This is the Message Centre for C-LevelHeights

Thursday

Post 1

C-LevelHeights

I never did get the hang of Thursdays. But on this Thursday I am remebering favorite bits of dialogue from some my favorite radio dramas. The great thing about radio dramas is being able to replay them over and over to savor the way quirky characters say the profound, and the profoundly inane.

I always preferred the way the mice squeeked "42" to the way the great computer rolled it out. So now that squeeky "42" is a favorite observation when things just don't add up. I put it right up there along side Peter Cook's drawling "17" in Godley & Creme's "Consequences." (Where is That movie? Actually, what with the huricanes and tsunamis of late, it's beginiing to look like they weren't too far off.)

There are a few bits from movies, but those lines are known to me because they are a part of the general culture rather than having become familiar after hours of my own listening. "What we have here, is a failure to communicate." works nicely in many situations. I only saw the movie twice, and remembered it from there, but so many people have used it generally that it's not really one I feel especially close to. Besides, I know that most movie literate people around me would know it, but, if I whined, "Life. Don't talk to me about Life." Most would ask, what's that?

One of the great tag lines from Ace Rimmer and the boys is very useful at times: "What a guy!"

Traveling with Jack Flanders has brought me a lot of memorable sayings. In the Fourth Tower of Inverness series, not only does Little Frida lay out some wise observations, but there's this cryptic utterance from Lord Jowls that haunts me: "Odd!"

Moon Over Morocco, of course is loaded with mystic, Islamic sayings that may, or may not, mean anything in any given situation. But it takes a Union Philosopher to decide when, or when not, to use said saying.

"Do not shoot a glass arrow into a painted deer," says about all we need to know for most situations. (Please consult a trained philosopher before attempting to utter this saying during any perplexing event.)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for C-LevelHeights

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more