A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Are these interesting times?

Post 21

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

The Darwinism effect at it's best. However I'm getting fed up with the smartphone addicted twits who keep trying to immolate themselves under my car wheels because they won't put it away when jaywalking the road in front of me.

Still uneasy about the way people and countries seem to have polarised in some directions. Was hopeful about the way the rest of the globe just ignored the US withdrawal from climate change commitments but realised that it's partly down to the money making aspects of using greener energy that's pushing them on rather than altruism for those who are more likely to lose their low lying coastal countries to the rising seas.

smiley - tea

Post 22

Bluebottle

Here's a map of what the UK might look like in the event of rising sea levels:
http://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/1d/7d/e41d7de1724252cd8228c796e2ad8b1a.jpg

<BB<

Post 23

Chris Morris

Pointing out the possibility of green energy being profitable has been a very effective way of persuading capitalists to support environmental issues. I can't see a problem with making a reasonable profit from doing the right thing, personally.

Post 24

Bluebottle

Yep, it's a win/win for everyone.

<BB<

Post 25

Icy North

Fascinating map, thanks Bluebottle. As we lose most of the East of England, we have to seriously wonder where our agriculture is going to be. We certainly can't sustain much of a population. I also wonder where the centre(s) of government will be. The map suggests Kingston upon Thames, but that's now on a pretty insignificant island. It will more likely be Manchester or Birmingham, or indeed Edinburgh or Glasgow, which are interestingly cut off from the Scottish Highlands.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/1d/7d/e41d7de1724252cd8228c796e2ad8b1a.jpg

Post 26

bobstafford

A toll road at Bath would b a good investment.

Is this maximum melt of the ice cap, and/or what is the high of the sea level.

Post 27

swl

There have been scientific studies done showing that if every householder put two 5 litre containers of seawater under the stairs, rising sea levels would be stopped.

Post 28

bobstafford

That is an interesting statistic smiley - ok

However if you live in a bungalow you will need a loft conversion smiley - winkeye

Post 29

Pink Paisley

Since water that falls on the land ultimately runs to the sea, couldn't we just put rainwater under the stairs, thus maintaining the salinity of the sea?

And also saving the carbon emissions generated by my 150 mile round trip to Southwold?

PP.

Post 30

Pink Paisley

And I still haven't worked out whether these maps are supposed to make us think that rising sea levels are a bad thing. I mean. You know. Hull.......?

PP.

Post 31

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"it's partly down to the money making aspects of using greener energy that's pushing them on" [Still Incognitas]

But it was the money-making aspects of fossil fuel use that got us to our present predicament. At least money-making is a consistent part of the process.smiley - smiley And, a country like japan, with almost no natural resources, could have a level playing field with solar, wind, and geothermal energy.

Post 32

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'm still thinking of the island communities in the Pacific who face being wiped out with rising sea levels..I think they may well want to be living in less interesting times.

I'm pleased to see that the economics of green energy are helping to redress some of the global warming but what happens when it becomes less profitable?Business is business after all.

I guess we just have to hope that altruism plus empathy can balance out greed and hatred.

Post 33

The best case scenario would have them working together. Or am I just being a utopian again? smiley - huh

Charitable organizations have to have at least *some* grasp of the fundamentals of good business management if they want to continue doing the good things they want to do. With some trepidation I'm going to point to the good management that Mitt Romney brought to bear in getting Olympics on a sound track in Utah in 2002. Yeah, I know, there are reasons for imagining that he might have claimed more credit than he deserved, and that the Mormon Church was on board [Romney, as a Mormon, was helped by that], but when government and business and the nonprofits are all working together, quite a lot of good things can happen.

Post 34

Sorry, the date was a typo. I meant 2012. smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post