A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Nooooo! Dr Who regenerates.

Post 1

Pink Paisley

Not bothered about the argument about how about how many times the Dr can regenerate.

And I'm going to get MY two-pennorth in first.

I'm resigned to never getting a woman Dr (so no Meera Syal or Nadia Sawalha then).

So. John Thomson please.

Couldn't find the thread from last time (it was about 4 years ago though).

PP.

Post 2

U14993989

>> I'm resigned to never getting a woman Dr (so no Meera Syal or Nadia Sawalha then). <<

A woman Dr wouldn't be a Who, she would be a Where of her position. No gallivanting around the universe on some young mans wild chase to solve everything by himself. She would centre herself and then spread out through social networking seeking compromise and sisterhood. smiley - shrug

Maybe it is time to retire the Dr Who and introduce Science books or something.

Post 3

Pink Paisley

No.

PP.

Post 4

HonestIago

Actually Stone Aart, you're completely wrong. It's been confirmed that Time Lords can and do regenerate into both genders: in the Doctor's Wife the Doctor talked about the Corsair who had been both male and female at different times. A female Doctor is not impossible and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I'm toying with the idea that, if Hunt is the Doctor who ended the Time War, they'd need someone who was less of a warrior, less of an action hero and having a female Doctor would play right into that.

As for who (pun unintended) - the problem I have is that a lot of great female actors have already been in the show as other characters. I'd love to have seen Catherine Tate as the Doctor, she can handle the humour and the drama with ease, or Jessica Hynes, but she's already been in it. Olivia Colman would be a great choice but I suspect she's too big for the role and, if she wasn't busy with Game of Thrones, I think Carice van Houten, would really nail the alien side of the Doctor.

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

I'm thinking Sue Perkins would be most excellent. And now we have the 500+ regenerations we can have as many female doctors as we want.

Although I do have to say, HI that a female doctor could be just as action hero as any guy.

Post 6

U14993989

I think if they are to continue with the Dr Who drama / serial then yes I would prefer to have a woman play the role ... but for me the role itself is masculine. I would like the new Dr Who to produce a memorandum of understanding and set up a truth and reconciliation commission in order to settle the disputes we have with the daleks and cybermen. With the daleks we could agree to improve access to buildings etc for the cybermen we could introduce them to cyberwomen.

The programme itself was born in the cold war era of paranoia and fear and many of the stories pander to those emotions and offer militaristic solutions.

Post 7

HonestIago

Stone Aart, why don't you just admit you've never watched an episode and don't have a clue about what you're talking about? Because you clearly don't. The Doctor is a committed pacifist who instinctively dislikes the military.

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

smiley - kiss

Post 9

Rockhound

Hmmm, possible Doctors:

Robert Llewellyn (think he could do the more professorial side of the Doc)
Sean Pertwee
Rory Kinnear
Adeel Akhtar (Wilson Wilson in the recent Utopia series - I think he'd be great as the doc)
Helena Bonham Carter
Tamsin Grieg
Diana Rigg

Post 10

bobstafford

Jo Brand a Dr with attitude smiley - magic the viewing figures will trebblesmiley - laugh

Post 11

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22745398

Gods no, not Russell Tovey.

By the Nine, that would *ruin* the whole thing for me.

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

he's too deeply embeded as Alonso, isn't he?

What about James Nesbitt?

Post 13

Geggs

Not to pour cold water on the speculation, but before he was cast as the Doctor I had barely heard of Tennent and never heard of Matt Smith. So, I consider the possibility that the next Doctor will be anyone that I already know about to be quite unlikely.

Geggs

Post 14

HonestIago

I like the idea of Tovey, he's a quality actor, but as has been said he's Alonso Frame. Plus RTD said it as a joke that just won't die.

Post 15

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

People who would make an interesting Doctor but will never come within a country mile of the part:

Ray Winstone
Helen Mirren
Guy Martin
Robbie Coltrane (maybe a country half mile)
Henry Blofeld
Victoria Wood
Julie Walters
Ken Dodd

Discuss smiley - tongueout

Post 16

Secretly Not Here Any More

Idris Elba for me, please. The right mix of authoritative and approachable.

Post 17

Icy North

It has to be someone who is on a completely different planet in all senses of the phrase.

Victoria Coren.

Post 18

hygienicdispenser

Or from the comedy actor stable:

Julian Barrett
Reece Shearsmith
Mark Heap

or how about Stephen Merchant? I could believe him as an alien.

Post 19

Secretly Not Here Any More

Seems to be a lot of comedy actor nominations. Am I the only one who wants to go back to a more commanding, authoritative Doctor? We've had two happy cheeky chappies in a row now, let's get someone with gravitas.

Post 20

Mu Beta

John Prescott?

B

Key: Complain about this post