A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Ever heard about a jazz-rock-group called Circus?

Post 21

Pandora

Ado! I shall await your return from ?????????

Post 22

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Oops, seems I missed this thread somehow along the line (or whatever)?

Just received a new catalogue with brand new cd's - from the 60's and 70's that is, hehe. Decided to buy "Blind Faith" (you know them, but you may have forgotten them, Pan - yes, they were from back "then", hehe!)

smiley - smiley

Post 23

Pandora

"I remember very well. Most of the bands I knew personally, as I was with a 'warm up' band & met most the faqmous chaps back stage." smiley - winkeye "Those were the days, my friend...we'd sing and dance for ever and a day..."

Post 24

Are you telling me you actually met Mary Hopkins? smiley - smiley

Post 25

Pandora

...and Joni Bieaz (sp?)...andMarie Muldar...and hundreds more!
I've actually partied with many 'greats'...Page & Plant...just as a sample! smiley - smiley

Post 26

Impressive! smiley - smiley

Post 27

Pandora

"Not really...I don't like to name drop...I could tell things that would make your socks roll up and down...but I don't like to name drop. Have I meantioned that I don't like to name drop?!?
Back then, it didn't seem like I was with famous people. They were just people. Hmm, guess they are still just people! LOL!
Like mama always said, "The only thing you get from rubbing elbows with rich folks, are worn sleeves!" smiley - winkeye "Actually that's not quite true, you get alot of free drinks & meals too!" smiley - bigeyes

Post 28

But now that you actually HAVE dropped a few names smiley - smiley I'll just HAVE to ask you if "Robert Plant ever layed hands on you" (quote from "Mothers of Invention live at Filmore East") smiley - smiley

Post 29

Pandora

"Other than to hand me a smokable item...and place a stove pipe hat on my head...no...of course I WAS just 13 at the time! When I met him again a few years later...he would have LIKED to, er, um, get friendly...but my Marine boyfriend/bodygaurd/drummer sort of got in the way! HA!" (Oh he did lift me down from a huge rock we were sitting on...does that count? There were 4 of us together that fisrt day)

Post 30

During my vacation I had the opportunity to visit a shop filled with old records, recordplayers and the like. I asked the manager if he had ever heard of Circus.

He had not.

"Strange, it hasn't been 30 years since I heard them last", I said.

This made him look rather strange. Maybe because he was just being slightly older than 20? smiley - smiley

Anyway, he looked the name up in a couple of books and told me there had been no less than four bands with that name! Two american, one british and one belgian.

He didn't have the record, though - but now I know were to look!

There was an american band called Circus Maximus, BTW. Wonder if that was the one you knew? Can you give me a copule of names of the band members?

smiley - pirate

Post 31

Pandora

...I'm not positive this chap was IN 'Circus'...I remember having a major crush on him...he always played the same club where I met the guys in Circus...the fellows name was Kent.....I don't know if it was 1st or last name....as I've said, I don't remember the names.....maybe if I sleep on it, it will pop into my head...Ooo
I was such a stoner in those daze!! I WANT to help, really I do...
smiley - cry I'm sorry.....hey........maybe if we can find me some stuff I was taking back then...& then I take it now...Aaaa, skip it - it would probably kill me! smiley - biggrin

I ought to try to find some of the guys that were in the band I hung with.....I know that at least two guys are still playing in the 'Flats'...the "cool" place to party in Cleveland.....ever hear of the bar 'Hooters'? I think the 1st one started in the Flats. Ooo-I'll write my friends Sue.....she use to go to the same dance club! The only other gal who would have known...& knowing her, she would have know ALL the guys names.....died of AIDS
nearly a year ago. There's just noone left from back then who are not complete burn-outs! The drugs were good...but most of those guys took four times what they needed to take.....I always thought they were waisting it.....now I know they were waisting thenselves! Don't get me wrong...I was a partying butterfly, but I never felt the need to OVER-over do it. Does that make ANY sense to you at all? smiley - bigeyes

There's a new shop just 5 miles from my cabin....I can hardly wait to go see what they have....I need to have someone take me though as Bear has torn my car apart. I'm trapped like a rat!
I'll let you know right away if/when I find out anything! (and I've never heard of that other US Circus band...wonder if it was from CA or someplace far away from me??? I really knew nearly ALL the bands & the people in them. As I've said they didn't 'feel' famous to me....they were my friends at the time & we were just having fun! smiley - biggrin

Post 32

He-he, I can relate to that!

- also the not-so-amusing-parts, mind you smiley - sadface But hell, who gives a damn now that we don't have a chance to remake those choises, hey?

I'll look up whatever I can find on Circus Maximus again and write whatever I can find here one of these days. Maybe that'll help bring back memories. And if not, well - who cares...

Stay with the wind!

smiley - pirate

Post 33

Pandora

Er, up wind you mean? smiley - biggrin

Post 34

smiley - smiley

Did I ever tell you about the time I met Chief Man-who-stands-alone of the Mohawk Nation? It was he who told me to "stay with the wind"

Okay, here goes:

According to my danish rock-encyclopaedia Circus Maximus was an american band, formed in the midsixties, consisting off Jerry Jeff Walker (vocal, guitar, composer), Bob Bruno (vocal, guitar, organ, composer), Peter Troutner (guitar, tambourine), Gary White (bass) and David Scherstrom (drums).

Four of these first met at The Austin Jazz & Folk Festival in 1966. Scherstrom was engaged by the group Washington D.C. and thus the group came to New York.

Their repertoire was anything from psycedelic rock to avantgarde jazz but they also experimented with european classical music and in december 1967 they performed with The New York Pro Musica in a barok/rock-concert in New Yorks Carnegie Hall.

The group split when Walker left in 1968 to create a solo career.

The band made to records: "Cirecus Maximus" and Neverland Revisited"

Ring any bells?

smiley - pirate

Post 35

you will of course all be very pleased to learn that i finally found the record i was looking for. the band turned out to be swiss, allthough a few of the members were english - or at least had english names smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 36

Skipper69

I was just surfing looking up circus. The band I am thinking about started in Stevens point wis in the 60s and ran through the 70s. One of its members was Randy Glodowski. I was jus at his house talking about his band days. I used to be his neighbor

Key: Complain about this post