A Conversation for Ask h2g2

When was the last time you lost it?

Post 1

badger party tony party green party

Simple question really when did you last get so angry so quickly that you acted without thinking about the long term results of your actions?

Or has some long smouldering resentment been reignited by some seemingly insigniicant spark recently?

smiley - rainbow

Post 2

Researcher 1300304

i nearly lost it the other day. looking for a car park next to the school. came to an intersection and stopped to look left, right and ahead for parks. guy wanting to turn right ahead of me. i wave him thru. he doesn't move. so i go thru the intersection. as he passes behind me he calls me an idiot.

so i instantly brake and put the car in reverse. i'm about to go after him before i realise how really really stupid that is.

occurred to me afterwards that some of these violent road rage assaults might be a consequence of JUSTIFYING that initial pursuit. if you actually follow another car you'd feel pretty silly saying, 'you cad! what you did back there was rotten!' when you caught up. in a way whatever you do then has to justify the initial decision to follow, which in objective terms is fundamentally idiotic. self escalating really.

Post 3

swl

Funny you should ask, yesterday actually. The first time I've lost my temper in ages. A truck pulled out in front of me at a junction causing me to skid off the road. I was just feet from being killed. As he was still turning onto the road and showing no indication of stopping I got out of the car, jumped up to his cab & tried to open his door, but he locked it. As he pulled away I got his number & the number of the company and called them up. I hope the barsteward gets sacked.

Post 4

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Hmmmm....

I cannot really remember. I try to have occasionally staged managed "losing it" in meetings every now and again, goo for the members morale smiley - winkeye. But generally speaking even when livid I am in control of my faculties.

Having said that I did go on a few nasty rants again Steve McNugget during his tenure....

Post 5

swl

Hmmm. Two road rage posts in quick succession.

Post 6

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Actually now you mention it I do remember.... And it was Roadrage.

I was driving to work from home and some eejit was proper tailgating me. As the road was empty I decided to just slow loads down to pee him off.

After gesticulating me for ages he mountede the pavement to undertake me and nearly knocked some kid over and I xchased him for about 5 minutes before I calmed down and realised how stupid it was.

Dunno why I chased him, or what I expected to achieve if I actually caught him. My "fighting" record as an adult reads 0-0-6 so I would really have showed him by repeatedly facing him in the fist smiley - winkeye!

Post 7

Researcher 1300304

LOL

'My "fighting" record as an adult reads 0-0-6 so I would really have showed him by repeatedly facing him in the fist winkeye !'

Post 8

I'm not really here

Last time I lost it big time was about a month ago - in sainsburys. Actually the last two times I've lost it have been in sainsburys, although the last but one time was in the car park (nothing to do with cars or the road). Normally I have a big RAGE attack every few months, but after counselling I know what is my deep down cause and I hope to prevent these attacks.

Post 9

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Haha, mine was last friday...

jostly club playing heavy metal.

Big chap gets his drink spilled (going to happen, par for the course) and it goes down my female friend's back. Male friend who was the 'cause' of the spillage (he got pushed into the big chap) was oblivious.

Big chap starts on my male friend, telling him to replace his drink.

Female friend says 'here, you can drink it out of my top' (trying to diffuse the situation).

big chap reaches past them, picks up MY full pint (it's a godawful cocktail they serve out of plastic bins.. This place is a serious dive smiley - smiley) and tries to walk away with it. I tap him on the arm, he turns, I touch glass (well, hard plastic) and point at myself then gently try to remove it from his hand. He resists, i twist and pull harder, he resists, it spills. I pull hard, wrench it from his hand, take a step back, launch the liquid full in his face (with still a good 3/4 left in it) and then slam the 'glass' down on the floor so hard it smashes.

I then walk to the toilet in a red rage to wipe myself down.

The look on his face was priceless. Mate, dont mess with people pulling 'I'm bigger than you' stuntsbecause you're really a psmiley - bleepy... All you'll do is get me getting you. And if you're not careful i'll cry!

lol.

Thanks, I feel better all over again. smiley - smiley

Post 10

Icy North

I last lost it on the phone to my ISP's customer service. I can't give their name here, but if you want a clue, it's an anagram of TB.

I learned today how they deal with raging customers. Apparently it's a good sign, as people will mouth off, then eventually run out of steam, then apologise, and then they're easy to deal with.

Post 11

Moving On

I'd only heard of the old cliche of "the red mist"up until about 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe 6 years ago, perhaps.

It's been one of *those* days, and my elder son threw one too many "attitudes" at me; one of those "Yeah, whatever" looks.smiley - steam

It was the straw that broke the camel's back. They'd both been Right Kevins for a good three years....and I'd been very very patient with their strops up until then.

I remember knocking him off his chair and snarling something inane like"Come on then if you think you're hard enough"

...and then the mist descended and downstairs were banging on their ceiling and sending people around to see what all the furore was about.

My younger son was physically restraining me (he'd jumped onto my back)and I was backing into the kitchen work surfaces trying to dislodge him...my elder son was curled in a feotal ball on the floor and I was absolutely shaking with rage.

If I'd have been wearing shoes I think I could have done him some serious damage. As it was, I had slippers on.

Once the dust had settled a bit and we'd had a familly conference about Everyone's Behaviour, and were all talking again, nicely, the eldest asked me: "Mum... where did you learn to fight so dirty? I didn't know *half* those moves"

I hadn't thrown a punch since junior school days! I don't know any fighting techniques at all.

