A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Zombies are coming...

Post 41

Pastey

I'll happily be bartender at the Pub at the End of the Apocolypse!

And I am *totally* taking that as a book title!

Post 42

Superfrenchie

The French title for World's End is Le dernier pub avant la fin du monde ("the last pub before the end of the world"). I could very well imagine you reprising Simon Pegg's part ans saving the world. smiley - biggrin (well, apart from the bits where they say he's the world's biggest loser, of course).

Post 43

Pastey

He's just done a film around that I think. And there's the Neil Gaiman story on the pub at the end of the world.

I like the play/twist on it being after an apocalypse though. Lots of short stories pulled together.

Post 44

Elentari

I have had this conversation with friends. One of my friends has a Sikh sword - it's ceremonial, but sharp - so I'd be straight round there, possibly nicking a 4x4 on the way.

Post 45

Pastey

That reminds me, my scythe needs sharpening, it's been left to sit for the last few years. Might need a new handle too actually.

Post 46

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

There's cannibalism in the book and film "The Walk."

I'm gradually learning how to grow my own food. So far I'm managing to grow carrots and beans. Next year I hope to add turnips, beets, and celery. Taken together, these might make for a subsistence diet: Protein and carbs from the beans, carbs from the turnips and beets, vitamin A from the carrots and vitamin C from the turnip and beet greens and celery. I might also try potatoes, which some cultures practically live on. Tomatoes in pots would also be good. I was a vegetarian for a decade, and could be one again. There's very little fat in the veggies mentioned above, so I would supplement them with acorns which I could gather form the oak tree in my neighbor's yard. Acorns need to be soaked four times in water to remove the bitter tannins and make them edible.

Vitamin B12 can only be found in animal sources. perhaps I can raid the nests of the wild geese for eggs smiley - bruised or eat the geese themselves.

Post 47

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

well in the war people used to keep rabbits for food,
the bonus being that they breed quickly so it dosnt take long to replace any you do eat and they do the garden for you smiley - winkeye

Post 48

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Rabbits also eat heavily, which would require a larger garden if it's also feeding you.

Post 49

Pastey

True, but they also clothe you quite well too. I think it'd be the wild ones that might go first mind.

Key: Complain about this post