A Conversation for Ask h2g2

British Insults (Again)

Post 1

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

If a woman had done something that wasn't actually forbidden, but that society nonetheless considered to be scandalous, what might you call her while you were gossiping with your friends behind her back?

smiley - pirate

British Insults (Again)

Post 2

Xanatic

A philandering jezebel.

British Insults (Again)

Post 3

Jezebel? What's a jezebel?

smiley - pirate

British Insults (Again)

Post 4

HonestIago

A trollop or a tart, or if it was more serious a slut or a slag. Bitch might be used as well.

British Insults (Again)

Post 5

HonestIago

Quite surprised that got past the filther. Lest anyone accuse me of misogyny I'd also use those terms for the scandalous behaviour of male friends.

British Insults (Again)

Post 6

Mu Beta

I once played jezebels as an first-turn double-double word in Scrabble, enabled by my opponent putting down a B in the right place. 108 points, if I remember rightly.

B

British Insults (Again)

Post 7

Xanatic

You call your male friends trollops?

Jezebel is a character from the bible, often used as a reference to a woman of loose morals.

British Insults (Again)

Post 8

Xanatic

Strumpet also sounds rather British.

British Insults (Again)

Post 9

Icy North

Floozy

British Insults (Again)

Post 10

Mu Beta

Cherie?

B

British Insults (Again)

Post 11

One caveat I forgot to mention... No sexual connotations, please.

smiley - pirate

British Insults (Again)

Post 12

swl

Hmm. What should a group of flibbertigibbets refer to someone else as?

British Insults (Again)

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm having trouble getting into the right frame of mind for this because I don't know what the woman in question has done that is so objectionable. For instance, if the woman's legal but socially frowned-on actions consisted of chewing out her husband or boyfriend, she might be called a harpy or harridan or henpecker. if she cheats at card games, she's a cheater. If she flouts social conventions eveyr chance she gets, she's a nonconformist.

British Insults (Again)

Post 14

U14993989

Ignore the beginning part where Satan appears, and pay attention post 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKORcr1jhY

British Insults (Again)

Post 15

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

How about NOT gossiping behind their back and not calling them anything but their name?smiley - winkeye

British Insults (Again)

Post 16

Because it's a comedy and we have to laugh at the character's stupidity.smiley - winkeye

~*~I'm having trouble getting into the right frame of mind for this because I don't know what the woman in question has done that is so objectionable.~*~

Well it wouldn't matter now. Let's see... How to explain this...

The story takes place in the 1890s in England. Lucy, an upper-class woman, sleepwalks outside her home in the middle of the night. Her friend, Mina, goes out and finds her, then brings her back home. In our modern age no one would care a whit, but back then (for some reason) such a thing could apparently lead to a huge scandal and vicious rumors, so on the way back to the house Mina makes sure they're not seen by anybody and then doesn't mention it to Lucy's doctor later.

Where the joke comes in is that the Doctor is asking Mina questions and Mina frantically denies that any of the above ever happened. She says something along the lines of: "Lucy is a respectable member of the community, not some... some... scarlet woman / trollop / jezebel / strumpet!"

I'm leaning toward jezebel.

smiley - vampiresmiley - pirate

British Insults (Again)

Post 17

Beatrice

Hussy.

British Insults (Again)

Post 18

You can call me TC

As Incognitas says, it's best to avoid such insults, but when I was a girl, if someone had done something nasty, or if the speaker simply didn't like her, she would call her a "cow". I have heard a joke about two modern teenage girls bitching. One calls the other a f**ing cow. And the insulted one complains "She called me a cow!" - the f**ing being of no consequence to her, but the "cow" part really hitting home.

Just goes to show. When I was that age we would never have used the f word. We probably hadn't even heard of it.

British Insults (Again)

Post 19

smiley - bluelight

smiley - vampiresmiley - pirate

British Insults (Again)

Post 20

Hoovooloo

Before I reached post 17, I was already mentally composing a post in which I recommended the word "hussy". I can now merely second B's excellent suggestion.

"Slattern" might also work in the context.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more