A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Which is the most gladiatorial sport?

Post 21

Orcus

I saw a thing on telly not long back where they explained the history of Dressage.

They claimed it was how knights trained their horse to dance about on the battlefield - which kind of makes sense really. I guess a horse with a knight on board would need to dance away from swords, lances, disembowled corpses etc. during such activities.

Golly though - take away the armour, battle axes, blood and gore and it really is a different spectacle huh? smiley - biggrin

Gave just a *little* bit more respect for it still though.

Post 22

bobstafford

The Palio, held twice a year in Siena, Italy
Or
Afghan polo teams of 40 plus riders and no rules

Post 23

bobstafford

Yes Orcas very true
The basics ware steer with your heels and long sharp spurs to pierce the heavy drapes the horses were covered with.
The Capriole was the only true offensive movement, that is where the horse was trained to jump into the air and kick back with both hind legs.

Knights chargers are not like today's thoroughbred riding horsed.
They are still plenty around, the shire-horses there are many heavy horses breads all are descended from the redundant chargers that gunpowder made redundant.

Post 24

Pink Paisley

Tennis.

PP.

Post 25

Bluebottle

'Snap' when played by 5-year-olds…

<BB<

Post 26

Icy North

Some interesting suggestions, thanks. smiley - ok

That Afghan one probably captures the Colosseum spirit best, but it doesn't seem particularly modern.

'Gladius' is a Roman sword, of course, but today we only use swords in fencing, which again isn't very modern.

Taekwondo might be a good modern combat alternative - it's certainly dangerous.

But there's also a tactical element to gladiatorial combat - they carried different weapons for one thing. It's for that reason I find cricket gladiatorial. The bowler pits his wits against the batsman - both carry different weapons.

Post 27

Baron Grim

That Afghan one is disgusting! smiley - yuk

Post 28

Bluebottle

I certainly wouldn't consider it a 'sport' and I'm not endorsing it, but I'm surprised no-one's mentioned bull fighting, camel wrestling and other sports that aren't really that different from bear baiting or cockfighting which are still legal in some countries.

<BB<

Post 29

Baron Grim

Bull fighting is the first "sport" that came to my mind. And when I saw the "goat dragging", I figured that was representative of such. Bull fighting is an obvious suggestion and does belong in this category.

I wouldn't also include such abhorrences as dog fighting or cock fighting as those do not feature a "gladiator", a human fighting the animals. But I feel about the same about them as I do bull fighting.

Post 30

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Define "modern."

smiley - pirate

Post 31

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" there are many heavy horses breads" [Bobstafford]

I guess putting horses into bread would make it pretty heavy. smiley - biggrin

Thanks for the entertaining typo. smiley - smiley

Post 32

If it's gladiatorial for a man to fight animals, then lion-taming would pass muster, wouldn't it?

How about karate?

Post 33

Bluebottle

I was defining 'gladiatorial' as being the sort of entertainment that would have been seen in a Roman arena, which would include blood sports of animals fighting other animals.

<BB<

Post 34

Orcus

I'm trying to picture the Roman's of the Flavian Amphitheatre reaction to a couple of teams of guys rocking up with a bat, ball and some stumps and proceeding to take 5 days over the game...

I think I'd have been in on chucking a couple of lions in to mix it up a bit smiley - smiley

Don't get me wrong, I love cricket, but I can't see it as being a big hit with the Romans smiley - winkeye

Post 35

You can call me TC

Fencing has been mentioned. Definitely gladiatorial, as the name implies.

Otherwise, boxing.

Post 36

bobstafford

Fencing has been mentioned.
Definitely gladiatorial, as the name implies.

Especially if you enclose someones else land!

smiley - winkeye

Post 37

How about rodeo sports like riding a bucking bronco? It's the modern equivalent, damage-wise, of hunting mastodons in the last ice age.

Post 38

SiliconDioxide

G'day. I reckon it would have to be the crocks mate, but the redditors would upvote the drop-bear every time.

Post 39

Captain Hook being chased by a hungry croc?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGkdcpTY1QI

Post 40

Baron Grim

Chito and the friendly croc.

http://youtu.be/18gxw3V7cPs

Key: Complain about this post