A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where is everyone?

Post 1

$u$

Where is everyone?

Post 2

Baron Grim

This place has been a ghost-town since before the end of the BBC era.

(Just another smiley - ghost)

Where is everyone?

Post 3

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

smiley - lurk

Where is everyone?

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm not really here either, but until I figure out where exactly it is that I am, I will haunt this place. Not that this is an actual place, but it's better than some actual places I've been. smiley - bigeyes

Where is everyone?

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Do yo have a specific everyone in mind or will I do as well?

If so, Hi! I'm here (wherever here might be). Nice to sort of meet you.

Where is everyone?

Post 6

Hoovooloo

I'm guessing:
- Wikipedia
- MySpace
- Facebook
- Youtube
- Tripadvisor
- Pinterest
- Instagram
- WhatsApp
- Snapchat

This place (and others a little bit like it) practically invented social media. It pioneered user-generated content. It had two major issues:
1. its nominal association with the HHGG brand.
2. its technology.

The association with HHGG was fantastic for attracting an initial crowd to get the content-generation started, because fans of Adams's work are disproportionately wordy creative types. It made it hard to appeal outside that demographic though - my mum was NEVER going to get an account here, for instance, but she's active on Facebook and Pinterest.

The technology was super for generating purely textual content in 1999, which was great for the dialup connections prevalent then. Tech moved on to broadband soon after and then people wanted pictures and sound and video, and this place was never set up to provide that, even if the wordy, texty crowd active here had been the kind of people who were able to generate it, which they probably mostly weren't.

And then tech went mobile and onto smartphones - tech whose form factor and interface design made Adams's sf speculation about the Guide seem quaint (the guide had a keyboard!).

Oh yeah, and DNA died so his work output slowed down somewhat. /shrug/ It was surprisingly good for a surprisingly long time.

Where is everyone?

Post 7

Now I know what I'm doing here...

- Wikipedia: Only if it's not here.
- MySpace: Not for me
- Facebook: I like my privacy.
- Youtube: I usually prefer a book, if I ever have time to spare.
- Tripadvisor: Only if there is no other source available to get an idea of what to do when I go somewhere.
- Pinterest/Instagram/Snapchat: I don't have time for that. Too volatile.
- WhatsApp: I use that a lot (bye privacy, because owned by FB)

Do I sound old now?

Where is everyone?

Post 8

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Away meeting family,taking long walks along the promenade and enjoying the best of the British summer weather..It's tiring watching people sailing,parasurfing,fishing,canoeing,swimming,jet-skying and all the other ings in the Solent. Also trying to work out which cruise ships are which as they steam out though the Solent from Southampton waters to the rest of the world. It's a full and busy summer.

smiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - teasmiley - cake

Where is everyone?

Post 9

It's tolerable to be old if you are young at heart. I don't know if the other combination (young but with an old soul) would work here or not. smiley - shrug

Where is everyone?

Post 10

$u$

Hello everyone.

It's nice to meet/re-meet you. Virtually.

Now who do I speak to about the need for a smley/emoji/whatever-the-kids-are-calling-them-these-days?

I am glad 'here' is still here.

smiley - pony

Where is everyone?

Post 11

Can't we use smiley - rofl as a surrogate tumbleweed? smiley - smiley

Where is everyone?

Post 12

smiley - strawberry for smiley - pony

Where is everyone?

Post 13

I can't give you a tumbleweed smiley, but I can give you a link to a recipe for a tumbleweed cocktail

http://www.liquor.com/recipes/tumbleweed-2/#gs.ziij4q

Where is everyone?

Post 14

Superfrenchie

The Post is usually busy with comments on the items :
This week's issue is at A87942621
smiley - smiley

Where is everyone?

Post 15

Teasswill

I drop by here most days. A few other sites regularly visited for specific interest groups. Plenty of window shopping & general browsing. Otherwise I have a life to lead....

Where is everyone?

Post 16

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Now glued to the BBC news. It's a shocker.smiley - yikes

Where is everyone?

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Everyone is somewhere, this is somewhere... everyone must be here. smiley - alienfrown not sure where the bunnys or sheep went though... smiley - ermsmiley - sheepsmiley - ufo

Where is everyone?

Post 18

bobstafford

Incognitos

There is a petition
THE INDEPENDENT via Change.org

Where is everyone?

Post 19

My bunnies will be out good as new in the sunlight tomorrow. Now, please don't tell anyone, but I think they're cute with their cotton tails and forward propulsion smiley - zoomsmiley - bunny

I always liked squirrels, and my only hangup about cats is that they rule the world and are well aware of itsmiley - cross. Plus, they always are shameless about taking advantage of me. smiley - blush

Where is everyone?

Post 20

Baron Grim

smiley - bunny BUN ALERT! smiley - bunny

http://xkcd.com/1682/

(n.b. Be sure to hover mouse over image for alt-txt.)

BG smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more