A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The UK Election thread

Post 101

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I thought good taste was a disadvantage for a canvasser. smiley - huh

The UK Election thread

Post 102

swl

If you complain politicians are out of touch and not listening you can't complain about canvassers whose job is specifically to listen to you and feed the information back in order to guide candidates and parties.

If everyone only spoke to canvassers of parties they approve of then those parties will exist within a self-affirming bubble and not understand what they need to do in order to convince sceptics.

The UK Election thread

Post 103

Icy North

I agree. Putting up with canvassers once every four or five years is a small price to pay for being in a democracy.

Not sure their job is "specifically to listen to you and feed the information back in order to guide candidates and parties", though. They do want to gently persuade you to vote for their side if they can. And if you are already a supporter, they will want you to display a poster or signboard.

The UK Election thread

Post 104

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well the event in Manchester will lead the media to showing how strong and stable Mrs May is..Corbyn's closing of the gap will erode away.She'll win by a landslide.

Well that's my take.

The UK Election thread

Post 105

Vip

Feedback *should* be part of the process. Not having ever been canvassed though, I have no idea if this is the case.

smiley - fairy

The UK Election thread

Post 106

Wand'rin star

Sorry SWL, I can't agree. My first canvasser in 35 years would not have wanted to waste her time in the rain and certainly would not have passed my opinions on. The man has an unassailable majority and all she would have recorded is one opposing vote.

I do hope MCR doesn't strengthen the Tories even further. smiley - starsmiley - star

The UK Election thread

Post 107

Icy North

I'm not sure it would be a huge swing, but I can see some people being swayed towards having May as PM, as she was previously a home secretary.

The UK Election thread

Post 108

I'm not sure what a home secretary. Is that someone who works from home? smiley - huh

The UK Election thread

Post 109

Icy North

Is it Secretary of the Interior in the States? The guy/gal in charge of police and things.

The UK Election thread

Post 110

I think it may be Homeland Security now.

The UK Election thread

Post 111

Baron Grim

We use some form of doublspeak with our Secretaries.

The Secretary of Interior deals with things outdoors, parks & forests.

I think our Secretary of State may be similar to your home Secretary. The Secretary of State deals with things outside the States; treaties and foreign affairs type stuff.

The person in charge of "police and things" is our Attorney General, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions (racist and thug).

The UK Election thread

Post 112

Teasswill

The press is saying that doorstep response triggered the so called u-turn on social care in the Tory manifesto.

But I do recall a drama which featured a pair of canvassers - one experienced & one novice. When someone tried to have a lengthy conversation, the experienced one cut them short & move on, said afterwards they were time wasting. The party faithful just said yes, I'll vote for you.

We've only ever had the District Councillor at the door, seeking re-election, which I was happy about at the time.

The UK Election thread

Post 113

Icy North

I once had Virginia Bottomley on the doorstep

(stop tittering at the back)

The UK Election thread

Post 114

I hope she brought a nice bottle of wine. smiley - smiley

The UK Election thread

Post 115

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"The person in charge of "police and things" is our Attorney General, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions (racist and thug)."

Note that each state has a different Attorney General, however.

smiley - pirate

The UK Election thread

Post 116

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Also, the AG is really more in charge of lawyers --- the watchdogs of police and things --- not the police and things themselves.

Each state has its own Sheriff. The Sheriff is the one in charge of police and things. The Sheriff is an elected position, strangely.

smiley - pirate

The UK Election thread

Post 117

Teasswill

I had a weird dream last night about canvassers. Dreamed I opened the door to someone who was dressed in a green sack. 'Ah, you must be the green party' I surmised. 'Nooo, I'm the Nimby party' they replied.

Not sure what that's telling me....

The UK Election thread

Post 118

Bluebottle

I suspect the Nimby Party would do quite well...

<BB<

The UK Election thread

Post 119

Baron Grim

As long as they don't do it in my back yard! smiley - cross

The UK Election thread

Post 120

But your front yard is all right? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more