This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Daydream Journal

Post 6221

bobstafford

No he was in the Parachute Regiment

Daydream Journal

Post 6222

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Worse. smiley - yikes Waiting to jump out when people are shooting at you.

Daydream Journal

Post 6223

bobstafford

Oh yes but he would have prefered that rather than a b*****y landing craft on D Day, officers were expected to be first out!!!

Daydream Journal

Post 6224

I don't blame him. LSTs looked like not much fun.

My dad didn't get there until later in the year, and he wasn't an officer, just a sergeant. smiley - laugh

Daydream Journal

Post 6225

bobstafford

Good for him!

Daydream Journal

Post 6226

cactuscafe

Greetings from intermittent wifi but lovely sunlit Cornwall! Been reading postings re our Green Party poetlady, parachute regiment, planes and the Snark!

All mimsy were the borogroves! They were? Yes, I was raised on the Jabberwocky. heheh. Is Lewis Carroll meaningful or not, I will consider.

We will be going about with our cameras in next few days. Expect daffodils and trains.

Better post before wifi fades again.

Daydream Journal

Post 6227

Willem

Hiya! I'm looking forward to daffodils and trains.

I hope to have some photos this weekend … another plant-seeking outing over here.

Daydream Journal

Post 6228

cactuscafe

Evening all! Not peering at my phone screen any more, back from Cornwall.

Favourite place on earth right now, The Lost Gardens of Heligan, botanical gardens near Mevagissey, Cornwall. Created by four generations of the Tremayne family.

Sixteen of the twenty two gardeners were killed in WW1 and it fell into ruin. There are shrines to the lost gardeners tucked away all over the garden.

The cafe serves amazing food, made with local produce obviously, there's a huge kitchen garden, and there's a great gift shop.

We bought a set of Beetle, vintage game, you throw the dice, 1 is a body, 2 is a head, 3 is a leg etc. and you add bits to your beetle drawing, first person to get a complete beetle wins.

I drew some four legged, one antennae masterpieces. Total losers though. smiley - rofl

smiley - redwine

Tired now. Long train journey.

I have pics, mostly from Heligan. My monochrome dovecote series, sundial garden, odd monochrome alien, Insect Hotel (yes, there is one, made from logs and pinecones, and hollow wooden things that insects like to crawl into).

Will sort out and send in next day or two.

I wanted to check in to the Insect Hotel, but I'd just lost at Beetle, so didn't have the credentials. smiley - rofl

I took a pic of Mr Diggery, the scarecrow, but he scared me so much, I deleted him. smiley - rofl I really don't like scarecrows.

My camera went into monochrome by mistake, I rather enjoyed my brief career as a monochrome photographer. It makes everything otherworldly.

smiley - redwine

Was thinking about Lewis Carroll. I think being brought up with Jabberwocky, Alice, etc.,taught me about disquieting edges of the mind. smiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 6229

Welcome back. smiley - hug And I believe that about Lewis Carroll.

Daydream Journal

Post 6230

cactuscafe

Yes!

I'm learning algebra. Again.

Last time I never got further than the intro in the book.

This time I'm on page one, and rolling nicely, through to 2n + 1 is always an odd number.

I know, I know, smiley - rofl I should have learned this when I was six, but when I was six I was drawing centipedes on the back of my notebook and seeing angels in the wings of the lacewing.

Lacewings! Haven't seen one in years. Green. Beautiful wings. Like lace. Remind me to think about the lacewing.

Anyway, algebra. I think its magic that you can express numbers with letters. Kind of appeals to me. Different ways of saying things. I might even get to page two tomorrow. smiley - rofl

I guess you could express numbers with tiny fruit pictures. Like apple smiley - apple or strawberry smiley - strawberry. Probably not the same thing.

2smiley - apple equals ..

If I'm going to be an algebra student I need to find the equals sign on my keyboard. smiley - rofl

I wonder could I translate poetry into algebra? Or a photograph? I can definitely write synth tunes. Somehow. I think. Not sure yet.

Daydream Journal

Post 6231

You can express anywhere on this planet with three words. I just wrote the entry on it: A87932398

Go there. Find the map link. Look things up. smiley - winkeye I've already made some into a poem for the Post on 11 March. smiley - laugh

Algebra has always given me a headache. Calculus gave me a nervous breakdown...

Daydream Journal

Post 6232

minorvogonpoet

I don't think you can express poetry in algebra. Poetry can deal with shades of meaning, it can hint as well as shout, it's not cut and dried.

