This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Spirit of Place

Post 7121

minorvogonpoet

The Chronicles of Fragile and Quite Annoying Life Experiences? You mean something like this?

"I lower my chocolate chip biscuit into my freshly prepared tea, in the hope of savouring the mellowing of taste and softening of texture. However, the biscuit breaks and the fragments sink into the depths of the teacup and merge into an undistinguished mound. Thus we are reminded that human creations are always flawed and transient."

Flawed Transience

Post 7122

cactuscafe

Yes! mvp! And there's a certain poetic beauty in the flawed transience, methinks. Well, there is when you write about it. smiley - kiss

smiley - kiss

The Flaw lurched through the open door, in search of rhyme and time, peculiarity and clarity.

After several thousand years it decided that one day it might be flawed no more, it might be whole in its soul. So it drew a mandala to celebrate. 'Look at this incredibly fascinating pattern of my life! it said to no-one listening, 'observe the almost perfect symmetry!'

It turned out that it had, in fact, drawn a completely accurate street plan of the town of Hooverville, which was peculiar because it had never heard of the place at the time.

Spirit of Place

Post 7123

minorvogonpoet

Sounds a bit like my life story. smiley - sadface

Spirit of Place

Post 7124

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I always like it when it turns out I intuited something that was already there. smiley - laugh Like little historical guesses. It happens a fair amount.

Speaking of Hooverville, the autumn festival finished on Sunday. Here's a view of the doings from the vantage point of a Ferris wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVmu-cvl60

Yes, we were on that.

The Wheel of Life

Post 7125

cactuscafe

heheh. Yes. My brother once designed a town in a dream, it looked a bit like Bexhill. In fact it was Bexhill. He was cheating though, because he'd been there before.

He took me there the other day!!!! We vistied the De La Warr Pavilion! Now a very fine arts centre and cafe. Where it all began. The man from Delaware. Where the GoHL first played.

Whoah! Amazing!!! A film from a ferris wheel, and all going round and round, like they do. And you were on it. It seems to be spinning at a leisurely pace? This is good. Rather wonderful in fact.

You can get those fairground wheelie things that spin you around, upside down, and inside out, till you regret having had lunch beforehand. Or having had lunch at any time. In fact you regret everything.

I've never been on a ferris wheel.

Have now! teehee. Thank you, makers of film. smiley - kiss

The Wheel of Life

Post 7126

smiley - hug Welcome. And how smiley - cool that you visited the Bexhill arts centre. smiley - rofl

You spin me right round

Post 7127

SashaQ - happysad

"You can get those fairground wheelie things that spin you around, upside down, and inside out, till you regret having had lunch beforehand. Or having had lunch at any time. In fact you regret everything. "

Excellent description!

Now to my eyes, I can see the Ferris Wheel in the video is going round at a very fast pace - I class the London Eye as leisurely (because I went on that and enjoyed it very much) and the Liverpool Wheel as fast (because I went on that and had to be taken off after going round only once instead of four times because I felt unsafe wobbling around inside the moving cabin). Even just watching DG's video made me feel a bit sick, but in a good way as I knew I was actually safe on the ground! smiley - laugh I enjoyed the video very much, but am confident I would not enjoy the real thing smiley - laugh

You spin me right round

Post 7128

smiley - rofl Thanks, Sasha! Yeah, it was a bit faster than larger Ferris wheel's I've been on. Usually, too, they have gondolas or seats that don't rock. This one rocked whenever it stopped, which leads to uneasy feelings. smiley - laugh I was determined to record the experience, however.

You spin me right round

Post 7129

I apologise for that misplaced apostrophe. smiley - blush

Place names

Post 7130

minorvogonpoet

The video did make me feel a bit seasick! smiley - ill And it doesn't help that, from some angles it looks as if it's made of Lego.

Hooverville is definitely an American name. Some English names are very peculiar. There's a place not far from us called Tarring Neville and, whenever we went that way, I used to wonder what Neville had done to deserve tarring!

Place names

Post 7131

smiley - rofl That's a very English name, indeed! Like Stoke Poges and such.

Hooverville isn't a real name, you know. We made that up. smiley - winkeye

But there are many, many towns that end in 'ville. One down the road from us is Brookville. People here pronounce it 'Brook-ville', as it's spelled.

