A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Nudism? Modesty? When, where and why?

Post 1

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

What do you habitually keep covered and why?

Have you ever done without? Where? Why?

If not, why not?

What are your opinions on nudity be it public or private?

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't want to inflict the sight of my naked body on other people. Neither do I particularly want to see other senior citizens without clothing. Beautiful young people I wouldn't mind seeing, but for some unfathomable reason I never see any of them naked in my area, especially in the Winter months. smiley - huh

Post 3

bobstafford

Not much of an opinion just keep things as they are climate is the main factor in keeping covered avoiding cold or sunburn depending on the season.
smiley - smiley

Post 4

I go swimming three times a week, so I see other swimmers in the locker room. There's nothing much worth seeing anyway.

Post 5

ITIWBS

I used to go swimming in the nude during my late teens and early 20s at an inland riparian site that had a long popularity with the movie community from the 20s to the 80s including in their times people like Greta Garbo among their clientele, both as a resort and a film location.

The site, unfortunately, is no longer private, not least on account of re-routing of a highway parallel to the river, nude swimming is no longer petmitted, but there is still a public swimming area.

Otherwise, I don't practise even domestic nudity.

I've got a dust allergy and sensitive skin and I'm really more comfortable clothed most of the time.

Its getting really tough to find a really first nude swimming beach in California.

Post 6

You can call me TC

It's never bothered me and when the kids were small we spent many holidays at naturist camp sites. No idea why I never found it an issue - my parents were very Victorian and buttoned up, but I wasn't rebelling against them.

Of course, here in Germany, it's a very different thing altogether anyway. It's just normal, whether it applies to changing rooms, saunas or beaches. Not in the street, of course, or just any public place, but in the usual places.

In fact, in most saunas (as far as I know; I don't do saunas, but I've seen notices up on the doors) you are not allowed in with clothes on, which makes sense to me. Wearing a synthetic swimsuit is surely counter-productive.

Post 7

ITIWBS

There are a few good clothing optional resorts in the Palm Springs area, but they're all completely enclosed and tend to be rather expensive.

Post 8

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"What do you habitually keep covered and why?"

Windows. I don't like the sun. Wish stupid buildings wouldn't be built with stupid windows anyway. Stupid.

"Have you ever done without? Where? Why?"

Well, when I first moved here there weren't any curtains, so I had to make do.

"What are your opinions on nudity be it public or private?"

smiley - doh Oh, you're talking about bodies!

Well I think Greco-Roman and Renaissance artists had some pointless, annoying fetishes. smiley - tongueincheek

smiley - tongueoutsmiley - pirate

Post 9

Deb

Nudism is for two activities - getting changed, and showering. Well, maybe three smiley - biggrin

I'm not terribly comfortable without clothes on. Even when it's *really* hot at night, I have to at least have my knickers on. I blame this entirely on The Entity smiley - rofl

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

I'm the same, Deb

When I was a child, I would run round the garden on a hot day, for example, but ever since I turned into a monster (aka went through puberty) I've much preferred wearing clothes. I perfected the art of getting changed without taking all my clothes off at the same time, and I can just about manage showering as the water covers me up. I was better with my partner, as she didn't think I was a monster, and she was comfortable in her own skin so set me a good example.

Post 11

Pink Paisley

I have no great interest in clothing as a matter of decoration so what I wear is practical or whatever 'uniform' I need to to get through the working day.

I conform to most of society's clothing norms. However, at home I have a tendency to remove clothing as the day goes on as it suits me. At least until recently when my 32 year old daughter moved back in. When she is away I tend to walk about the house naked because I don't NEED to put clothes on. I've slept in the buff since teenage and think that I would find the practice of sleeping in clothes odd.

I have one naked pleasure though. My back garden isn't particularly overlooked and in the summer, when it rains after dark, provided that I'm not going to upset anyone else, I have been known to stand in the warm rain naked. I have a tendency not to feel the cold and the cooling effect is nice. If you have never tried it I can recommend it.

