A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How do you manage with Windows 10?

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

I was using Windows 8.1 until my computer blew a gasket a couple of weeks ago, so now I'm on Windows 10.

I like the look of Windows 10 better than 8.1, but there are niggles with it and I wondered if anyone had any tips.

The most irritating thing so far is that I have discovered automatic updates can't be turned off - every week I have to reset network settings to restore my internet access because the settings get updated and stop working...

Post 2

bobstafford

Dont like it at allsmiley - erm

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm being very retro in my computer use.... because of smiley - 2cents still on XP, as I can't use a lot of the sofware on it, on anything beyond 7 I think, and maybe even then not use on 7 and I really can't justify buying and learning how to use entirely new audio recording software on a new platform plus forking out £1K on a new screen reader at the same time ... so for now I keep this machien going somehow, but may be getting a laptop soon, which will probably be 10 I guess so that I don't suddenly fall so far behind, and, anyhow, I really shoudln't be using the XP machien on the internets now because of security and stuff smiley - doh

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I had a professional install Windows 10, and haven't noticed any
P -- r``````o,,,,,,,bLE*********************m

s.

smiley - winkeye

Post 5

bobstafford

So how much better is it

Post 6

I have no idea. I figure out the quirks of each edition and then take them for granted. I'm not especially adventuresome. Microsoft has this grand vision of manufacturing products with zillions of bells and whistles, but I have a set of things that I need to get, and once I have that set in place, I don't look around for more bells and whistles. If I need something specialized, I'm likely to look for an expert and buy that expert's services.

Post 7

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"every week I have to reset network settings to restore my internet access because the settings get updated and stop working..."

You're doing it wrong. smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Doing what wrong?

Post 9

Orcus

Automatic updates is not a Windows 10 thing - it's a disease of the modern commuting world.

Those of us on MacOS are not exempt, trust me.

Post 10

Orcus

computing world.

Post 11

smiley - doh

I was getting automatic updates long before Windows 10 came along.

Post 12

I mean automatic updates shouldn't ruin your connection settings like that. It isn't normal. Your settings are probably messed up somewhere at the source. You should take a closer look at them.

Also you shouldn't use Wifi in the first place, cables are more reliable. But nobody ever listens to me.

smiley - pirate

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Aha, interesting...

In Windows 8.1 I set it to notify me about new updates before installing, so I could choose what and when to install, and that worked well for me smiley - ok

I am using a cable for my internet access smiley - ok More reliable indeed

When I lost cabled internet access the first time, I used my tablet with the wifi and read a website where it was suggested that the network connection driver may have been automatically updated to an incompatible version. I reset the network settings and was able to access the internet again, but it could just be coincidental... The second time the internet access went, resetting the network settings fixed it straight away, but the third time I had to reset the network settings twice, so that did make me think something else is going on...

I shall examine the settings and background processes in more detail and see if I can spot anything...

Post 14

There are plenty of companies that fix or tweak computers. No one requires that you do everything yourself without any help.

I use Computer Domain, a few miles from my house.

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

It did happen again that I lost internet access, so I looked into the settings and found that no automatic update had taken place. I checked all the other settings I could think of, but didn't change anything, and by the time I had finished, the internet access had come back without needing a reset!

Whatever the problem was, that seems to have cleared it out so (touching wood) it has been fine since then and I'm getting on with it OK in general smiley - ok

Post 16

Then it's probably more likely something to do with your city's wider underlying infrastructure. Same thing used to happen to me.

Nothing you can do about it. You'll just have to tough it out. smiley - cheerup

smiley - pirate

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

It is definitely something to do with the computer rather than anything else, as the tablet works fine when the computer is not connecting, but I am more confident that it will be better from now on - if it does happen again I just need to wait for the computer to sort itself out without needing a reset. smiley - ok

Post 18

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I have had no issues with it at all.Love that I got the upgrade for nothing.

smiley - tea

Post 19

bobstafford

10 came pre-loaded. Still don't like itsmiley - erm its like having an annoying butlersmiley - sadface

Post 20

Icy North

I suppose you'd know, Bob.

Tell us again about all those problems you've had with domestic staff... smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more