In Tennessee, we swallow the 'ville', so it's 'Nashv'l', 'Cooke'vil' (actually 'Cuh'v'l'), 'Smithv'l', 'McMinnv'l', etc.

You spin me right round

Post 7132

cactuscafe

Hullo Sasha smiley - kiss

I like that, you spin me right round. I'd like it if someone said that to me, it could change my life. Make me go all blushy and starry. smiley - loveblushsmiley - star Even though they might mean that I reminded them of a Ferris Wheel.

Which, according to these reports, might not be such a compliment. smiley - rofl And it seems this one featured in the movie isn't moving at a leisurely pace after all. smiley - rofl. How strange that I saw it as leisurely. I never see fast moving things as leisurely. I see them as fast things, and break out in squashed snail feelings.

smiley - redwine

I've never been on the London Eye. Sounds pretty awesome in fact.

There's the British Airways i360 tower here in Brighton, but it doesn't go round. Its a donut shaped glass pod that moves up a very high tower and hopefully comes back down again, although it did get stuck once. I prefer to look up at it from terra firma. It looks very incongruous amongst all the ancient Regency architecture. Kind of beautiful though.

Ferris Wheel. We assume a Mr Ferris might be involved with its invention?

smiley - redwine

Place names

Post 7133

cactuscafe

Place names! Hah! Yes! Very fascinating study.

Hooverville doesn't exist????

(Falls off bar stool in the Waffelhaus Cafe) Damn. Does the Mayor know??

I know really that its an invention. I just said that, because I like falling off imaginary bar stools.

smiley - redwine

We had purple cauliflower the other night. We bought it from the wholefood shop. They didn't have any normal ones. Never had purple cauliflower before. Tasty. Its called Cauliflower Graffiti. Tis so it is. You can check.

smiley - redwine

You spin me right round

Post 7134

Yep. G.W.G. Ferris & Co. Now smiley - evilgrin guess where that company was....

Yep. Pittsburgh. The Ferris Wheel (original) was built for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893 - the one with the hootchy-kootchy dancer and such. The challenge was for engineers to come up with something flashier than the Eiffel Tower, which wowed the 1889 Paris Expo. smiley - winkeye

George Ferris' House:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FerrisHouse.jpg

Extra credit question:

What song was played on the original Ferris Wheel by John Philip Sousa's band?

For answer, click here and prepare to groan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RMB1NGiLIM

The Hootchy Kootchy dancers

Post 7135

cactuscafe

Ah, how fascinating!!! Re the Ferris Wheel and its origins. Thank you!!

Quite perfect for considering on a seven hour train ride to Cornwall, which I'm about to do, tomorrow morning in fact.

How splendid! By the time I reach Cornwall I shall know about the Hootchy Kootchy dancers. And many other things. How wonderful is this life.

smiley - kiss

Post 7136

Can you take a picture in Cornwall, please? smiley - grovel

You spin me right round

Post 7137

SashaQ - happysad

Hullo cc xx

I hope you had a smooth journey. Here's Pete Burns for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmTe3TDdVUsmiley - winkeye

Yes, the London Eye is pretty awesome - quite expensive, but one rotation takes 20 minutes so it is a good experience, and you get great views over the River Thames smiley - ok

"It looks very incongruous amongst all the ancient Regency architecture. Kind of beautiful though."

I can imagine - that is something unusual, to be a doughnut-shaped glass elevator... That might make people feel a bit squiffy going up so high, but hopefully the motion is smooth... Not surprised you prefer to look up at it rather than down from it!

Post 7138

minorvogonpoet

I hope you enjoy Cornwall.smiley - smiley

Daydream Journal

Post 7139

Paigetheoracle

The best bit of Cornwall for me is Tintagel, with the cave running underneath and St Nectans Kieve, close by, with its beautiful little waterfall, dropping into a pot and pouring out the front, through a breach. A pot by the way is where stones turn on top of porous rock, caught in a swirling current. The hard rocks turn on the soft rock,drilling into it and creating a circular hole or pot. The Fairy Glen at Betwys y coed in North Wales has a lovely series of these that appear mysterious because of the white rock and dark, peat coloured water.

Daydream Journal

Post 7140

Paigetheoracle

I used to have beautiful dreams where we used to live - hotel rooms with no roofs, out in the open air but since we moved they have become darker. Hopefully this will settle

Key: Complain about this post