A Conversation for This is discusting

Peer Review: A3506384 - This is discusting

Post 1

giantsvain

Entry: This is discusting - A3506384
Author: giantsvain - U1245872

Concidering the facts as it were, I still don't understand why people will automatically try something just because somebody asks them to even when it is disgusting or wrong. Maybe some of the people in the world will have time and the ability to figure this out for me and tell me the psychological basis behind this..

A3506384 - This is discusting

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I'm guessing you haven't read the <./>writing-guidelines</.>. smiley - smiley

Peer Review is the place for submissions to the Edited Guide, the encyclopedic section of h2g2. This kind of thing is best submitted to <./>AskH2G2</.> really.

If you click the Peer Review link on the main menu and find your entry, you'll be able to remove it quite easily.

smiley - cheers

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

What you've got here, giantsvain, is a question: "Why do people do things that they themselves find disgusting?"

Peer Review is not for questions, it is for answers. And not just for your own answer but for one that is generally accepted.

You should remove this from Peer Review, then go to <./>Askh2g2</.> where you can ask your question and will get loads of answers.

Post 4

LordOfDays

Well spelling errors galore. i enjoyed this but the errors were a huge turn off.
also this is really of no use. Maybe in the future.

Arat Kwab - stay pure,
Lord Of Days

Post 5

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Could you remove this from PR please, there's a good chap?

Thanks
FM

Post 6

AlexAshman

"Could you remove this from PR please, there's a good chap?"

Ditto.

Alex

Post 7

AlexAshman

And then nothing happens.

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

This sort of person doesn't understand h2g2 and never looks at the Peer Review conversation, so they never know that we've been offering them all this advice. So it is not surprising that nothing happens.smiley - smiley

Post 9

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Hmmmm you know, I hate brunel but I changed to brunel skin a couple of days ago, just for a short while, to find out about the differences between the skins, and how best to advise someone who had asked me a question and was using brunel skin.

(Brunel is the default skin, that all newbies start off in)

Anyway, what I discovered was that on the left-hand side was 'Write an Entry' link. Now, I could be totally wrong here, but I think that for a newbie, experimenting and finding out what they can do, it's too easy to misunderstand just what that link is for.

I use alabaster, which says 'Add Guide Entry', IMO that is more likely to cause a newbie to stop and think, what's a Guide Entry.

I don't know why the wording was changed for Brunel but I do think the wording 'Write an Entry' contributes to the amount of unsuitable entries in Peer Review.

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I think Brunel's "Write an Entry" is a better description of what newbies want to do. The problem is that as soon as they written one, it sits there for a bit and then they think, what happens next. How am I going to get people to notice. So then it is dumped into Peer Review.

I don't use Brunel myself, but its GuideML features are really neat! Also useful are its neat way of displaying huge amounts of information on the screen: for example when I want to find an entry amongh the 250 or so that I have written, I go into Brunel and get it to display them all. Or if I want to find an old conversation, I'll occasionally display them with 250 per page and go through them with the find button. It's mnore reliable than the search engine. (I'm subscribed to thousands of old convos).

Finally, Brunel's "Last Posted" is very handy.

Post 11

AlexAshman

An interesting hypothesis - how do we test it?

Alex smiley - biggrin

Post 12

Sod that for a game of soldiers. Move back to entry proposed. Seconders?

Post 13

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

>"I think Brunel's "Write an Entry" is a better description of what newbies want to do."

Hmmmm in my experience as an ACE, very few newbies want to spend the time doing the research that a an Entry needs to be suitable for PR.

The first things they want to do, is just explore, experiment, find out what they can do.

Clicking 'Write an Entry' and submitting it to PR is just part of the experimenting and finding out. smiley - erm

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 14

smiley - laugh I see you're still taking your 'grumpy pills' Felonious smiley - biggrin

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 15

AlexAshman

Maybe a link to the <./>writing-guidelines</.> on the submit entry for review page would help, as you don't have to look at the PeerReview page before submitting.

Alex smiley - biggrin

PS sorry for adding links - I just wanted to have a go at the <./>NamedEntries</.> thing

Post 16

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

* sharpens scythe *

Did someone call? smiley - evilgrin

Post 17

AlexAshman

But I didn't have the salmon mousse...

Post 18

I don't think any amount of please read x, y or z will make much much difference Alex, part of the fun of experimienting, is you don't stop to read, just do it. smiley - erm

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 19

AlexAshman

Oh well - we'll just keep on wandering through PR looking for entries which don't fit. Part of the fun, I suppose. smiley - biggrin

Post 20

'part of the fun of experimienting, is you don't stop to read, just do it.'

During my days as a bench chemist that approach would have landed me a month in the intensive car unit.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more