A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is your "waking" TV viewing?

Post 1

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Contrary to the beliefs of many, there really is a 5 o'clock in a morning. And by then, I am often well awake, and into my 2nd cup of smiley - coffee. *

Trying to be quiet and not disturb a properly sleeping bride, I watch easy TV. Some seasons introduced me to Dr Who, others reprised most of the Star Trek worlds. But my favourite has come around again - - - The Twilight Zone.

What is your complement to morning wakings?

* and now I will have that Gordon Lightfoot tune in my head all day smiley - erm

Post 2

Pink Paisley

At that time of day, BBC News.

PP.

Post 3

SiliconDioxide

I usually wake half way through the programme following the one I sat down to watch.

Post 4

Icy North

I've never watched Breakfast TV, and can't imagine any reason to. I think I need quiet in the morning, to help me mentally prepare for the awful things that will happen in the day ahead (like going to work and meeting people).

Post 5

No BBC news on my basic cable TV service. And by 5 AM, I have already gone through the on-line news of two of our national publications

Post 6

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I wake up to my husband watching Fraiser on Channel 4..Which would be okay but for the fact we are on the 3rd repeat of every series thus far.If we get to the 4th I'm going to build a new patio and bury either the TV or him under it..

Post 7

Icy North

Bury them both. The future archaeologists would appreciate it.

Post 8

Baron Grim

I can empathize with your husband. While I know it's a complete waste of time rewatching episodes of old sitcoms I've seen multiple times before, it is greatly relaxing, comfortable, and smiley - zen. I would not be surprised if it puts your brain into some type of "alpha" state where you tune out all distractions and thoughts and reach satori.

Until I recently lost the channel that carried it on my satellite subscription I was addicted to watching reruns of Parks & Recreation. I didn't start watching the new episodes as they aired until the final couple of seasons, so I was catching the reruns in syndication to catch up. Once I caught up, I just kept watching them.

smiley - zen

I knew a fellow that was an AA sponsor to several addicted young people. He had only one rule. They could call him at any time of day or night EXCEPT between 10:35 and 11:05 weekday evenings as that was when he was watching reruns of M*A*S*H. (This was in the days of long ago before DVRs and streaming services and you had to schedule your viewing. What a barbarous age.) He told them they had better be ODing if they called in that time slot. smiley - laughsmiley - evilgrin

Post 9

A few years back, I bought an "everything M*A*S*H" disc set - from the original movie, through all series episodes to the finale. On a stormy winter's day, we'll grab a disc at random and watch the 8 or so episodes on it. Sure we have seen them all many times, but each time is fresh and fun again.

Post 10

Bluebottle

We usually only have one television in the house* and it isn't in the bedroom, so I don't switch the television on when I wake up. I might read a book.

<BB<

*We do have a pair of portable television/DVD players that we use on long car journeys to keep the children entertained. Sometimes I plug one of those in the kitchen when doing a lot of washing up.

Key: Complain about this post