A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What do Brexit, Bolsonaro, Trump and a Francoist have in common?

Post 1

Maria

That´s not a joke, I wish...

They have Steve Bannon. The man who is using data from internet users to sell an old product: fascism.

You may have heard about Cambridge Analytica, about the Russian implication in the Trump campaign against H. Clinton...

Bannon is a fascist who has helped Bolsonaro in Brazil, in the same way he helped Trump in US and Farage with the Brexit. Now he is helping the francoist far right group VOX in Spain.

The battlefield of fascism is in the internet. There´s a huge legion of people who manufacture and share fake news and memes in Facebook, wasap, etc.
These lies go to the guts, that´s their effectiveness.

As this video says, “your antie is not fascist, she´s being manipulated”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65x5Gy3dEs
it is in Portuguese, I think it´s not too difficult to understand.

My question : What´s the best way to fight this?
If you say to those gullible , ignorant ... people that they are racist, fascist, manipulated... they will deny it and reinforce their views and vote choice.

I´m pretty worried about all this because ordinary people is the victim and the soldier at the same time in this war.

Post 2

Chris Morris

It's a good question, Maria. You're right that meeting extremism with opposing extremism only makes things worse and hardens attitudes.smiley - erm

Post 3

Chris Morris

Interestingly, someone has just sent me a link to this radio interview which deals with some of these problems:
https://soundcloud.com/novaramedia/novarafm-nervous-states-reason-feeling-war

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

yes, that is worrisome! smiley - sadface

Post 5

Maria

Thanks for that, Chris.

YOu know, the picture in that link belong to Goya, to his Black Paintings stage. Two drunkmen fighting. They are trapped in mud , and instead of helping each other to get out of that, they hit themselves with sticks.
Quite a metaphor of these days, and those days in Spain. Ordinary people against each other instead of looking at the real source of their suffering.

Post 6

Maria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_with_Cudgels

(...)
"According to Francisco-Xavier de Salas Bosch, Goya may have been referencing an allegory (number 75) that appears in the work by Diego de Saavedra Fajardo, the emblem book Empresas Políticos [Political Maxims], Idea de un príncipe político cristiano, which contained a hundred short essays on the education of a prince.[1] The allegory referred to the Greek myth of Cadmus and the dragon's teeth.[1] By the instructions of Athena, Cadmus sowed the dragon's teeth in the ground, from which there sprang a race of fierce armed men, called Spartoi ("sown"). By throwing a stone among them, Cadmus caused them to fall upon one another until only five survived, who assisted him to build the Cadmea or citadel of Thebes.

Saavedra used this imagery to discuss how some rulers stir up discord in order to ultimately establish peace in their kingdoms. Goya's use of this allegory may have referred to the policies and politics of Ferdinand VII.[1]"

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Sowing discord, and fertilizing with mean-spirited Tweets. smiley - sadface

Post 8

Chris Morris

Yes, exactly.
Maria, I hadn't noticed the Goya but that is a very appropriate image.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more