A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What would people's dream

Post 1

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

What would people's dream job be and how would you make it happen?

Post 2

Secretly Not Here Any More

Freelance writer. And as I'm already a writer, it's just a matter of getting the industry experience, building up a portfolio, and whoring myself out to those in need of copy.

Post 3

Researcher 1300304

i want bono's job. i'd do it better because i'd be quiet and not a total plonker. i aso wouldn't sue people for minor transgressions or try to avoid paying tax by living somewhere odd and having trust accounts within trust accounts.

i also wouldn't wear fidel castro's clothes, remade by some euro guy with an important name. i'd take off my sunnies when i was talking to people.

i could go on. i'd just do it better. promise. the world would be a better place.

Post 4

I'm not really here

hmm, I am about to start the third dream job I've had. First was a driving job - my dad had some taxis, so I asked if he'd give me a job. I did that for nearly ten years I liked it so much.

Second was working on h2g2. I made that happen by behaving myself, learning from and trying to behave like the person I wanted to work for, making sure they knew I wanted to work for them, and meeting up for smiley - coffee or smiley - ale when I could. I also took on extra voluntary work that related to the job so that I would have the experience that I might be lacking. It also involves having an eagle eye watching for the slightest hint there might be an opening (I had to apply like everyone else, wasn't just given the job).

The third one is working on a dog magazine. Again, I made sure the Editor knew I wanted to work for her, sent her some of my work, hung around (online) places I knew she would be, sent emails when I could, made myself helpful when I could, met up with her when I could (I managed once), invited her places I thought she might enjoy when I could, and kept those eagle eyes all polished up and shiny so I spotted the opening when it came. It's only temporary, and part time to start, but it's a fantastic chance for me to get a foot in the door and make some contacts.

I also have to add that without h2g2 I wouldn't have had the confidence, experience, nor would I have been able to write well enough to think I could do either job (obviously without h2g2 the second job wouldn't have been around, or I wouldn't have spotted it, but I think you get my meaning).

Post 5

I'm not really here

Oh, I meant to add that a willingness to work for nothing certainly helps, although I haven't actually had to do that.

Certainly not since the days I first worked for my dad when he paid me a pittance for about a year before I went self employed rather than waged.

Post 6

StephenMarkPickering

Hiya

I have a sort of dream job at the moment. I started off as a teacher and loved that. Now I am a teacher of teachers at my local university and I love this job as well. But I have a secret mission to change jobs again (well, not that secret now I suppose). I want to write a book and earn my wages through my imagination. It is more than a mere, 'want,' though. I am a hundred pages into it!!

Stephensmiley - biggrin

Post 7

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I always wanted to be either a scientific researcher working on something really important and original, or writing sci-fi and/or fantasy. The first fell through quite majorly, but the second is still a possibility, I think.

Post 8

And I well I'd smiley - love to be paid to write like I do on h2g2 smiley - smiley However, I'm trying different paths and haven't got to a paid job in it yet smiley - sadface

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

My dream job would have to be something creative related (a common theme developing there?).
Probably something music related, computer related, audio production type thing....
I'm making vague inroads in to making it more than just a dream, and hopefully this week applying for an unpaid 'internship' in London working in audio production smiley - ermsmiley - musicalnote

Post 10

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

My dream job would be to get paid to be argumentative, difficult, contentious and hard-nosed in the service of others and not worry about what managers think of me...

...oh yes, I already do that so...

Full time union official.

t.smiley - biggrin

Post 11

Moving On

I'm lucky; as a youngster I dreamed of becoming an actress - and I was discouraged to go to college to train for it; In my early thirties I was headhunted by a prestigious theatre company to train as a performer and
was paid to appear on stage!

In my forties I finally decided to retrain as an aromatherapist/massuesse, which I absolutely loved doing.

Now that my back's completely banjaxed,and I can no longer physically massage for a living,I am in the throes of learning to design and make jewelery; I think it's highly unlikely I'll ever earn a living wage from doing this- unless I make enough money at it to fund myself through a silver smithing course, but I'm still doing *something* that I enjoy.

Post 12

A Super Furry Animal

>> i want bono's job. i'd do it better because i'd be quiet and not a total plonker <<

Unfortunately, a large part of Bonio's job is being noisy and being a total plonker, so I guess you'd be doing someone else's job instead.

I always dreamt of being...a lumberjack! leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! The larch! The redwood! The mighty sequoia! With my best girl by my side!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 13

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

dammit...

Post 14

why do you say that Br. Robyn Hoode?

Post 15

Probably because he always wanted to be a girlie - just like his dear Papa! And go shopping on Wednesdays.

t.smiley - ok

Post 16

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

*nodding and struggling to stay quiet*

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK!

*blast*

Post 17

Buttered scone anyone?

t.smiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more