But then I never understood algebra. smiley - doh

Daydream Journal

Post 6233

Behold 'Transformation: A Mathematical Love Poem'. With graphs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-dmyW1ihI

Daydream Journal

Post 6234

cactuscafe

Morning pilgrims!

Fascinating article on what3words!

I love maps, although in this case I'll probably enjoy your great write up more than the actual website. heheh.

I don't think I've quite figured it yet. I typed in where I live, came up in a square, nice, then there was a red tag that said ahead/bronze/bossy.

Hey, where I live is ahead, bronze and bossy. Erm. Interesting. I could make new friends this way. Or not. smiley - rofl

smiley - coffee

I will greet you from the caverns and echoes of my algebraic headache. smiley - rofl

I know what you mean, mvp, its not really poetry.

I am very limited in the maths department, but I do find numbers and their various combinations very magical, I would even dare to say spiritual, if I can get my head around them.

I remembered someone once told me that if you multiply any whole number (a number not split into a fraction) by 9, add up the result, it will always return to 9.

Like, 5 times 9 is 45, doh yes.

But add 4 and 5 you get 9!

(heads to calculator app) So, 5,623 multiplied by 9 is 50,607.

50,607 adds up to 18. 8 and 1 is 9.

I find this simple fact to be rather beautiful, a constant in an uncertain world. I can always return to Cafe Nine. haha.

smiley - coffee

I might end up like Max Cohen in Pi, staring at spirals in my coffee cup, predicting the patterns of the stock market, and getting very bad headaches. Hope not, poor Max.

Interesting in that film, at the end, which is so transcendent, when he goes on about the syntax, the spaces between the numbers.

Syntax. Syntax. I need insights into syntax, the word, the meaning, perhaps even the algebraic equation. Teeehee. No! No! More like the poetry of syntax. And examples of syntax. It must be related to meter, rhythm.

Daydream Journal

Post 6235

cactuscafe

What?? A Mathematical Love Poem. With Graphs.

Well, this could rearrange my syntax. smiley - rofl And make me late for my life. In fact it might rearrange my life. Even though I'm ahead, bronze, bossy.

I think I'd better check later. smiley - run

Daydream Journal

Post 6236

cactuscafe

Brilliant, that mathematical love poem. smiley - roflsmiley - rofl

smiley - coffee

Very inspiring. heheh. My own Al Jabr, 'reunion of broken parts', is going well, on chapter two now, and very into the curious art of it. I'll probably never use it to figure out things that are in any way practical, smiley - rofl, but I am already well away with the little diagrams and pictures and how to see in various different ways.

Daydream Journal

Post 6237

bobstafford

Anyone used GeoGebra !

Daydream Journal

Post 6238

cactuscafe

Oh, GeoGebra is a real thing! An app. I thought it was a Bob invention, sort of like an algebraic geographical zebra type thing. A what??

The reality seems much more efficient and logical. smiley - rofl Just downloaded it, see if I can figure.

smiley - coffee

New study going fine, I can do simple tests now, and get the answer right. Sometimes. Sort of. Almost. Well, definitely in some cases. smiley - rofl

Mainly though, I've solved a mystery.

Uh oh, flaky mystery alert.

I asked myself why, if I was so enchanted by pattern at an early age, how come I didn't do too well at maths. After all, maths is just numbers gathering into various, and perhaps infinite patterns.

So, yesterday, I was jotting down sums, pencil on paper, trying to remember how to do long division and long multiplication, smiley - rofl, and presto! there were the magical patterns of elementary sums I saw as a kid, before stress took over. Like, how they looked on the paper in their original glory. I was enchanted all over again.

I think perhaps it was pressure to do exams, and to understand everything in someone else's way was what put me off maths at school. Maths was about stress, and rising failure levels.

Now I've found my own pattern again, I'm well away into my own faerie land. smiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 6239

minorvogonpoet

Do you mess about with fractals? My husband does and I think they're beautiful and smiley - magic but have now idea how they work.

Daydream Journal

Post 6240

cactuscafe

How amazing! I'd love to create fractals, turn all me algebra into fractals, that would be wonderful.

Not sure I'd know how to, at the moment I'm doing elementary sums on paper, with a pencil, like its 1963. smiley - rofl I feel like I'm wearing my green shirt with a pencil tucked into the pocket, grey shorts and football socks.

What? Well, my primary school was in fact a boys' school that had recently started taking girls, but we could still wear some boy kit for uniform, which suited me fine. I even had football boots, awful when I went to the next school and had to wear girlie things.

Hmm must find out how to turn maths into fractals. I don't think I have the computer skills, but it would be interesting to know how it works.

Key: Complain about this post