A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Jimmy Saville are you surprised?

Post 401

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Can't imagine him being part of a pedo-ring though- more likely to be a pedo-square smiley - whistle

Post 402

Pink Paisley

How was it that the 'authorities' found this acceptible in 1968.

Or did it simply reflect the mood of the day?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFVPxBpezk

PP.

Post 403

Pink Paisley

(Why do links sometimes work properly and other times not?)

PP.

Post 404

Sho - employed again!

there are a lot of songs from back then which are very icky. The only thing I can think that may excuse it is that the songs were meant to be seen, because they were pop, from the perspective of teenagers. As though it's a teenage boy singing it.

Which works for some but not others.

it is just icky.

Post 405

KB

There's also "Save all your kisses for me", which is about a three-year-old. smiley - ermhttp://www.h2g2.com/h2g2/skins/Alabaster/images/Smilies/f_erm.gif" />

As for the links PP - I think it didn't hyperlink because it didn't have the http:// at the start.

Post 406

Sho - employed again!

Save all your kisses is just about a dad saying goodbye in the morning though

I worry more about songs like Claire (Gilbert O'Sullivan) and the one that goes "your 16, you're beautiful and your mine" and others of that ilk

Post 407

SashaQ - happysad

I think it might be something to do with the mood of the day...

One of my mum's favourite songs is Clair - I'd heard it played, but I'd not read the lyrics before, and that is rather icky... Mum also doesn't find Young Girl disturbing like I do...

Interesting smiley - erm

Post 408

KB

I dunno, though. When you say "do ___ for me, even though you're only three", it implies something a three-year-old shouldn't normally be doing.

Post 409

Sho - employed again!

I'm going to have to look at the lyrics - because from memory it doesn't seem weird

Post 410

Sho - employed again!

nope - can't see anything wrong with that song. It's clearly a dad with a cute kid who has to go to work

http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/brotherhood-of-man/save-your-kisses-for-me-5bcf33c8.html

Post 411

Sho - employed again!

sorry, posted to early - the only three thing is supposed to be the punchline to the joke of the song, it's supposed to sound as though it's his girlfriend. smiley - smiley

Post 412

swl

If we're talking songs with shocking lyrics, how about this (written by Carole King)

http://youtu.be/f20Oz9Yr_So

Post 413

Sho - employed again!

yep - shocking. I really can't get the thinking behind writing that unless it's ironic

Post 414

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Shocking.

Having had the experience of seeing my daughter's face after she was kicked and punched by her ex- I thought I was unshockable.

smiley - sadface

Post 415

You can call me TC

My name is Luca by Suzanne Vega always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. As she intended it to. Also about domestic abuse. And mmm mmm mm by the Crash Test Dummies - extremely disturbing.

(That youtube link is blocked here)

Post 416

Sho - employed again!

Luca was written, though, to specifically address the way we look away from DV wasn't it?

I couldn't see the video (got to love GEMA) but I know the song. It's creepy

Post 417

swl

I wonder if, now that songs with dubious paedophile undertones are clearly unacceptable, we'll ever get to the stage where violently mysogynistic lyrics are equally unacceptable?

Post 418

Sho - employed again!

we can only hope it doesn't take as long smiley - smiley

Post 419

KB

Some people got there many years ago, but were probably told that it was just a bit of fun and they need to lighten up. smiley - erm

Post 420

KB

Or, of course, that "it's ironic".

Key: Complain about this post