A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How do you feel about your Hootoo time being monitored?

Post 21

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

>>About 57 billion text messages were sent in Britain last year, while an estimated 3 billion e-mails are sent every day.<<

That makes 1,095 billion e-mails a year, without logging all the websites visited...

I reckon Elton had better warn his family that there is going to be a major round-up to power the BBM (Big Brother Machine) and that it'll be like the DNAtion, it will have a smiley - monster and pack up after a few days, after some smiley - geek has in the back door, fried himself with information overload, and then sued the Government for the equivalent of the National debt.

As I understand it, mobile phone companies already have to keep records of all mobile phone use, whether calls or texts, for a year under current legislation anyway.

A possible answer is to bombard spurious websites and send a multitude of superfluous texts just to break the machine.

Shades of:

'And on the Eighth day, machine just got upset...
A problem man had never seen as yet...'

Maybe???

smiley - erm

Armageddon outta here! smiley - runsmiley - run

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 22

Alfster

Simply put '***k off, Gordon Brown' or whoever the prime minister is at the time in the title of every e-mail you send.

I am sure a concerted effort by some IT wizards could crash the system with enough key words going into it. as has been said.

It is possibly the biggest threat to our privacy...even if they can do it at the moment without telling us but to actually have our lives recorded...Royal Mail are going to love it because more people will start sending sensitive stuff by post...though the government will probably bring in a law thath allows them to open all letters and scan the contents into the database as well.

Post 23

Malabarista - now with added pony

Wow, and I thought our lot were bad with their government trojan to install secretly on people's computers!

Post 24

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Exactly.
With the stated aims of the 'project/idea', it has absolutely no hope whatsoever of achieving anything resembling those 'aims'.
One can only pressume therefore that the stated aims are no such thing, I'd hazzard a guess its just a way to try and convince those who're easily convinced that this kind of invasion of privacy is good as a kind of back-door way of attempting to go back to the origional lunacy of ID card etc.
gain as they were utterly ineffectual an idea for dealing with what the stated aims of them was, it makes you wonder what the real genda is... pressuming there is a real agenda, and it isn't just a bunch of no-nothing brain-dead idtios who keep dreaming up all these more and more expsnive wastes of money.. hey ho. some things never change... smiley - doh
smiley - wahsmiley - cry Its shameful the types of idiots we deserve who get in power... they're just so much a bunch of pen-pushing fools.... you'd maybe think that every now and then we'd get someone with half a brain cell between them who could perform basica thought processes smiley - wah

Post 25

Bright Blue Shorts

Whether this happens or not now ... I think we're living in the dream age of the internet. I'd be pretty certain that in 20-30 years time we'll look back in wonder at how unregulated it all is. Probably one day a Governement agency will issue us with an email address at birth, and (rather like China does now) only certain websites will be accessible.

Post 26

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'd say that too, were it not for one thing... Sure we might see the demise of the 'internet' as we know it.... But that wouldn't necessarily stop the kind of experiance as we know as the 'internet', I know friends who decades before the internet came anything close to reality were hooking up their PCs (what counted for a PC at the time anyhow), remotely using phone lines... 'Its internet Jim but now as we know it' smiley - ufosmiley - erm Over-regulation just doesn't work in wahtever form it is... horror of horror when MPs realised people might find information about making bombs on the intenet... great, even if* they could remove every such bit of information from the net... heavens above a terrorist might go visit a library smiley - dohsmiley - weird

Post 27

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Researcher Dot Dot Dot : "though the government will probably bring in a law thath allows them to open all letters and scan the contents into the database as well."

As it happens, the power to open and read postal letters already exists. And yes, it has been used on my post. They admitted they were doing it to "monitor unusual postal transactions" when I moved home and was writing to someone I knew before I moved.

Post 28

Malabarista - now with added pony

Time to revive the postcard protests of the GDR? smiley - winkeye

Post 29

badger party tony party green party

The stated aims are clealry not the aims, but they would allow the Gov. to leagally invade many areas of private communication.

The stated aim of the CRB and its checks were to stop convicted abusers working wiht children and vulnerable people. It hasnt stopped child abuse though and nt even stopped dodgy people from getting jobs they should never have been considered suitable for. The thing is the facts rarely have anything to do with wider public perception.

This is irst and foremost another law to make people think the government is doing something constructive to keep them safe.

smiley - rainbow

Post 30

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit sticking smiley - spork himself with the appropriate smiley - krops
"smiley - erm I am smiley - sorry to inform you;

I have been 'monitoring' HooToo time, a long time ago for a short while. It was honestly just some experiment in collecting statistics.

Somewhere in 2005-2006 I have actually been collecting five minute intervals of the online page, this did give several wonderful results.

I erased any of these collections within a day, as they were just too bulky! (for a 120 Mega Byte Hard drive {286 on Slackware})

How about: more people were changing their nickname during online time then creating entries?

Or about my current escapades on the database statistics level of HooToo < F6833192?thread=8313658&skip=14&show=20#p110942422 >

Just following the < F19585 > 'Ask' is enough to give this kind of information.

The 'italics' were informed of even more detailed statistics . . . "

Post 31

Hoovooloo

Two things:

1. this is an interesting thread in the light of the subsequent revelations of Prism and other NSA/GCHQ monitoring programs.

2. Eh?

Key: Complain about this post