A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Can you identify this song?

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Right, this is an obscure one.

I have a vague memory of a song off the radio or something from when I was small. It was probably out some time in the mid 1970s or something. I was almost certainly a punk track. I have no idea who recorded it. I am almost certain it was NOT the Sex Pistols, but it did have that kind of shouty, confrontational sound to it.

The only thing I remember about it was what I assume was the chorus, which sounded to my delicate young ears to consist of the word "I" and the brand name "Hammerite", 'sung', if you can call it that, loudly and repeatedly thus:

"I... I Hammerite I, I Hammerite...
I Hammerite!"

Try as I might I can recall absolutely nothing else about this 'tune'. I further cannot imagine, based on my hazy memory of it, what the actual lyrics could possibly have been.

Obviously this incredibly vague description precludes the use of the normal modern methods of identifying songs, i.e. Google or Shazam or similar. I've not heard the song since the seventies, I think, and on some level I'm forced to wonder whether I dreamed it. Did I dream it? Or do you remember it? If you - what was it?

Post 2

Geggs

Are you sure it's not a mondgreen of 'Anarchy on the UK'?

Geggs

Post 3

Geggs

I can't be bothered to point out my own spelling mistake. You know what song I meant.

Geggs

Post 4

Pink Paisley

Even just back from the pub (note to self - why Thursday?), I can't help with this one.

I want to. I really do.

It isn't on Jazz FM right now.

PP.

Post 5

Mu Beta

Saccharine Trust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWsdeHzXjQ

Post 6

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

No idea what the 70's song is but that's the words I thought The Kaiser Chiefs were singing in 'I Predict a Riot' for a long time before I realised they were actually singing 'I put it to right'...

Then I learned the name of the song - about 5 years later.

Post 7

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

If you follow the captions on this Utoob vid closely,
you'll see that Hitler is going to have to buy a pair
of purple parachute pants - cuz it's hammertime.

http://youtu.be/QEiyPdk_g7g

smiley - laugh
~jwf~

Hidden

Post 8

Hoovooloo

I'm positive it's not "Anarchy in/on the UK". When (years ago) I got hold of a copy of "Never mind the nadgers" I played through it fully expecting to find "my" song was on there... but it's not.

Apart from anything else, AitUK's tempo is a little too sedate compared to the one I'm thinking of.

And unfortunately it's not Saccharine Trust, either, although that does again sound something quite close to what I'm hearing in my head it's the wrong "beat", if that makes any sense.

Post 9

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Just reinstating the subject title smiley - run

lil x

Post 10

tucuxii

Could it be White Riot by the Clash

I used to think the irst line of the Israelites by Desmond Decca was "Woke up in the morning baked beans for breakfast"

Post 11

Icy North

Ooh, oh... me ears are alight... smiley - musicalnote

Post 12

swl

This is on the tip of my tongue. Was it really punk? Maybe reggae or Ska?

Post 13

swl

It wasn't "I..I liberate I liberate, I liberate" was it?

Post 14

swl

Spear of Destiny - Liberator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWXnKqby4LQ

Post 15

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - laugh

It does say hammerite!! smiley - biggrin

Post 16

Hoovooloo

YES!

YES!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has been bugging me for DECADES!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Post 17

Hoovooloo

What amazes me is that this was released in 1984! I'd have bet folding money it was six or seven years older than that, based on my very hazy memory of when I started hearing.

I guess when I heard it on the radio on the 80s I assumed it was an "oldie" - I'm listening to it as I type this and it certainly reminds me of the Pistols a bit.

I cannot express what a relief it is to know what it is finally.

Post 18

swl

smiley - laughsmiley - blush

I tried singing it into Soundhound - it suggested Madonnas smiley - erm

Post 19

hygienicdispenser

Interestingly Kirk Brandon, the lead singer in Spear Of Destiny, was also a quite proficient artist. His painting "Lovers Waltzing on the Beach" was critically acclaimed, but later disappeared. He said that he used it to pay his hotel bill in St Ives, Cornwall, but he was a renowned joker, so that story has little credence. The other story, that the painting was used as kindling by the K Foundation on their famous isle of Jura jape, is considered to be more believable.

Post 20

swl

Was that when the KLF burned a pile of money? I vaguely remember that.

Key: Complain about this post