A Conversation for The Mach Field

Peer Review: A3569899 - The Mach Field

Post 1

RigmaroleWon

Entry: The Mach Field - A3569899
Author: RigmaroleWon - U1270164

A description of the 'Mach Field' and related concepts - speculates (briefly) on an alternative cause of mass and inertia.

A3569899 - The Mach Field

Post 2

Pinniped

It's a worthy stab at a difficult subject, but it's a bit impenetrable for an Entry that needs to stand as a layman's explanation.

It might be easier to follow if you set it all in historical context - first Newton's proposition of absolute space, then Mach's Principle as a precursor to the General Theory of Relativity, then the Einstein version.

Post 3

Kat - From H2G2

*shudders and has a smiley - coffee to recover*

I didn't understand most of that sorry. I think P's right in that you need to explain the basic bits first for us non-physics people out here. I know most of the individual bits but haven't a clue about bringing them all together.

Post 4

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I've heard this explained a different way. You have two space stations next to each other which use centrifugal force to simulate gravity. One is rotating and one stationary in space, yet inhabitants on either think they are stationary while the other appears to rotate. Yet only one has simulated gravity. What external frame of reference is acting upon both to allow the rotating one to be discriminated from the stationary one? is this the Mach field?

Post 5

RigmaroleWon

Yes, you are probably both right in that it needs to be re-written. I will try to do this later in the week and hope for further comment.

Post 6

RigmaroleWon

I've heard this explained a different way. You have two space stations next to each other which use centrifugal force to simulate gravity. One is rotating and one stationary in space, yet inhabitants on either think they are stationary while the other appears to rotate. Yet only one has simulated gravity. What external frame of reference is acting upon both to allow the rotating one to be discriminated from the stationary one? is this the Mach field?

The question which Mach would ask is *what is the station rotating relative to?* When someone inside the stationary station looks out onto the rotating one - they cannot be sure if their station is rotating while the other remains at rest. The rotation is relative to the observer; all inertial motion is relative.
However, you mention that one space station uses 'centrifugal force' to generate gravity. It must be remembered that this is a fictitous force - a byproduct of measuring coordinates with respect to a rotating co-ordinate system. No-one knows exactly why centrifugal force should exist. We can quantify it by saying F = -ma where m is the mass of the body and a the centrifugal acceleration.
Machs principle explains centrifugal force by saying the force exists only relative to every other body in the universe; the inertial dynamics of one body derive from the gravitational dynamics of all matter. It is difficult to explain this without the aid of a diagram. But the 'Mach field' is basically the reference frame between all mass, a field which defines mass(inertial and gravitational), which defines a gravitational field - and also incorporates a quantum mechanical field for generating mass from a uniform acceleration.

Post 7

Captain_Jack99

im big on physics so i liked this entry smiley - biggrin, but the others are probably right, the terminology used needs to be explained as you go along otherwise the entry will appear to most people as a load of senseless garbage smiley - tongueout. good luck.

Jack

Post 8

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Hi RigmaroleWon,

Are you still planning on working on this? smiley - smiley

Post 9

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

The author appears to have disappeared, shall we move this thread out of PR?

Post 10

Kat - From H2G2

seconded smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Mach Field

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more