A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Post- Brexit - are you stockpiling? (UK centric)

Post 21

coelacanth

UK food writer and activist, Jack Monroe, is taking no chances. There's a very long list!
http://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11/15/stockpiling-for-brexit/
smiley - bluefish

Post 22

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - yikes - coelacanth
- we've got all the herbs and spices in abundance too, plus oils, etc smiley - zen we've ample freezer space, too, which is most often full anyhow, as we tend to just do a very big frozen food shop, every few months for things the local shops don't sell (you can't buy fish in central Cambridge, for example, anywhere...) smiley - ermsmiley - fish

Post 23

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

[from the link:

" the fear of hunger grips me like icy fingers around my neck. I’m holding my breath as I type this. It’s a long time since I have been so candid, so publicly, but I need to purge myself of this terror rather than carry it as a lead tennis ball in my throat for any longer."

smiley - yikes

The Russians, god bless them, figured out long ago that governments aren't to be trusted, so whenever and however they can, they grow vegetables for themselves. If they can can the surplus in mason jars, so much the better. My mother and sister used to can tons of garden veggies. Nowadays they are more likely to just pop them in the freezer. (My sister, that is, as my mother has been unable to can anything since 2013 on account of being deceased smiley - sadface)

Now, I don't want to contribute to the sense of alarm, but the average supermarket has just three days of food on its shelves, on average....

Post 24

Not sure how much of this is all just wildly over the top fear-mongering smiley - erm but... certainly for dried rices/grains/pulses, etc, canned food, et , that one's going to get to use up eventually anyhow, it probably makes sense to have a suitable back-up supply smiley - erm well, apart from the c anned fruit, that is just so terrible a food-stuff, I think I'd rather starve... or at least get scurvey whilst munching my way through large bags of dried beans smiley - laugh

Post 25

bobstafford

They are a major cause of flatulence smiley - winkeye

Post 26

So are congresses and parliaments. smiley - tongueout

Post 27

smiley - applausesmiley - roflsmiley - zen I best start beer stock-piling smiley - alesmiley - yikes

Post 28

coelacanth

Well, the Monday morning rush hour practice gridlock I mentioned in #17 seems have have gone marvellously. About 10,000 lorries a day pass through the roads of the Garden of England. About 90 tested the 33 mile journey between the potential holding area in Ramsgate and the port in Dover (it's about 40 miles from Manston to Folkestone, the other Channel route).

Everyone knew about it, people avoided the planned route, marshalls were seen to be arguing and drivers in the convoy described it as a "waste of time".

It's apparently going to take eight hours to complete paperwork checks for just one lorry, Manston can hold 6,000 and Operation Stack when in full operation holds 5,700.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/07/no-deal-brexit-rehearsal-tests-traffic-congestion-in-kent

So, what's everyone going to be stockpiling?
smiley - bluefish

Post 29

Lots of tinned stuff, and a freezer full, plus more rices, grains, dried beans, lentils, than useual, plus the spices etc, to go with it.... and nearer the date, I expect we'll have a suitably full fridge, of stuf that keeps relatively well... cheeses butters, etc smiley - zen even though I expect a lot of such food sorts won't be expected, I can well see a OTT, bulk buying freenzy, and panic shopping, leading to things, that arn't affected, just being removed from the shelves smiley - yikes - imagine the pre-Christmas mad buying frenzy, for anything and everything, only X10 smiley - yikes
Oh, and lots of tea bags smiley - zen and coffee beans of course smiley - teasmiley - coffee plus a full stocked general medacine collection, over the counter stuff... which reminds me, must re-order more drugs I need to remain alive, soon so I can get what stockpile of them I can, prior to the doomsday smiley - zen

Post 30

Doomsday really is coming, it's just going to be late like everything else.

smiley - whistle

Post 31

and, will probably be an anti-climax, just like the Y2K thing smiley - yikes

Post 32

Wand'rin star

Frankly I think I'd rather be dead than living in a post-Brexit Britain.

Post 33

There are alternatives, you know. More than 200,000 British people now live in Spain.

How's your Spanish? smiley - winkeye

Post 34

You can call me TC

It doesn't affect me, I know, but as everything is so unclear, I don't think I'd bother stockpiling if I lived in the UK.

A. You don't know how long you'd need to cover yourself for, so you'd either end up with far too much or nowhere near enough. If you have too much, there's the danger that some food will go off, and if you don't have enough, well, you won't have enough.

B. I think I would quite enjoy the challenge of substituting with what's available.

Post 35

You won't have to worry anyway. The day Germany leaves the EEC will be the day there will be no EEC to leave.

Post 36

Deek

I have the recipe for Woolton Pie if anyone needs it.

smiley - smiley

Post 37

Wand'rin star

paulh, a laughably small income makes selling up and moving impossible. I would not survive now were it not for the generosity of my sons and their wives. If the proposal to make us oldies pay for their TV licences
comes to anything, I shall opt to go to jail where \I believe the food will be sufficient to keep me alive.

Post 38

smiley - sadface

I am so sorry to hear about that.

Post 39

bobstafford

The problem that is awaiting in the wings is the dawning of the of the post EU era.

It appears that it is going to be a shock the rosy future is largely a politically created myth. Freedom its a myth the UK is as free as any other country.
Now we could even face the dissolution of the UK the Scots and N Irish may even leave the UK.

Interesting times indeed.
smiley - erm

Post 40

smiley - lurk

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more