A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is anyone watching Eurovision 2017?

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Yesterday I saw an advert for the Eurovision final - it is next Saturday!

I've got smiley - cider
I've got smiley - popcorn
I've got a thread in h2g2 smiley - magic

Is anyone going to join me? smiley - grovel

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If I do, it'll be the first time. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Pink Paisley

I love it. It's so bad.

(Could do without Graham Norton and before him Terry Wogan with their smart *rs*d comments though. I'm quite capable of coming up with my own).

I may have to send Mrs PP away for the evening though. She hates it because it's so bad.

PP.

Post 4

Icy North

I'll be watching, but I may not get online here to chat about it.

It's a bit like watching World Cup football with young relatives. They ask "Uncle, did we *really* win this in the olden days?"

Post 5

Mol - on the new tablet

I will, as always, be watching with my family and friends, score sheets at the ready, and unable to keep up with this thread. Sorry.

I don't think Eurovision is terrible, or 'so bad it's good'. I love pop, and for the past decade or so I've really struggled when allocating scores, because there have been *too many* good songs. My favourite each year never wins, but I usually like the one that does.

The UK will never win again, because we've lost our primary advantage (singing in English).

Mol

Post 6

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

The young man representing Australia this year will be interesting to watch. His name is Isiah Firebrace and he really is quite endearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiXEMYUqa3w

Post 7

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

When you say 'endearing', do you mean 'hot'?
I am playing through the songs now. It's interesting to hear them all, and it doesn't really spoil the night because the performance adds so much.
Another 'interesting' fact is that the Cyprus entry is written by a guy called Thomas G:son. No, that isn't a typo, there is actually a colon in his stage name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_G:son

Post 8

Baron Grim

I took an intro to coding class a long time ago and the teacher gave a great example of why you shouldn't assume too much about what type of data might be entered into your fields. He said a prospective student at the school had a lot of difficulty enrolling as their system wouldn't accept her name, T9C. She pronounces it "Teeninesy". They didn't foresee anyone using numeric characters in their first name.

At least T9C is pronounceable, unlike G:son. Is that a click or whistle?

Post 9

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

"When you say 'endearing', do you mean 'hot'? "

smiley - yikes He's only 17!! I've had pimples older than that smiley - laugh

I mean that when I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a "nice kid" - not smart or pretentious etc.

It's interesting that of the artists Australia has presented none have fallen into the "Anglo" basket. Isaiah is indigenous, as was Jessica Mauboy, Dani Im was born in Korea and Guy Sebastien is Australian/Malaysian. It's a good representation of our multicultural society smiley - ok

But I still hope we don't win smiley - laugh You can keep all that stuff over there .... I love it but don't want it smiley - shrug

Post 10

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

The general consensus is that, if Australia win, they will make an agreement with another country to host it on their behalf, most likely Germany.

Post 11

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I'll be here as well, Baileys at the ready.

I may get quite incoherant as the evening goes on, so excuse any drivel.

smiley - cheers

Post 12

Pink Paisley

I shall be there with a bottle of wine. I'm expecting sever hours worth of drivel. From Kiev.

PP.

Post 13

Pink Paisley

Just in case I need to clear that typo up, the missing letter could have been an 'e' OR 'al'.

Several severe hours....

PP.

Post 14

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

I'll be on the cider smiley - cider myself so I'm ready for the several severe hours too smiley - laugh

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

No red button subtitles this year either smiley - sadface

Post 16

Pink Paisley

Is there a 'turn off Graham Norton' button?

PP.

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

Sadly no - that used to be on the red button too...

Post 18

Pink Paisley

When Europe leaves us in a couple of years, will this all be in English still?

Will we also leave the ESC? Can we have a referendum on that?

PP.

Post 19

SashaQ - happysad

A good upbeat opening song from Israel smiley - ok

Post 20

SashaQ - happysad

I think English and French are the lingua franca of it but a referendum will be needed indeed smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post