A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Who celebrates World Book Day and How?

Post 1

Bluebottle

The first Thursday in March is World Book Day in the UK, an event celebrated on St George's Day – 23rd April – elsewhere. What do you do to celebrate smiley - earthsmiley - bookDay?

<BB<

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Wait until April 23?

Is there more than one world in the world?

Post 3

Bluebottle

Last year everyone seemed to be celebrating World Book Day on different days. It is a very popular event in schools where the teachers smiley - prof encourage children to dress up as characters in books, but last year the first week of March clashed with school holidays – I can't remember whether it was the Easter holiday or Half Term. What I do know is that different schools held smiley - earthsmiley - book Day on different days, some before, some after.

But if you think that there being different dates for smiley - earthsmiley - book Day is confusing, work this out. The 23rd April was the day chosen for smiley - earthsmiley - book Day as both Shakespeare smiley - biro and Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes smiley - orib died on 23 April 1616 – yet they did not die on the same day.smiley - headhurts

<BB<

Post 4

They died in different countries. Was one country on the Gregorian calendar and the other on the Julian calendar? There was a ten day difference by 1616.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1616

Post 5

Bluebottle

Absolutely right – Spain was one of the earliest countries to adopt the Gregorian calendar while Britain and Ireland didn't until roughly 175 years later. Ah, the facts you can learn from smiley - books.

<BB<

Post 6

Yep! smiley - ok

These days, with scandals and congressional hearings monopolizing the media's attention, a book might be the only escape -- unless you are reading "Fear" smiley - yikes

Post 7

coelacanth

I wouldn't say "celebrate" but we are being "encouraged" (ie told) to dress up. I teach in a secondary and don't particularly want to spend any money on a costume.

Any ideas?
smiley - bluefish

Post 8

You can call me TC

Dress down, grab a bow and arrow and go as Katniss Everdene.?

Post 9

Bluebottle

We're struggling to think of something the kids can wear that doesn't involve spending moneysmiley - 2cents....

In the meantime, apparently 'Of Mice and Men' is only slightly more difficult a smiley - book for a child to read than 'Mr Men' book 'Mr Greedy': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47426551

<BB<

Post 10

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

What was the attire of common kids in the days of Holmes & Watson? Simple?

Post 11

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Why not write your autobiography and dress as yourself?

Post 12

Deb

My nephews' school has done away with dress-up this year, and instead requires each child to make a character out of a potato. They chose Captain Underpants & The Grinch and I have to say they were pretty excellent smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post