A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Lockdown.

Post 341

Teasswill

I always feel this is the worst time of the year, but oddly not too bad this time. Probably because no having to get up in the cold & dark mornings, also we're going out for regular walks & getting more exposure to daylight. Certainly cold ++ today.

I wonder if the UK drive to get so many people vaccinated quickly will backfire somewhat, as I don't think it's going to mean lifting restrictions any sooner & they may end up having to do more jabs in the longer term as boosters/to cope with variants. What a shame we couldn't have a world wide organised roll out to share vaccinations more evenly.

Still plenty to keep me occupied, but I fear some previous activities may never resume. Just one of life's major changes.

Lockdown.

Post 342

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I hate February too.

Johnson & Johnson has a vaccine they want to get approval for. It does better than the others at protecting against the South African variant of the virus.

Lockdown.

Post 343

logicus tracticus philosophicus

as I don't think it's going to mean lifting restrictions any sooner but the UK holiday market will do well if that is the case.....

Lockdown.

Post 344

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Tested negative for the fifth time since last summer, feeling miserable nonetheless.

Faced a dilemma on my way to the test. The queuing lane had a junction with a sign "test" one way and "vaccination" the other way. I wondered if they would notice if I took the vaccine option instead... Didn't risk it in the end.

Lockdown.

Post 345

smiley - smiley

Lockdown.

Post 346

Baron Grim

I hope I'm on the county waiting list for vaccinations.

There is no national program or standards for distributing vaccinations to the public. There is often not even state standards or programs. In Texas, the vaccines are only distributed to counties which then figure out how to deliver them into arms. Harris County (Houston) and Galveston County both recently realized how idiotic it was to divvy them up first come/first served. There are now official waiting lists for both counties for their main vaccination programs. There are also individual hospitals and pharmacies dispensing vaccines independently of the county programs. In my county, the Galveston County Health District is overseeing a program implemented through the major hospital system (University of Texas, Medical Branch, UTMB). I went online to UTMBs vaccine page and was led to yet another party called "Clear Culture" I've never heard of to verify my email and actually get on the waiting list. Since verifying my email address I've gotten no confirmation of anything. I assume I'm on the waiting list and at some point I'll be contacted to make an appointment. My parents tried to get inoculated at the very first opportunity. My father spent days calling and checking the websites and looking for alternative sources and putting their names on the list at the one local pharmacy in our little S-town, that somehow got an early supply of 400 doses and made the news in the Greater Houston Area. Anyway, they got through and on the list and made appointments through the county system early after its implementation. They got their first jab a couple of weeks ago and will get their second jab next week, I believe.

I wasn't in that much of a hurry so I didn't rush it. But I've finally come to accept that I actually am in the "1B" category and it's better to go ahead and get vaccinated ASAP rather than sit idly. It's just simply not organized enough to rationalize that biding my time was "waiting my turn" and letting more vulnerable folks get theirs first. A) by getting vaccinated sooner I could be protecting others from exposure from me and B) I am an obese cancer patient and really do qualify.

I could have actually made an appointment last week via the hospital treating my chordoma but it's in Houston and traffic sucks and it would cost me at least $6 bucks for parking. Screw that!

Lockdown.

Post 347

smiley - sadface

Lockdown.

Post 348

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Had my letter from the NHS. I can either travel to Portsmouth UK or wait until my local surgery contacts me. I'll stick with the latter which is a 15 minute walk away from my house.smiley - smiley

smiley - bubblysmiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - choc

Lockdown.

Post 349

Teasswill

Same here. Well, not Portsmouth, but an inconvenient location. I'll wait for GP contact to get the more suitable site.

Lockdown.

Post 350

I'm hoping to get contacted by my local Health maintenance organization. The nearest convenient vaccination site would be in Norwood, which is just seven miles down the road from me. smiley - smiley

Lockdown.

Post 351

You can call me TC

I've been wondering what I have to do when my turn comes. Will I get a letter? From whom? We recently got post from some government office, but distributed via the health insurance, with vouchers for FFP 2 masks. 2 sets of 6 each. For a nominal fee of 2 Euros for the 6.I don't know if I'll ever need that many. I never go anywhere except shopping once a week.

Anyway. I think you have to wait till your group comes up and then go along to a vaccination centre. Hubby is in the next group. He's just over 70, I'm under.

Lockdown.

Post 352

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well not long after the letter my surgery contacted me and I have an appointment for next Tuesday.smiley - somersaultsmiley - bubblysmiley - cake

Lockdown.

Post 353

smiley - wow

smiley - goodluck

Lockdown.

Post 354

Teasswill

We've ended up booking (Thurs next week) via NHS letter. If we get GP contact before then, I expect we can change it, but probably won't be much notice for an appt. Our GP's website notes that they are prone to getting batches at short notice, with only 72 hours to use them.

What a difference today, with temps soaring above last week's zero! I'm no longer shivering & wearing gloves.

Lockdown.

Post 355

There is absolutely no way I would get an appointment anywhere until people in my age group (65+) become eligible (through the state website), or through my HMO. My sister and her husband, who are over 75, have gotten the first vaccination. My brother and his wife were lucky enough to make the right contacts, where there happened to be available vaccine doses. I have a friend who is 60, but she's a health care worker, and she will get vaccinated next Wednesday.

Every day, a larger number of people get vaccinated. 11% of my state's populaiton has gotten the first injection. So, maybe there's hope. Prison workers are tending to reject being vaccinated.

I'm doing the math. Maybe up to 20% have acquired immunity by having the disease, and 11% have gotten on vaccination. Time is building resistance little by little.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/09/nation/mass-reports-1319-new-confirmed-coronavirus-cases-68-new-deaths/

Lockdown.

Post 356

Well apart from a stiff upper arm it went well. Had the Pfizer and hopefully in 12 weeks I get a second dose.smiley - cheers

Lockdown.

Post 357

Teasswill

Great! We've booked both appts via NHS - just hope plenty of vaccine still available then.

Lockdown.

Post 358

Listening to the news I think that the end is in sight..provided we are sensible that is.smiley - smiley

Lockdown.

Post 359

Teasswill

The roadmap does sound a bit more cautious than previous lockdown exits. I'm still anxious that we don't get to a point where all restrictions are suddenly lifted & cases surge again. I suspect that a lot of people will still be careful about distancing & hygiene for a long time to come.

Lockdown.

Post 360

We won't go back to what things were like in 2019 any time soon.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more