A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Post- Brexit - are you stockpiling? (UK centric)

Post 41

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - yikes not sure about stockpiling now... maybe 'arming ourselves' woulden't be the most stupid of ideas either... that or I'm moving to Montana, to become a dental floss tycoon.. smiley - zen

Post 42

Chris Morris

Maybe Billy the Mountain and his gorgeous wife, Ethel the Tree, could come to our rescue? smiley - biggrin

Post 43

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

By that token, octopi would be the most armed creatures around.

Post 44

maybe a subermarine could save us, and take us home to the Navy... smiley - yikes

Post 45

There are some scolds that think no one should eat food out of cans. But if there are food shortages, the advantages of having calories should outweigh the disadvantages of whatever additives or PBAs there might be in the food. If you eat canned vegetables, you could rinse them after removing them from the cans. The rinsing will remove much of the questionable stuff in the liquid.

Post 46

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'd run away if I had somewhere to go to.smiley - run

Post 47

Well... after today's actions at Westminster.... stockpiling is looking increasingly sensible a protection smiley - huh as they seem hell-bent on making whatever happens next, the biggest most incompetent mess possible smiley - headhurtssmiley - weird

Post 48

Chris Morris

Tins of minced politician and Spam?

Post 49

I'd invite people across the Atlantic to our shores, but we on't even have an operating government at the moment.

Are there any countries that are actually doing well now? smiley - bigeyes

India and China have lethal smog, heaven knows what Iran and North Korea are up to, Russia seems to be going in reverse, etc.

Post 50

Spam! smiley - zen yep... we'll know things are really bad, when it comes to that smiley - ermsmiley - yikessmiley - run

Post 51

Hawaiians and Okinawans are fond of Spam.

Post 52

Deek

I like Spam. smiley - smiley

Recently there's been different flavoured Spams on the market. Unfortunately they came and went before I got a chance to try them. But it'll take a lot to beat the flavour of the original.

Deek

Post 53

Baron Grim

If, as they say, SPAM is short for SPiced hAM;
why do they call it Turkey SPAM rather than SPURKEY.

I like SPURKEY.

Post 54

Deek

Ah... I thought it was Spiced Pork and hAM.

Spurkey sounds good too. I'll have to look out for it but I've never seen it around. But there is tinned Turkey though.

Deek

Post 55

Orcus

The most gobsmacking thing of all in this for me is** that the very tories who were intimately involved in shutting down coal mining, steel making, ship building and just about every other manufacturing industry in the 80s (+/- a few years either side), because it was 'uneconomic' and we could not compete with cheaper things from abroad - essentially globalisation capitalist economics - now apparently get to get political capital by blaming *exactly the same thing* on the EU and drive their anti-EU agenda so successfully on conning those who suffer directly from the consequences of such policy that is the EU that is to blame for such things. smiley - headhurts
The rank hypocrisy of this is really quite stunning.

Thatcher must be drinking champagne in that grave of hers. smiley - sadface

**and one of the reasons I usually prefer to not even talk about this nowadays as anger comes soon..

Post 56

Speaking of Thatcher....

Would thatched ham be Tham? smiley - winkeye

Post 57

coelacanth

I've just discovered that despite Big Ben on the label, HP sauce comes from the Netherlands. So a bottle of that is going in my cupboard, along with tea bags and long life milk.

I've got 3 big bottles of water in there too, but that's left over from when the Beast From the East burst all the pipes and the water company provided emergency pick up stations. The bottles say to use before 2020. Although if Michael Gove is to be believed, they might come in handy quite quickly.
smiley - bluefish

Post 58

smiley - yikes HP sauce... I best stock up on gherkins, too, just to be sure.... a few more KG never goes a miss anyhow in the storage cupboard smiley - zensmiley - run

Post 59

bobstafford

The EU have some excellent green incentives, the best is the electricity plan to make households self sufficient.
The electricity fit your home with solar panels.
They provide grants if required to assist payment. The electricity is sold to the electricity companies and the homeowner had no bills for domestic consumption.
When the panels have generated sufficient power to pay for the installation, the homeowner gets to sell the surplus (after they have used their daily domestic consumption) to the electric companies, an average income for the house owner of about 1200 euros every year.
Come on UK get with it

Post 60

Wand'rin star

Britain has something very similar. I was turned down for a grant because I live in a conversation area and "we can see your roof from the street" You can't. Grrr

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more