A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Lockdown.

Post 181

Teasswill

Perhaps they don't want to be accused of acting too slowly now?

Lockdown.

Post 182

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The governor of Massachusetts still wants visitors from other states (let alone other countries) to be quarantined for two weeks when they arrive.

So, it's not just one country. All over the wold, people are mulling the consequences of things.

Lockdown.

Post 183

Maria

http://www.theseasidegazette.com/2020/07/69083/reacting-or-overreacting/?fbclid=IwAR11N9OvfUmKKKNZnX4GgNGuQLVbD2dntZ2hMdJaCidi1BPVuXYN2-mofdM

Please , read this. It is from a British who lives in Spain.

Lockdown.

Post 184

Teasswill

I'm sure it's just gov wanting to be seen to be doing something. Or trying to make holidaymakers spend their money in the UK instead.

Lockdown.

Post 185

Who really knows what government officials are thinking?

Except for covering their butts and avoiding admission that they made mistakes. Those we know about.

I tend to goo n about the CDC (Center for Disease Control) which consistently took the position that masks were ineffective against spread of Covid-19. Then one day, out of the blue, they made U-turn, and their decision meant that everyone needed to wear masks when they weren't able to distance themselves adequately.

Lockdown.

Post 186

Baron Grim

I didn't see it that way, paulh.

Yes, they did originally say that personal use of masks wouldn't be effective in keeping the WEARER protected. This was in context of a desperate shortage of PPE for healthcare workers (still ongoing months later). And I think this still applies. Any person from the general public will not be significantly protected by wearing a mask if they come in close, sustained contact with a carrier of CoVID-19. This is because, not only the quality of non N-95 masks (for instance bandanas or home sewn cotton cloth masks, or general purpose dust masks) but also because such masks are typically not "fit tested" creating a tighter seal, and also the general public won't follow strict protocols on their use, handling them improperly and possibly transferring virus cells from the outside of the mask to the hands, eyes, nose and mouth.

In the early days, they did mistakenly dissuade the general public from wearing any kind of masks as they likely rightfully suspected that people would rush out, buy up and hoard N-95 masks; just as some actual doctors and pharmacists did with hydrochloroquine on simply the RUMOR that it may mitigate the virus.

But that was early on. Since March I think they've been very clear that if everyone (or at least a large majority of the public) wear masks when in public, especially where social distancing is difficult like stores and public buildings, then this can mitigate the spread from a positive carrier WEARING a mask. Wearing a mask can give a marginal bit of protection to the wearer also, but they definitely mitigate how much and how far someone can spread it. And since many positive carriers are asymptomatic it is best policy for EVERYONE to wear them.

Lockdown.

Post 187

I respect your explanation, Baron Grim.

I just wish that the powers that be would not rush from one position to the opposite with so little explanation as to why. Plus, Where were hundreds of millions of people going to get any kind of masks on such short notice?

It was the manner, not the content of the decision

I had a Coronovirus test done on Saturday.It came back negative.

Lockdown.

Post 188

Baron Grim

I think there was plenty of explanation. Unfortunately much of it was filtered out by our media. Scientists talking actual science makes for dull TV, so they typically "summarize" all the actual data down to some quick quotes and soundbites. Then get on with all the conflict, sensationalism, and outrage.

On a completely different note, I just got notification I'm going on involuntary holiday. I'll still be paid, but I'll be put on "Weather and Safety Leave" for an indeterminate period of time for budgetary reasons.

Well spit! smiley - crosssmiley - erm

Lockdown.

Post 189

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Sorry to hear that..but at least you will have an income.smiley - tea

Lockdown.

Post 190

Baron Grim

Yeah... for now. But this also means when furloughs come, I'm high on the list.

Lockdown.

Post 191

smiley - sadface

Lockdown.

Post 192

Teasswill

Well, what a mess in the UK of what you can & can't do. So illogical.
Pubs & restaurants (potentially the most unhealthy activities) opened ahead of museums & sporting facilities. Now still open where family meetings in gardens have been stopped.

Lockdown.

Post 193

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well there is a suggestion being touted that the pubs should shut when the schools reopen..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Lockdown.

Post 194

I hope there will be a vaccine sooner rather than later.

We risk global financial meltdown otherwise.

Lockdown.

Post 195

Baron Grim

Further meltdown...

Lockdown.

Post 196

Well, yes. I'm surprised that the stock markets haven't figured things out yet....

Lockdown.

Post 197

This current heatwave in the UK means that no one wants to get close to anyone.Social distancing is actually taking place on our beach.Apart from the 15-20 age group who always think they are invincible that is.

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale

Lockdown.

Post 198

Young people often seem to be the ones who go around without masks. They seem unafraid to get close to each other. I don't blame them. The shopping malls are where a lot of them hang out. Again, this is understandable.

Lockdown.

Post 199

Baron Grim

There are several hundred thousand middle aged idiots in South Dakota with their motorcycles spreading the CoVid amongst each other right now. smiley - bikersmiley - facepalm

Lockdown.

Post 200

Scientists should be able to study this as a case study in transmission of the virus, and also the degree to which some of these idiots, middle aged or not, either have natural resistance or go symptomless.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more