is 160 mph, making it a catagory 5 hurricane. That's as high as it goes, folks! It still appears to be on a track to hit New Orleans sometime Monday morning.

I'm about to make my last Wal Mart run. I've already stocked up on sandwich meats and bread, water, batteries etc. in case we lose electricity.

Right now there is a voluntary evacuation in effect for the parishes (La. has parishes, the rest of the U.S. has counties) in and around New Orleans, and later this morning it is expected that this will be upgraded to a mandatory evacuation. I'm not in that immediate area, and as of right now, we are still under the voluntary evacuation. I think I'm staying put, and ride it out. I'm far enough away that I think the worst will be maybe some downed trees and power lines. We'll see.

I'll try to give updates later today.

*waves*

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jay

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more