A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Isn't garlic well-designed? ...

Post 1

Icy North

...each clove individually wrapped. smiley - smiley

Any other examples where nature does it better?

Post 2

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Banana - The first ready-packed take-away food.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 3

Mu Beta

If garlic was properly designed it would be easier to remove the peel without resulting in garlicky hands or sending cloves shooting all over the kitchen while trying to squash them under a knife blade.

B

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

A wholesaler recently tried to supply bananas
already peeled and wrapped in clear plastic.

The 'thinking' (if there was any thinking) must
have been two-fold. First, it allowed the customer
to inspect the inner-banana for flaws and secondly
it matched almost everything else in the produce
section - being shrink-wrapped in a 'hygenic' seal.

Problem was of course you can't improve on nature's
packaging and plastic makes them rot really quickly.

The idea lasted about as long as the job of the guy
who came up with the idea. IE, too long.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 5

Icy North

You don't need to hit cloves *that* hard, Mu. It's all in the mind. Be gentle, but assertive. smiley - zen

Post 6

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Or get a rubberised tube.

I just cut off the top, leaving a small 'chad' attached, which when peeled back, removes most of the skin. Cutting off the base, doing the same, finishes the job.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I take the lazy way out. I buy jars of garlic powder. smiley - smiley

Nature has some great designs. Walnuts and pecans and almonds are protected by shells. Apples and pears have skin that protects the interiors from damage. Beans and peas are protected by pods. Pumpkins have a sturdy rind that protects the flesh, while the very interior consists of seeds protected by husks.

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

Oranges (and related) have sectioned areas inside.
Not as fully compartmentalised as garlic but similar.
Dates also have a sectional 'contingency'. No doubt
they were all relatives back when Gertie the dinosaur
was lunching on the forests of Eden and men were mice.
smiley - mousesmiley - applesmiley - esuom
~jwf~

Post 9

Icy North

I'm not sure the orange is better than our attempt at the design. It's often fiddly to peel.

The Chocolate Orange also comes in segments, and it's designed to break into those if you give it a sharp tap.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Terrys-Chocolate-Orange.jpg/300px-Terrys-Chocolate-Orange.jpg

Post 10

Beatrice

I've seen the shape of a bananananana used to "prove" intelligent design. Something about it pointing towards the mouth....

Personally, I find a whole bananananana is just too much, so the intelligence of the designer was somewhat lacking on that front.

Pomegranates are dashed fiddly to extract the juicy bits from, and pretty messy too.

But celery is clearly designed with a hollw centre for filling with peanut butter, cream cheese etc.

Post 11

Baron Grim

Yea, a lot of American Evangelicals, such as Kirk Cameron (because who better than a has-been child actor to tell you about the evils of evolutionary science), like to throw out silly smiley - bleep like that to prove I.D. I like to counter with a quote from U42 . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-tC9MU852k

Oh, also, you're probably peeling your bananas the *wrong* way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

Post 12

Yelbakk

Baron Grim, that banana video just changed my life!

Y.

Post 13

Baron Grim

I've been evangelizing on the proper method of 'naner peeling for quite some time now. smiley - rofl

Post 14

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I'm a Proper Nana Peeler myself.

Occasionally people tell me I'm doing it wrong, and then the education begins.

Post 15

Hoovooloo

Garlic is NOT well designed. The Slap Chop is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

I bought one on the strength not of the original advert, but on the catchiness of that rap. They don't ship overseas, so I had to get a fellow hootooer who lives in the US to get one for me and send it on (thanks MoG!). I *really* wanted one. And you know what? It's great.

Post 16

Icy North

Can't take your garlic cloves whole, then? smiley - winkeye

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I must pluck up the courage, one day, to open the jar of pickled whole garlic cloves I made, about six years ago... I forgot about them, and worry they may be a bit strong by now... it was a mixed selection, with chili peppers, onions, garlic, and as many spices as I could find thrown in... I fear it could be dangerous though, after this length of time smiley - blushsmiley - drool Or, just very tasty smiley - blush

Post 18

Baron Grim

I ate a slice of pickled onion, pickled with habanero that had sat too long in the fridge.

smiley - steamsmiley - dragon

I don't believe I've ever ate anything hotter than that. It was tough keeping a straight face. smiley - bigeyes

Post 19

Bluebottle

Incidentally, the Isle of Wight Garlic Festival is on the 17th & 18th August next year.

<BB<

Post 20

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Crush the unpeeled garlic clove with the flat of a large knife.One quick thump will crush the garlic and loosen the peel.

Easy Peasy.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more