A Conversation for Ask h2g2

I think we may have been this way before?

Post 21

Baron Grim

smiley - ok

Post 22

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

The quietness on here, is often deafening at times nowdays smiley - ghostsmiley - weird
Twitter has it's place, Facebook has it's place... but h2g2 is... just so different, its not really a comparable thing, but certainly fits that function/use well, and there isn't necessarily much overlap with other services, like twitter/Facebook, IMO... smiley - erm
I'm sure nighthoover wasn't watching the football; nor the tennis; afterall, I doubt she'd be awake that* time in the afternoon smiley - zensmiley - alienfrown

Post 23

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I look forward to a unicorn version of Nighthoover. smiley - smiley

Post 24

Evangeline

I first joined h2g2 in 1999. Didn't post much until 2001.

I think livejournal was next in 2005 at the urging of a co worker (he set it up and told me to enter a password). Facebook (2009) was next at the request of another co worker who I had known from school in the 1980's. He showed me how many of our alum were also there. About that time, my family started joining fb as well. Twitter was next, not to tweet, but mostly to follow writers, musicians, actors etc. I don't use them all equally as often, but they do have their uses. Unlike h2g2, FB, and LJ can be, and in my case, are locked.

Post 25

Do you mean that you are locked out of Facebook? smiley - huh

Post 26

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I think that she means that she can lock FB and LJ so random people don't see everything and post unwanted perspectives. I discontinued LiveJournal way back - maybe 2008 or so.

Post 27

Evangeline

I use Live journal as pretty much a journal or notebook... writing projects or ideas and notes of events. The notes can be accessed from any computer or phone, which makes it easy to use.

Facebook allows privacy settings per post or photo and a blanket minimum privacy setting as well. My Friends, cousins, niece and nephew share pictures of their children, pets, homes and in some cases grand children. That privacy feature keeps the children safe.

On FB I found someone in 2013, who I had met in 1983, only to lose track of them the following summer. We got a bit reacquainted, which was nice. I also found the English teacher I had for both seventh and ninth grade English.

Two h2g2 researchers are in my FB list. Another, is in my Twitter list. The rest are family, friends, co workers from some point or another, or schoolmates from one school or maybe three out of four.

As for unwanted opinions, well, if they are indeed on my friends lists, their opinions are not unwanted.

Post 28

Evangeline

I did try Classmates.com before FB. CM is less functional and wants money for every little feature, messages, pics... nope.

There is a site called memory lane that has digital yearbooks, including the years the principal we had was in school along with some of the other faculty we knew. Most of the messages read, 'Mr. Fabre, best teacher, principal, etc.'.

Post 29

Hence the reference to locking out random people . . .

Post 30

Evangeline

It does cut down on sock puppet and trolling.

Post 31

smiley - whistle.

Post 32

Yeah, I remember a time when those terms were bandied around a lot by the psranoid - seeing them in every corner or shadow.

Post 33

Whereas now we have random people in plain view, and with considerable power. smiley - yikes

Post 34

That's just in the Marvel and DC super-hero movies, Paul . . . smiley - winkeye

Post 35

Are there any anti-hero movies?

Post 36

Baron Grim

Some greats!

A Clockwork Orange
Scarface
Citizen Kane
Dog Day Afternoon
Fight Club
Taxi Driver
Dirty Harry
Oldboy
Most of the Tarantino films.

Post 37

Amazingly, I've seen four of the Tarantino films. Just don't ask if I enjoyed them. smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post