This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Daydream Journal

Post 5161

cactuscafe

heheh. Yes!

I already started on mvp's alphabet soup!

Daydream Journal

Post 5162

minorvogonpoet

Thanks for taking an interest, cc!smiley - smiley They're an odd mixture of reminiscences, rants, book reviews, poems and one genuine recipe!

Daydream Journal

Post 5163

cactuscafe

It's wonderful, mvp!

And, one day, sometime before spring, I hope I'll be reaching the shores of FWR's and ITI's NaJo journals!

Such creative people! I am travelling through multi textured universes, daily.

My Space and Space Travel (paper edition)(with facsimile wormholes), is arriving on Nov 29th, apparently. Yippeeeee!

And then there's life aboard the Mariposa.

Oh its all sooooo creative around here. My days need to be at least 2000 hours longer. smiley - rofl I'd get a lot more done. Be good to have an extra 2000 hrs a night sleep, also.

Daydream Journal

Post 5164

FWR

But apparently it's sooooo quiet on here.......I shall light a lantern to guide you to shore safely. smiley - biggrin

Daydream Journal

Post 5165

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork Quiet.

That remark reminds me of a conversation I overheard on a community college campus back in the '90s. I knew the people involved, including the prof the students were talking about.

'Hey, I thought you were taking Dr. W's theatre class?'

'I dropped out.'

'Why?'

'You had to *read*! I thought it would be watching videos, or something, I ain't got time to read all them books!'

Daydream Journal

Post 5166

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl I like it.

h2g2 quiet? Erm... when? Here there are infinite universes of knowledge that recreate and reinvent every ten seconds. smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

Hey, I just realised, you folks over the Atlantic are about to celebrate Thanksgiving!! Are you not? Thursday, methinks? The third Thursday of November. Why is Thanksgiving on a Thursday?

Have a wonderful time!!! smiley - bubblysmiley - corncob

We have these notices all over town advertising Black Friday sales, but I don't think the UK really understands Black Friday.

Its just an excuse for more sales. The Boxing Day sales start in August these days. smiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 5167

smiley - rofl August...

I don't know why they settled on a Thursday - probably so they could make it a long weekend. I believe Lincoln declared the first Thanksgiving (official) in 1864.

Daydream Journal

Post 5168

Superfrenchie

Tell me about it. A supermarket chain here is having a "Black Friday Week" smiley - facepalm

Daydream Journal

Post 5169

smiley - snork

Daydream Journal

Post 5170

In Memphis, Tennessee, a department store always had a 'St Swithin's Day Sale'. They had to explain St Swithin's Day...

Daydream Journal

Post 5171

Researcher5

it is a very special little corner of the internet - and when you think of all the sites that started when we did, its rather fine that we are still here after all these years - it will be twenty years before too very long. To everybody who writes, chats. creates quizzes, makes beautiful art - thank you.

Daydream Journal

Post 5172

cactuscafe

Black Friday week?? Groan. From Friday to Friday, with lots of Fridays in between.

Daydream Journal

Post 5173

cactuscafe

Yes, Researcher5.

Researcher5? Hullo!

I agree! h2g2 is a very special corner of the internet.

I'm very internet shy, in fact, smiley - senior, not that you'd think it, the way I go on here. smiley - rofl

I wasn't raised on social media, don't intend to start now, aye, nothin' wrang wi' the pub.

That's scary, I just became my late father in law. I think I'll get addicted to social media.

smiley - redwine

It's kind of like a family here, I think.

Almost twenty years?? Really? There'll be some celebrations coming up then?

Yes! I'll echo that, here's to the people of this site! smiley - alesmiley - redwinesmiley - pggbsmiley - milk

Daydream Journal

Post 5174

FWR

Wouldn't put my phone in my bins for any other site!

Daydream Journal

Post 5175

cactuscafe

Researcher5!??

smiley - eureka Ah.

Hullo Robbie!

One of the founders of this site, in fact. Now, you have many a story to tell!

I really appreciate you, and this site, Robbie. Thanks so much!

Daydream Journal

Post 5176

Willem

Hello Cactuscafe and everyone else! I'm still around. Will try to get back into the convo! Over here we're having a very hot and dry start to the summer. Only rained a few times so far, luckily my succulent plants tolerate this weather just fine. I'm just angry at a little caterpillar that chomped off the growing tips of a few of my germinating wild yams!

This weekend is the Birding Big Day in South Africa. Teams all over the country go out - each has to stay within a 50 km radius centred on a point it can choose itself - and see how many bird species they can ID in 24 hours. Teams have 4 members max, and at least 2 members have to agree on each ID. Each team is on its own honour -there's no outside authority to confirm if every bird ID'd has actually been ID'd correctly, or at all. My team and I are targeting 200 species for the day. Last time we got a bit over 180! The best teams in the country are targeting 300!

Daydream Journal

Post 5177

ITIWBS

Hi Willem!

Still waiting for the autumn and winter storms to begin, almost constantly cloudy, temperatures hovering around 90F/32C, snow completely gone from Mts. San Gorgonio and San Jacinto.

I'm hoping for a centennial storm to restore water level in the Salton Sea.

Mostly tied up with NaPoMoJo at the moment.

Amusing that the rainy seasons coincide here and in South Africa, if in opposite seasons.

Daydream Journal

Post 5178

cactuscafe

Hullo Willem! Great to hear your news!

How hot is it then, at the moment? Like, what's the highest temperature that it reaches in the day?

So that little caterpillar got away with it eh? Are they a problem, or was he just a solo explorer?

Wild yams. What does a yam taste like? Are they kind of like squash or sweet potatoes?

smiley - drool

I love sweet potatoes.

In the swimming pool cafe we go to, you can get sweet potato chips.

Which is marginally interesting. smiley - rofl

They are so good though.

I had this flu thing once, and I lost interest in all food except for sweet potato chips.

smiley - redwine

Birding Big Day sounds amazing!!

smiley - redwine

I'm soo tired tonight. I've been visiting people in the town where we used to live. It's so odd going to places from the past. In this case, a good sort of odd, a poetic odd.

The Past is a strange event.

Daydream Journal

Post 5179

minorvogonpoet

The idea of a celebration of twenty years of hootoo smiley - pggbsmiley - redwinesmiley - bubbly sounds great. Lots of articles, stories, poems, photos. But a lot of work smiley - sadface

Willem, here the RSPB organize a 'Big Birdwatch' in January. Not as organised as yours - anybody can sit down for an hour and record what they see in their garden. I've been doing it for years - last year I got more goldfinches and greenfinches and fewer smiley - tit.

CC, the Past is a strange event? I'll have to think about that. A poem, perhaps?

Daydream Journal

Post 5180

cactuscafe

You're right, mvp, it would be a lot of work, organising the twenty year anniversary.

Perhaps we shall celebrate just by being part of the ongoing phenomenon that this site is. To the Ongoing Phenomenon! smiley - cheers

We could raise a smiley, smiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - bubblysmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - alesmiley - milk and then shapeshift ourselves into the entire smiley list.

Actually, I have an ambition to do that.

I will also stop to think about those who work a lot harder than I do to keep the Ongoing Phenomenon going. hmmm. Thanks people. smiley - kiss

smiley - frogsmiley - cupcakesmiley - panda

Do other websites have frogs, cupcakes and pandas? To name but three? They probably do in some way, but it wouldn't be the same. I'm a homebird. And a senior-kid smiley - seniorsmiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for cactuscafe

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more