I have no problem with other people being naked whatever sex, shape or age but understand that others do. Even if I don't really understand why.

(Anybody who wants to know what I'm wearing right now can call 02134 567891 and breath wheezilly down the phone smiley - laugh)

PP.

Post 12

Icy North

Mrs Horncastle of Sutton Coldfield wants to know why h2g2 researchers have suddenly started ringing her and wheezing down the phone.

Post 13

Maria

PP, you are very funnysmiley - laugh

It depends on the context that I do without some clothes or don´t mind about other people´s wearing them or not.

I don´t like people half naked (coming from the beach , for instance) in the restaurant, even if it´s a chiringuito, (an informal bar) The same applies to shops or other venues.
Barcelona council and some villages banned to go around the streets and shops, churches... half naked.

When I´m in the beach, I take off the top of the bikini. I feel much more comfortable without wet clothes on me and love a full tan.
I´ve only been once in a nudist beach. I went because of the sand ( the usual place where I go is too rocky) People don´t care about other folks´ bodies, well, I think so... smiley - lurk

What I find a bit silly is to cover little girls as if they had tits. It´s ridiculous. It´s like training them into feeling that that part of their bodies is sexualized, is a tabu, must be covered just in case....

That kind of tabu is present in many women who would love to do topless. They feel shame, fear... It´s something taught. A cultural imposition.
It´s like the stupid trend in facebook and other sites to not allow nipples, breasts... or even breastfeeding!

.)(.

Post 14

It was supposed to hit 95 degrees today. I wear as little as I can get away with when I'm inside.....

Post 15

Deb

Whereas here in the UK I lamented not putting on a scarf & gloves this morning whilst walking the dog smiley - brr

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 16

I'm willing to bet that your dog was naked and unabashed about being naked.

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I wear clothes... and suchlike, only as and when required... half the time I'm just wearing shorts whilst in the house, at the moment, whilst its been warm (though that seems to have suddenly dropped temp a lot now...).
Never been able to wear anyting in bed smiley - yuk and never had any sort of hangups about it, as far as I recall, which in no small part was due with a lifeolong relationship started with teh NHS from th e age of 17, so one does well, kinda stop bothering about stripping and earing any given body part[s] to any nurse or doc etc, who happen to wanna have a go at doing stuff to afore mentioned part[s] smiley - shrug Generally I'll wear shirts/tops outside, even wehn warm, because, mainly the risk of sunburn, being this pale, and also to prevent undue disgust and revultion at anyone I might thereby expose smiley - laughsmiley - weird Only since I lived in a city did I have to get used to wearing shoes outside, never use to much as a kid really... its so mean hiding feet away in hot sweaty horrible shoes and things smiley - dohsmiley - alienfrown

Post 18

SiliconDioxide

Not just scarf and gloves I hope.

I had to make a smart walk in a fast suit this morning, and was quite pleased to arrive dry.

Post 19

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Today, when I had to go out, I wore, a black trilby (it was raining), leather, jeans, leather belt, knickers, and a purple coton Oxford shirt, plus a brown leather jacket. - The nurse didn't even make me strip today... she just... kinda... slid my jeans and knickers out of the way smiley - laughsmiley - nursesmiley - bruised Oh, and I wore socks and leather zip up boots, to go out... of course smiley - doh well, it was raining... smiley - erm Tonight... i'll wear more or less the same, to go bowling, cept for having to wear my bowling shoes of course, and I'll probably have changed into a linen short sleeved black shirt, after showering smiley - zensmiley - divasmiley - handbag or... my pink floaty blouse... smiley - divasmiley - handbag Probably the latter as its less suitable to wear, of course, for ten pin bowling smiley - laughsmiley - zen

Post 20

Wand'rin star

Various medical experiences have prompted a similar attitude: I was once in a Cameroonian hospital where the Xray room was the opposite end of the corridor from where I left my clothes.
This makes Monday's breast cancer check hilarious to me, whipping the cape on and off my shoulders like a matador. [It's nearly 5 years since the op and everything continues fine, thanks]smiley - starsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post