A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What does "the good ol' days" mean to you?

Post 61

Pink Paisley

Really?

I've been to Pripyat and it all LOOKS quite normal - abandoned yes, derelict yes, but otherwise normal. If the leaf mould wasn't decaying, the place would be knee high in the stuff and it isn't. It looks the was I imagine Stevenage would after being abandoned for 25 years.

People live in the area (not so many of course permanently - but one woman in particular never moved away and is growing her own veg which she trades with people visiting the area - mostly the guides) and they aren't having to sweep up constantly.

That said, I don't think I would choose to live there. But then I wouldn't choose to live in Stevenage either.

PP.

Post 62

Pink Paisley

The good old days were when musicians died and I wasn't that bothered.

1971/72
Loius Armstrong
Jim Morrison
Janis Joplin
Gene Vincent
Rory Storm
Gene Kruppa

Meh......

2015/16
Edgar Froese
John Renbourn
Percy Sledge
Ben E King
B B King
Chris Squire
Colin Verncombe
Rick Parfitt

Noooooo!

At the time these people were more relevant to me. Looking back I see how they fit into my musical world rather better.

PP.

Post 63

Teasswill

I suppose in some ways the good old days were when people died at an age that seemed many years ahead of my own, now they're often younger than me.

Post 64

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

PP, for me there is little difference between your lists as most I don't know. In fact, Jim Morrison is possibly the one who touches me most! Not really a Status Quo fan.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 65

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Louis Armstrong and B B King richly deserve to be mourned.

George Michael died recently. Will you miss him?

The reason I have one of his CDs is because I wanted to have some inkling of what pop music people have been listening to for the last 50 years. I had never heard of George Michael, but there was a list of people who had sold more than 50 million albums, and he was one of them. For what it's worth, I didn't get a CD of "Back in Blck," the best-selling album ever, but the second-best selling one ["Bat out of hell," by Meat Loaf] suited me fine.\

I have CDs by four different Japanese bands, three different Swedish ones, and two Mexican ones. Also one French, two German, and one [Shakira] from Central America. I don't believe in restricting myself to any one country or style.

Or century, where instrumental music is concerned. If it's good, people will still be performing it no matter when it as written,

Post 66

You can call me TC

Have we given you enough fodder for an entry, Sasha?

Post 67

Icy North

Or would you like some odder fodder?

Post 68

That pun was offal! smiley - groan

smiley - winkeye

Post 69

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone - that was good fodder and odder fodder too, so I've made an Entry here A87882925

I hope it's OK for everyone, but if you have any comments or anything you'd like to see added to the Entry, let me know. I'll then add links too and put it in Peer Review smiley - biggrin

Post 70

Icy North

Very good! smiley - ok

Post 71

Perfect!

Post 72

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrin

I added links, and the Entry is now in Peer Review F48874?thread=8317310

Post 73

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! This Entry A87884761 is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Post 74

Great entry! smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post