A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you thank the driver when you get off a bus?

Post 1

Wand'rin star

Journey back from Lincoln yesterday.99% of passengers (including me) did. One did not.smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 2

Icy North

Yes, I do, so long as

a) I leave through the front doors (I'm not going to yell it from the rear)
b) Their driving was unremarkable.

Post 3

Bluebottle

Again, as long as it is a door at the front, then yes.
smiley - bussmiley - ta

<BB<

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Yes, I usually do. I get off at the last stop, and I'm usually the sole remaining passenger. It would seem odd not to at least wish the driver a nice day.

Post 5

Icy North

Why aren't we more generally like this? I've sat most of the last 30+ years in an office, and nobody's ever thought to thank the IT person when they walk past his desk at the end of the day.

Post 6

Baron Grim

Gratitude is over-rated.

http://youtu.be/NZMTPGc0Z6A
(Lenny Bruce: Thank You Mask Man)

smiley - evilgrin

Post 7

Bluebottle

Mind you, if you travel by coach you're expected to tip the driversmiley - 2centssmiley - bus

<BB<

Post 8

bobstafford

Thats a tough question!

The honest answer is no not once in 25+ years that I can remember.

Rude, well in my defense I do not remember using a bus in 25+ years. I guess I guess I am not alone among the car and motor bike owners on this site.smiley - ale

Post 9

Bluebottle

Come to the Isle of Wight in a fortnight for the annual smiley - ale and smiley - bus weekend.smiley - cheers

<BB<

Post 10

swl

Yes.

But my dad was a bus driver so I was perhaps more aware of the hassle they get doing their jobs.

Post 11

Wand'rin star

I wondered if it was a country thing, as I have been on buses in big towns where this didn't occur. When I was a very small child I held my grandpa's hand while he thanked the train driver (from Cornwall to London)smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 12

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Hi Bobstafford. Not sure what country you're in (UK, US?) but in UK urban areas there are so many buses around that even the most ardent petrol-head who owns many cars/bikes, will, from time to time, find themselves on a bus.

Alcohol consumption would be the main reason; perhaps less of a reason to use a bus if you're a car-owner who doesn't drink. But even when sober, there are times when a bus (or a train) is the preferable option. For example, myself as a car-owner who uses my car daily, I still get a bus into the nearest city centre (Aberdeen) and can count on one hand how many times I have driven into town. It's just easier than trying to find and pay for parking, plus it gives me time to relax and let someone else drive for change.smiley - ok

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I rarely drive into downtown Boston. It makes more sense to take the bus

Post 14

bobstafford

It was having lived off grid "UK country bus service speaking" it was faster and easier by car.
Although not impossible it was faster and less hassle smiley - smiley

Post 15

Baron Grim

The nearest bus service for me is a 25-30 minute drive away. smiley - laugh

Post 16

bobstafford

That makes two of us smiley - smiley

Post 17

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

My most recent distance travel by bus was from London (UK) to Cardiff. No air-flow, a horrendous smelling toilet sending "aroma" through-out the bus. We just wanted to get off !

But 35 years ago, frequent bus travels of 7 hours each way - I certainly did thank the driver for a safe and comfortable ride.

Post 18

Pink Paisley

I do.

Nobody ever thanks me for doing my job. Well rarely.

Perhaps I ought to get good at it.

PP.

Post 19

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Of course. I was taught courtesy and if I could I would thank the train drivers/airline pilots as well. Politeness cost nothing and will gain you friends.

smiley - tea

Post 20

Deb

I don't know why anyone wouldn't say thank you if they pass the driver on the way off. Even if it had been a bumpy ride, manners cost nothing. I don't think I could NOT say thanks if I tried.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post