On the plus side,I've never felt the need to raise a hand against either of them since; and they both learned very quickly not to attempt to push me too far ever again.

It was possibly not the best way to deal with the situation.... but the long term results have been very good.

And they still tell that story to their mates, with a certain amount of rueful pride; the moral being,I assume "Don't mess with mum" or something sort of similar.

Post 12

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I very* nearly utterly 'lost it' earlyier today and put a hole through the keyboard, the kesk underneath and quite possibly the concrete floor smiley - blush And what sparked such a rage? on a website... someone had listed, in alphabetical* order the names of groups, (this was linking to MP3s/torents).
And.
And, they'd put 'Neil Diamond', in under 'N'... rahter than the 'D' which would be the right place for it to be. smiley - erm actually I'm still fuming about it and may have to Email them to correct such a near fatal error smiley - erm

Post 13

DaveBlackeye

The last time I lost it properly was probably at primary school, about 30 years ago.

God knows I've had good reason to since - 20 years of driving, several relationship breakups, kids... but I just can't do it. It's frustrating, 'cos I need to fake anger when it's appropriate and I'm a shite actor. Thank Bob for smileys smiley - crosssmiley - grrsmiley - steam

Only last week we were walking to school when a car calmly mounted the pavement to manoeuvre around an oncoming car and very nearly ran over my sprog's foot. I instantly knew that the "right" thing to do would be to lose it properly and beat the driver to within an inch of his life, but I couldn't.

Turned out the driver was a grey haired old biddy who was simply oblivious to stuff like pavements and pedestrians, so probably just as well, but I still hate myself for my inability to act appropriately.

Post 14

badger party tony party green party

I normally lose it because of some underlying stress.

Im a terrible organiser and communicator, so if Im in charge of something I worry about everything being in its place and dont delegate because Im so bad at giving directins that are precise and clear that people often get poor information from me. When a big event is on Im a simmering pot o anger that only needs a little stirring to get me boiling over.

I usually keep mysel in check because Ive come to recognise when Im near to boiling point.

A few weeks ago me and my matre were returning from a good night out with the lads when I saw this bloke hunched over in the street. I thought he'd been stabbed or assaulted in some way. It turned out he thought he was suffering from an appendicitis. I called an ambulance and waited reassuring him and trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Just then some drunken Herbert walked past and started giving me abuse. I told him to do one and he carried on running his mouth eventually babbling some shit about me being black and just expecting him to be scared of me.

It very nearly nded up with me having to call two ambulances. Mid way through throttling him and bouncing his head o Woolworths' window I realised the irony of my sudden switch from calm good Samaritan to twitcy slap happy thug. Maybe it was the racist abuse, but normally I deal with that differently. It might have been the boooze but again normally I just get happy and sing-a-long-a-badger. I think it was the worry of what was going on wiht the ambulance and i the kid inront of me was going to be alright.

We hear a lot about violence in the papers and see the shocking CCTV on the news. I wonder if I'll turn up in an edition of one of the tabloid shows of street violence? Will they cut it to make it look like Ive just left one victim hunched in a doorway to set upon another?

Or will all the people reading this thread consider what was actually going on inside the perpetrators of the seemingly ceaseless parade of violent crimes we hear about.

smiley - rainbow

Post 15

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Br Evadne Cake, I can completely associate with your experience.

As I posted here a long time ago, I had a very unpleasant experience, that I will truncate:

It was my youngest sister, 30 years ago. She had been sent to the garage to tidy up (the consequence of minor misdemeanor) She was really not a happy smiley - bunny and she also had a fiery temper. She started to throw things around, being in a seroius strop. I was called, as the big brother, to resolve the said strop.

My sister has my pride and joy, one very expensive (£50 at 1980's prices) Olney handmade straw boater in hand.She was about to throw it across the garage in a fit of Pique and rage. I screamed 'No'. The previouslyi mentioned Boater was thrown (luckily it was so well made there was no damage). Unfortunately I physically grabbed her around the neck, lifted her off the ground by about six inches, whilst screaming complete garbage. My parents rescued her and I was sent to my room with a very severe reprimand (if not worse)... and I have never, ever lost my rag, or sworn intentionally since then.

I daren't, in case the same happens again! smiley - sadface... And even now, I am still unsure if I ever apologised to her... And I love her to pieces!!!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 16

McKay The Disorganised

I last totally and utterly lost in 1969 when I came out of a red rage to find I was holding someone up by the throat and they'd gone a funny colour. I don't even remember why.

I have since then half lost it - reacted really badly to a situation, but at the same time keeping a sort of overview of myself. Its hard to describe.

smiley - cider

Post 17

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I can understand that situation,McKay, and I'm pleased I have never repeated it!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 18

Anoldgreymoonraker Free Tibet

I sort of did last night when my daughter told us that her english teacher told her she had miss spelled her own surname I put it right at about 10 am this morning when I went to the school and suggested / demanded the teacher spell her name by reading it from her passport, hate to think what would have happened to the teacher if my kid had lost it cause my kid is double the size of that little lady and she has my temper too smiley - sadface

Post 19

I'm not really here

I don't get red mists, I get a bright white rage that's pure and clean and sadly for me very enjoyable.

I admit it, I like being angry. smiley - wah

Post 20

Researcher 1300304

i once had the 'pleasure' of beating up a boss who had stolen several thousands of dollars from me. i was physically ill afterwards, not because of injury but as a result of the adrenalin involved.

and before anyone assumes i'm a thug; he started it.

Key: Complain about this post