This is the Message Centre for Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Subbing Early Christian and Byzantine Art

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87932127 Early Christian and Byzantine Art - for the new God
Please subscribe to the above.

I've a question for you.
"All walls were mainly carriers of pictures." Can you clarify this? Do you mean most walls were decorated with pictures, or walls erected to display pictures outnumbered load-bearing walls?

I've changed 'wine leaves' to 'vine leaves' as wine is a drink smiley - redwineand vine is the plant.

<BB<

Post 2

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Walls were decorated with pictures. Basically the architecture or shape of the interior walls was less important than the paintings or mosaics. Every wall was a canvas.
Hope that helps.

Post 3

Bluebottle

I've tweaked that bit.smiley - ta

Can I ask another question: 'Around 200 AD the first Christian communities developed in Rome.' Wasn't Romans, the sixth book of the New Testament, written c50-60AD to a church in Rome? Do you mean first permanent communities, or first communities with their own artistic identity?

I reworded this sentence as it seemed a bit odd: 'The discussion about the ifs and hows of depicting God or Jesus themselves however would not end even until the 12th Century' and it is now ' The debate about whether God or Jesus should be depicted and how would not end until the 12th Century.' So let me know whether this meets with your agreement.

I also changed 'The iconoclasm ended in the mid-9th Century.' to 'This iconoclasm ended…' In the UK 'the iconoclasm' usually refers to the post-reformation destruction of Catholic imagery that began under Henry VIII and intensified under Oliver Cromwell.

Let me know your thoughts.smiley - ok

<BB<

Post 4

I would probably say the first 'permanent' communities in Rome.

Your reworded sentences are fine, thanks. smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bluebottle

Would you like to have a thorough read-through?

<BB<

Post 6

Could you have a look at the code of the finished Roman and Greek Entries please? Sasha put in an extra line at the top to make the picture and main text stick less to the badge and links. Could you please put that in, too?

3rd paragraph:
'While mosaics were already widely used in Roman Antiquity, the fashion to not only lay it on floors but cover entire rooms with them arose in the 4th Century.'
Lay THEM on floors?

4th paragraph:
'The composition of an artwork describes how elements are arranged in relation to each other'
Should this be in brackets?

Other than that it looks good, thanks. smiley - smiley

Post 7

Bluebottle

On re-reading I thought having the composition text as a footnote rather than in brackets was less intrusive to the surrounding sentences, but what do you think?

<BB<

Post 8

smiley - smiley yes, that's fine

Post 9

Bluebottle

I've pressed the button for this and the other entry.smiley - ok

<BB<

Post 10

Thank you! And as always thanks a lot for subbing. smiley - smiley

Post 11

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Post 12

Thank you!smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more