A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Recovering from Stockholm Syndrome - h2g2 after the BBC

Post 1221

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've known a few researchers who had to start new acocunts because they forgot the passwords for their old ones. The BBC ID crossover created a few more cases of this, with people returning to H2G2 just a bit too late to get in under the wire. I hope we don't have to go through too much of this with the next owners.

Post 1222

Anothe typo smiley - erm. I meant accounts, not acocunts. smiley - blush

Post 1223

Wandrins doppelganger

I DID try very hard -over 50 attempts - to sign on and I have a file of 30 emails trying to resurrect my old account. Yhe other night I was on-line and the eyes appeared next to the old account. I was very excited but it turned out to be a glitch in the new programsmiley - starsmiley - star

Post 1224

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

I hope that last post was deliberate! smiley - winkeye

Post 1225

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

smiley - doh

WD turns up at the worst possible moment! smiley - tongueincheek

Post 1226

Mrs Zen

>> The BBC ID crossover created a few more cases of this, with people returning to H2G2 just a bit too late to get in under the wire. I hope we don't have to go through too much of this with the next owners.

That worries me too...

Post 1227

We need to find a Worry Waterfall. Stand under it and it will wash your worries away. smiley - towel

Post 1228

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

I suspect the only workable way to switch over will be to have entries in the NewHootoo guide only from those who tick a migration agreement when they first join the site. It would mean that entries from past researchers would be lost unless they (or perhaps next of kin in the case of the deceased) agree to the switch being made. Whether we make it a requirement to agree to the data transfer as a condition of joining NewHootoo is something for discussion later.

The BBC would keep the rest on file for as long as they're willing, to allow for some people being late (no pun intended) and after that the non authorised data would be deleted/archived in a library somewhere and we would have to replace it. Much of it probably needs updating anyway and other than sentimentality for some of the older entries/researchers I don't think it should cause too many ructions. At least we would get a (hopefully) independent site with most of the entries up to the current standards and be able to contact the original authors to discuss updating if needed.

I don't say this is my preferred system btw, just that I suspect it's the only one that will work (reaches for in preparation for the flack).smiley - lurk

Post 1229

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

a) it´s spelled flak. German WW2 abbreviation for FLiegerAbwehrKanone - Anti Aircraft Cannon. and
b) don´t expect flak. Very sane and very feasible idea, we can only hope Beeb lawyers are as clearheaded as you.

smiley - cheersPit

Post 1230

Spynxxx

Call me dense but I can't see why a full migration of all data isn't possible. If the site comes under the governence of either 'us' or a non profit then the transfer of all intellectual properties could be considered a guardianship as there will be no profit being made off the entries of said lapsed researchers thus no infringement of copyrights or royalty considerations should come into question.

The real problem for me has nothing to do with sentiment and everything to do with fact, something which should appeal greatly to all those who so value the EG. A whole lot of the greatest writing to be found on h2g2 was submitted by some who, for whatever reasons, no longer frequent this place. That they are not here is sad but to discard all the effort, all the love that went into the creation of those entries and this place, this place you all are so passionate about, well, that just doesn't sit well with me and to be honest, it is not a place that this 'active' researcher would consider migrating to.

Post 1231

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

'It's called flak'

Not according to Roberta's CD it's not, and judging from the picture if she was thrown at me it would hurt.smiley - lurk

Spynxxx, discarding work from Elvised researchers wouldn't sit well with me either. I wasn't advocating that solution, I just think it's going to be the only way the BBC will be able to push the site on to someone else's servers without the lawyers putting a block on it. We certainly don't want that to happen, if the legal aspects are too much of a concern for the BBC they might just sell off the site in name only and tell us to start again from scratch.

The BBC have only said they would dispose of h2g2 but they haven't given any cast iron 'official' guarantee that the disposal would mean the transfer of everything contained within, lock stock and barrel, although of course this is how we would all like to think it will happen.
After all is said and done the BBC will take the route that won't have any legal comeback. If the work of former researchers is going to give them problems they won't hesitate to drop those pages as quickly as they dropped other, just as worthy, web pages. Remember, they've ditched several other sites which were also a source of reference to people over the years. If the Beeb can't find a better solution (and they certainly won't be spending too much money on finding one) the migration scenario I envisage might be the only option we'll be offered.smiley - sadface

Post 1232

smiley - winkeye

Post 1233

Haragai

smiley - laugh
It's also hard... to believe we can actually read it too.

smiley - cheers

Post 1234

purplejenny

smiley - rainbow

Just testing. Is there any news yet?

Post 1235

Effers;England.

Others are also testing. New round of bug fixes for Barlesque due soon. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F47996?thread=8182351

Post 1236

Bugs have an unfortunate habit of multiplying quickly. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post