This is the Message Centre for Mikael

Welcome to h2g2!

Post 1

Vip

Hello there, and welcome to h2g2! smiley - magic

I'm Vip, one of h2g2's resident <./>ACEs</.>, and I'm here to give you a guiding hand around the maze that is h2g2. Whether you're here to write, read, or just out of curiosity, we're glad to have you.smiley - smiley Our founder, Douglas Adams, wrote a welcome message for us all at A157349.

h2g2 can be roughly split into two close-knit parts - the Edited Guide, and the Community. The Edited Guide is the purpose of h2g2, and the Community are those who help to build it.

The Edited Guide
---------------------

The Edited Guide consists of the Edited Guide Entries that you see on the <./>FrontPage</.>. We made it to our 10,000th Entry in November 2010. smiley - bubbly

In order to expand the Guide, we need people who want to write smiley - biro, but also those who want to review and read the submissions as they come through. Writing-Beginners is a great start for those who are interested in writing, and PeerReview is where entries are put up for (friendly!) scrutiny before hopefully being picked to go into the Guide. If you have something to contribute I would recommend you read the Writing-Guidelines to check that what you want to do fits with the current ideals of the Guide.

Newcomers aren't expected to write their first Entry in GuideML, the language of the Edited Guide, but if you want to have a look and see if you could handle it, take a peek at A69370509.

The Community
-------------------

If your writing falls outside the scope of the Edited Guide, don't think you can't contribute - you are always able to create Unedited Entries and journal entries, plus there is still the Community groups that can showcase your talent.

If you write personal accounts, fiction or poetry, then the <./>UnderGuide</.> may well be the place for you. There is also h2g2's very own newspaper, <./>ThePost</.>, which is run by some very friendly people who are always happy to have new contributors (and readers, of course!).

The Community don't just write, we talk quite a bit as well. A good place to start is <./>Askh2g2</.> which is a springboard into the current active Community. You can also find out who is online this minute by clicking here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/Online?orderby=ID&thissite=1.

Finally, at A42397158, an old-timer Researcher has done his best to tell you everything a newbie needs to know, and a glossary has been created at A8468742 with some of the more h2g2-centric words that we use. After ten years you end up creating a few bits of history along the way!

If you ever need help or a friendly face, all you need to do is reply to this message and I'll get back to you when I'm next online.

Vip

<./>ACE</.>
smiley - fairy

Welcome to h2g2!

Post 2

Mikael

Hi Ace,

I would love to know where you think my below posting would have a chance of being tested. I have posted it in the following forums:
Global Warming; Nuclear Submarines. Please help, because I really want comments on this! Thanks/Mikael
"
I think it is time for some experimental testing, instead of just all
these theories. I want to see some proof that the planet Earth is actually warming up.

I have an idea about a test that I believe could be performed, to prove that the temperature of the World's oceans (78% of the area of our planet), is actually getting warmer.

Here is how I believe this measurment can be achived: The density of water is related to temperature; And the speed of sound in water is related to the density of the water. Therefore I suggest that an international survey should be performed; By emitting a longwave signal through the waters of the Pacific Ocean, from the west coast of America to e.g New Zeeland or to the continent of Australia, and then measure the time taken for the the signal to travel over time.
"

Thanks,
Mikael

Welcome to h2g2!

Post 3

Vip

The place to post that would be on <./>Askh2g2</.>. Just to warn you, you may get a variety of responses - some will take you seriously but we have a few jokers. Don't take them to heart, they're just not too good at serious discussions. smiley - smiley

I hope it goes well,

Vip
smiley - fairy

Welcome to h2g2!

Post 4

Mikael

Thanks VIP,

I have just done that.
Will be interesting to see how this works out. I would love to have you by my side if it takes of the way I would expect it to do. I might also need some support and advice from a technical Guru - That is if my idea hasn't got any major thougt flaws and in the case I would be "talked down" for no real world physics reason.

Thanks,
Mikael

Welcome to h2g2!

Post 5

Vip

I have a feeling that your experiment would have flaws, in the same way that any experiment would have flaws. Unfortunately as a musician rather than a physicist I'm not your best bet for scientific help. I hope the thread proves more fruitful!

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mikael

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more