A Conversation for Ask h2g2

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 1

Mikey Digital

just a quick one.
when jesus fed the 5000, did he have 2 loaves and 5 fishes, or 5 loaves and 2 fishes?
pretty boring question really, but I do want to know. if you want to spice it up a bit, you can tell me what you though he made with them...
even the chefs on ready steady cook may have have a problem being especially creative with those ingredients.

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 2

ref4life

It was reportedly 5 barley loaves and 2 fishes, but the important part of the story was the 12 baskets of food that were taken up at the end. Additionally, it was 5000 men, not including women and children.

There is also the story of Jesus feeding 4000 men, not including women and children, with 7 loaves and a few little fish. After that meal seven large baskets of food were taken up.

The references are Matthew 14:13-21 for the feeding of the 5000 and Matthew 15:29-39 for the feeding of the 4000.

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 3

Colbert the Alien (patron saint of drunk Wookies)

This is quite freaky, we were talking about this in an RE lesson earlier.

Being the cynical athiests that we are, we came to a conclusion that will probably now make all christians hate us/me smiley - winkeye

We decided that there were 5000 people/men and they were by a lake and Jesus was standing on a hill doing one of those third world quality of life improvement courses. He had started by teaching the people to fish in the lake and then he was doing the old ready steady cook thing with the fish, some wild herbs and the field of wheat that was nearby. So he had the people make some bread and then mash up their fish they caught so that they could all have fish paste sandwiches for a nice snack.

then our Teacher gave us a detention for wasting half of her lesson... smiley - sadface

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 4

Trillian's child

Sardine sandwiches of course.

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 5

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Has anyone ever heard of the old fairy tale Nail Soup? A traveler stops at an old crone's house and asks for a munch. She claims she has nothing to share. He pulls a nail out of his pocket and tells her he will make nail soup for them if she has a pot and some water. They start the kettle aboiling and he asks if she has some onions (for flavoring). She does. And maybe some potatos, and a little meat, and some spices....Made a lovely nail soup.

Anyway, the point of this is, Jesus did the same thing, had everyone rooting around in their knapsacks pulling out this and that, and started the original pot luck dinner. The Lord will provide, ya know. As long as you take care of the details. That's why churches are so big on pot luck gatherings.

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 6

Abi

I know the nail soup tale - it was one of favourites as a kid!

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 7

Niz (soon to be gone)

I once fed 7 peckish people with a sausage roll and a packet ofcheese and onion crisps smiley - bigeyesCould that be deemed a miracle!!

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 8

Abi

I take it the work load is rather light over at Cartoon Network! smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 9

Rainbow

You may have 'fed' them the sausage roll and crisps, but you didn't say whether they were still peckish afterwards!!

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 10

Niz (soon to be gone)

Not really peckish. I mean on a peckish scale they were very peckish, at the end only slightly peckish. And no I'm not really busy at the moment as DangerMouse finished at 4.30pm

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 11

Abi

To go off at a tangent - Niz are you really Baron Greenback?

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 12

Niz (soon to be gone)

No, I'm more like Penfold. Crikey!! Crumbs!! Carrots!!

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 13

Mikey Digital

well, thank you very much everyone. Most of you are now going to hell.

mikey

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 14

Colbert the Alien (patron saint of drunk Wookies)

Looking at today, i think im there already.....smiley - winkeye

jesus, loaves and fishes

Post 15

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Not to worry, my dear. You'll be back... Look at it this way, at least you didn't go to heaven. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post