A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's the latest information about Covid-19?

Post 101

Bald Bloke

Advice here is maintain 2 Meters (6ft6In) apart and only go out for shopping or other essential activities.
Going out for daily exercise is considered an essential activity, with the advice being once a day for up to an hour.

Post 102

Baron Grim

I've never before heard the phrase "a big toad to swallow". I love it, Maria. smiley - laugh

Post 103

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I grumble about wearing the improvised mask across my nose because this is Spring pollen season, and my nose is stuffed up as it is. It's harder to get oxygen that way, but I'm looking for better answers. I ordered a couple of bandannas today. Maybe they will let a little more air in than the sheet material. They can screen out at least a third of the stuff that needs to be screened out. besides, these will be nice looking. smiley - ok The ragged strips of white cloth look horrid smiley - yuk. Maintain a proper distance, don't spit or sneeze on anyone, and I should be all right. smiley - winkeye

Post 104

Several centenarians have recovered form the virus

http://nypost.com/2020/04/10/dutch-woman-107-becomes-worlds-oldest-coronavirus-survivor/

I hate to say it, but nature deals the cards when it comes to your immune system. Some extremely old people will shrug off the virus without becoming particularly sick, while people half their age will be thrown for a loop.

And, with good care, roughly two-thirds of hospitalized people have a shot at survival. I see that Boris Johnson has improved enough that he is taking short walks now. I have no idea what sort of person he is, apart from snippets by political journalists. Apparently, he was foolhardy to go out in public without protection. Foolhardiness should not equal a death sentence, though. If people want to vote hm out of office, that's better than than him leaving Parliament in a coffin.

Get well, Boris and everyone else. I hope new effective treatments will ease the way for otgher infected people. smiley - smiley

Post 105

Baron Grim

He was not simply foolhardy, he was brazen. When asked about whether he was following social distancing rules he bragged about shaking hands with everyone, because that's what politicians do, I suppose.
smiley - facepalm

Post 106

I wonder how many of his cabinet members caught it from him. Or he from them. Of course, this virus is fiendishly infectious anyway, it wouldn't take much.

Post 107

Teasswill

From bad to worse. Conflicting and vague instructions from our Tories - too much 'should'&'if possible'. Matt H's arrogance & rudeness astounds me.

Post 108

Bald Bloke

Latest UK ONS figures are out.
Reminder these are always almost 2 weeks behind but more accurate than the main figures.
Deaths are down but it's still nowhere near good.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending1may2020

Post 109

Bald Bloke

and for those in goo etc
http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending1may2020

Post 110

It strikes me as sad that these deaths, regardless of cause, will probably not be properly treated, as funerals, if they happen at all, will be keep-a-social distance affairs.

Post 111

Teasswill

Indeed. It was the funeral of a friend of ours this week. Family only, in the local church graveyard. But they drove the hearse through the village so friends could stand outside & pay respects as it passed.
They intend to hold a memorial service after the lockdown - who knows when that might be possible.
There are also a couple of weddings scheduled which are now uncertain, or might be very small gathering in church if permitted by then.

Post 112

"With this ring I thee wed, but please stay six feet away."

Post 113

Baron Grim

"Here! Catch!"

Post 114

It ha cooties on it! smiley - yuk

Post 115

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

smiley - pirate

Post 116

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

http://xkcd.com/2306/

smiley - pirate

Post 117

Beware eople who can apparently carryo n conversations with viruses. They are nder suspicio of being in league with the great evil red one.

<The smiley - devil?

No.smiley - santa

Key: Complain about this post